Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 05:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Trouble D/Ling DoomRL from CF  (Read 4794 times)

dreamician

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Trouble D/Ling DoomRL from CF
« on: February 20, 2010, 19:11 »

Hi Chaosforge community,

I'd really like to download and play DoomRL.

However, I've tried over 9 times to download the windows executable...

from this page -> http://doom.chaosforge.org/downloads

using this URL -> http://doom.chaosforge.org/file_download/4/doomrl-win-099.zip

I'm using Firefox 3.5.8 (latest update), Windows XP.

The download process exhibits some strange behavior... it won't let me pause the download in Firefox, and it always gives me "unknown time remaining" and won't show a total file size, just a running count of KB downloaded so far.

When I use DownThemAll (firefox plugin) each download stops, and the size of the downloaded zip file varied in size, everywhere from 1.63MB to 2.66MB, never the size listed on the download page [2.05MB] In each case I try testing the archive in 7-zip and get the error: "doomrl-win-099.zip is not supported archive"

When I try right-click -> save-as, I get this error after a seemingly random time: "doomrl-win-099.zip could not be saved, because the source file could not be read. Try again later, or contact the server administrator."

Q: Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Q: Is there an alternate download link, or some other site hosting the executable? I've tried googling with no luck... I found one other site offering a download, but it was for DoomRL 0.9.8.10. I'd like the latest version.

Thanks!

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble D/Ling DoomRL from CF
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 19:47 »

The download process exhibits some strange behavior... it won't let me pause the download in Firefox, and it always gives me "unknown time remaining" and won't show a total file size, just a running count of KB downloaded so far.
Hm. Downloading it again, I've noticed this. However, the file size totaled 2.05MB, as it should, and seems to run properly.

That said, have you tried using Firefox 3.6?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 19:50 by UnderAPaleGreySky »
Under a pale grey sky, we shall arise.

dreamician

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 20:03 »

Naw. I have a few firefox addons that aren't compatible with 3.6. So I'm going to hold off until those are updated. The problem definately isn't firefox, I just tried dl'ing with IE and have the same problem--the download stops before getting the whole file...

The only other non-server-related factor I can think of is that I'm using a dial-up connection...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 20:08 by dreamician »

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 05:13 »

Try using any other browser (no, that's not an euphemism for IE). If the problem persists, then it's probably an issue with dialup. Considering the bulk of downloads from CF, and the fact that you are first to report a problem, I unfortunately have to assume that the problem is on client-side.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 06:17 »

Tried downloading it thru a proxy server? (insert the download link in xx7.nl or something)

Also maybe an interesting Q: Do you have the same problem with the other downloadables from chaosforge.org or not?
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 09:10 »

It's the dial-up, coupled with the inability to resume.

Not too many dial-up users left to report it in the end; I end up just downloading new versions in town.

leonresevil2

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 12:38 »

Interesting. I believe I have gotten both versions 0.9.8.10 and 0.9.9 while on my dialup connection (which I am using right now. I have had no problems with downloading zip folders in firefox.  I use Download Statusbar, and probably had Fx 3.5.6 or something earlier when I downloaded DoomRL 0.9.9. Could be your dialup service. But I would say it's not dialup as a whole.

Correction: I tried, and I have the same issue. I think I may have had the same issue when 0.9.9 first came out. I may be wrong, it may be dial up. But I don't understand why it would be, since I am able to download other things (Downloaded Minitab 15 the other day, took several hours, but worked fine) just fine on dial up.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 12:42 by leonresevil2 »

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 13:27 »

I've run into a great many file servers that cut you off for hogging a connection for too long, though they usually support resuming the download, so a download manager eventually gets the file anyway.

dreamician

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 15:03 »

Correction: I tried, and I have the same issue. I think I may have had the same issue when 0.9.9 first came out. I may be wrong, it may be dial up. But I don't understand why it would be, since I am able to download other things (Downloaded Minitab 15 the other day, took several hours, but worked fine) just fine on dial up.

Ok, so it's not just me!

Would anyone be interested in uploading the zip to a file sharing site, like http://www.mediafire.com/ or something similar and throwing me a link?

Otherwise I guess I am S.O.L...

:)

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 19:59 »

I'm still technically AWOL, but once I'm back on Monday, I'll post you a link if you're still lacking the 0.9.9 glory.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

leonresevil2

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 17:55 »

To add new information on the issue, I downloaded the new Sandbox replay, which downloaded as "Unknown" size at first, as Dreamician first mentioned. The file worked, just did not give a time or size estimate. I think it may be some kind of issue between the server and low-speed connections, not sure what or why.

As for Dreamician and anyone else on dial-up, you can download the file, it will just take a while (probably an hour I'd say), just watch the running download size and wait for it to hit the size of the file you are downloading (2.05 mb for 0.9.9). Get on and start downloading sometime when you don't need to do other things on your internet connection. You should get it eventually. If it ends prematurely (~2.04 mb or less) then I would test it, and maybe retry downloading. If it goes past the size (over 2.06 mb) then you have done something strange and unexplainable. =)
Good luck, and hopefully happy DoomRL-ing!

dreamician

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 03:36 »

Thanks for the tip. I tried it and still no luck. Hopefully Tavana will come through with a link for me!

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 04:16 »

Try this link, and tell me if it works:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4184221/doomrl-win-099.zip
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

dreamician

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 15:17 »

Thanks! Downloaded and running fine. This is a fun game.

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 01:51 »

Just wait until the next release!
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.
Pages: [1]