Chaosforge Forum

• March 18, 2024, 19:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Modding wishlist  (Read 26820 times)

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Modding wishlist
« on: February 27, 2010, 10:20 »

Kornel asked me recently to start writing up a wishlist for things in modding, so here it is. This will be updated when new thoughts come to me, feel free to add your own wishes, but remember - no guarantees are beeing made that anything on the list appears, unless Kornel says so himself ;)

Color map:
In release
In beta
In SVN
Impossible to add or denied feature
Duplicate

1. Make exotics available.
2. Make uniques available except the ones that *really* need to stay "behind the curtain" (a category occupied mostly by Dragonslayer I think :P).
3. An option to make "unmodable" content to either drop randomly as normal or not (i.e. if Dragonslayer gets hidden modders should have an option do they want it to drop as it does in regular game or not).
4. An similar option to block out "core" monsters and items from spawning
5. A teleport flag for monsters - makes them phase near the player when he gets in sigh
6. A flag or event that makes monster perform one final attack on death, provided that he is able to (player in sight/weapon range, enough ammo in magazine, etc.)
7. Ability to give the monster up to 3-4 weapons and have them switch between them (possibly flags for weapons to define on what range what weapon gets used?)
8. "Vampiric" flag for weapons and monsters
9. A flag that allows the weapon to gain ammo when it sits in alternate slot and monsters get killed by other equipped weapon (Denied)
10. A clearFlag hook for items. Come to think of it setFlag and clearFlag for cells might be of use
11. Way of clearing monsters or items on the map "on demand".
12. Hook that would allow weapon to do stuff on fire. Needs to be able to mess with wielder's stats using this, and ideally it would proc *after* creatures OnAction
13. Ability to tinker with how much "hp" armor has (Denied; EDIT: isn't this doable with maxdurability?)
14. Ability to set hp and armor durability to display actual hp rather than % (denied)
15. Reverse knockback flag - i.e. ability to have weapons that suck the target towards origin of attack/explosion rather than away from it (Denied)
Spoiler: Aggregated Items (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 15:10 by Game Hunter »
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
Re: Modding wishlist.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 11:09 »

5 can be done with linedefs and dropBeing(), but it's hackish
6 can be probably be done with the OnDie hook, but I don't think you can spawn a missile from there.
7 can be done with some abuse of OnCreate.

Of course just because something is possible doesn't mean that the interface shouldn't change to make it easy.

I would like:
16. a getCell feature (in whatever roundabout method is necessary; I just want complete access to the level)
17. a getBeings feature (so you can loop through and mess with every being in a level)
18. All hardcoded IDs not being hardcoded
19. A way to fill a custom level with a randomly generated one (that way I can have a half-random, half-custom level)
20. Ability to influence level generation (Aargh!  Caves!  Also, change item/being weights and the like mid-game)
21. AI tweaks
22. More control over music (in-level music changes)
23. A door flag for cells
24. Chainable custom levels (with and without ability to skip normal levels as a result)
25. A hierarchy of hooks (For instance, you can hook an individual weapon's OnKill hook, all OnKill hooks for a level, or all OnKill hooks for the entire game!  Some already do this)
26. A way to bounce grenade shots so that SkulltagRL is viable (Denied)
27. More hooks!  Hooks are where the power is >)

I'm all for more power.  Though the one I *really* want is getCell.

Just setting up a unified number list for stuff that we ask for - Malek
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 13:36 by Malek Deneith »

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
Re: Modding wishlist
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 08:13 »

28. A hook for creating our own levers
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 16:15 by Kornel Kisielewicz »

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 08:08 »

Moar!

29. Ability to have weapon reload without any ammunition involved (and by "reload" I mean when pressing 'r' rather than automatic regeneration of amunition)
30. A flag that makes enemies destroy walls that are destructible (Denied)
31. Short charge/jump attack bulldemons in BerserkRL have
32. If possible long charge attack - further range, goes for set distance or until hits wall, damages and knocks to the side beings that are in path (thus allowing for the charge to go "through" the target), has a "cooldown" afterwards (representing monster losing momentum and turning to attack again, also prevents the player from being spammed by that) (Denied)
33. Self-destruct attack for monsters? (Perhaps possible already by giving monsters melee range exploding attack, would need to check) Can't be done. I can haz Being.explosion plz? ^^" Edit: Ideally this should allow for both "zomg I make myself go boom" and "agh, dying I'll go boom" :P
34. A flag that makes monsters inactive until they see player (i.e. they do nothing, except perhaps idle sounds :P). Perhaps also "player sighted" soundbind if this flag does get created?

35. Ability to make item "unique" in the sense that player can't carry more than one of these at the same time.
36. Ability to spawn mosnters and items exactly on chosen coordinates. Apparently dropBeing and dropItem handle these, yaaaay. Though add mentions there are unsafe for some reason, so it might be worth looking into anyway.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 13:37 by Malek Deneith »
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 11:03 »

37.  Split CF_BLOCKMOVE into a BLOCKMOVE and BLOCKMISSILE flag (and possibly even a BLOCKPLAYER).  That way we can make windows that can be shot through but not walked through and gateways that can be walked through but not shot through.
38.  Do not make the UNIQUE flag automatically mean UNDESTROYABLE.  We already have a flag for that.
39.  NODESTROY flag, when applied to powerups, currently prevents them from being destroyed when consumed.  That can already be replicated with hooks.  What I want is a powerup immune to splash damage, not infinite uses.
40.  Any other flags that serve two purposes should be split up.
46.  Powerups should have customizable ascii....
47.  Should doors and barrels really be cells?  Possibly this will be taken care of when furniture like flair is added... (Will not be done)
41.  Ability to fine tune player inventory--hook equip, remove, remove individual items, etc.
42.  Adding ammo to inventory directly should stack properly.

I need Simon to search through his logs for 'wish'.   I know a lot of things are coming and that design changes might render a lot of these moot but requests 27-32 I really want :)

*more*
43.  Player.win() can specify win type
44.  add Player.lose()
45.  Some way to mess with the UI similar to berserk, inv, and env suits but without going through affects.  UI.setColorEffect(foreground, background, invert)?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 16:17 by Kornel Kisielewicz »

bricks

• Elder
  • Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 14:42 »

Not very Doomish, but so very necessary for a solid Bioshock mod...

46.  Flags for setting creatures as nonhostile, so they can be designated to attack under certain conditions.
47.  Some way to designate sides in a fight, including a setting for solo fighters.
48.  Flags for setting creatures as "defensive" - attack opponents if their charge (ward? master?) is attacked.  (Could probably be faked if 46 was implemented.)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 13:37 by Malek Deneith »

you

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • First Sergeant
  • I am You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 14:54 »

49. Being.clearSlot(CONST_SLOT) function to free only one slot
50. Being.unEqSlot(CONST_SLOT) function to move equiped item to inventory
51. Item.drop() function to make holder drop item
52. Unlock Level.put in mid-game
53. Ability to control being movement (something like Being.move(COORD_X, COORD_Y))
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 16:18 by Kornel Kisielewicz »

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 09:22 »

54: 'spread' flag works on rapidfire weapons in the way you'd expect it to (not until async comes out though, otherwise it'd be slow)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 16:19 by Kornel Kisielewicz »

fwoop

• Elder
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 19:22 »

These things are all currently possible in the engine, but in an extremely round-about, messy, complicated way. It would be very nice if there was in-built support for them.

55. Custom Flags. If a defined cell/being/item/etc type is given a flag that is not present in base doomrl, the engine automatically creates a ("flag_name" = true) association for that type. Mainly want it for cells. (Denied for DoomRL1)

56. Cell Flag Querying. Being able to ask if a cell on a particular square has a particular flag. ie: cellHasFlag(x, y, cell_flag). Should work with custom flags from mod item 55. (Denied for DoomRL1)

57. Map Table. Holds maps with given names, as is the current case for cell/item/being/etc definitions. Placing the initial map could look like Level.put(2,2,MAP_THISLEVEL).

58. Map Painting. Being able to "paint"/apply maps during play (not just at creation), that are defined with mod item 57. Ie: paint_map(x, y, map_name), paint_map_centered(x, y, map_name).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 16:19 by Kornel Kisielewicz »

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 16:04 »

59.  Access to more engine variables.  The current level's NPC count is the only one I can think of offhand that I'd like.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 13:38 by Malek Deneith »

you

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • First Sergeant
  • I am You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 09:05 »

60. Ability to toggle trait picking on level up (ability to disable first trait, ability to give traits every 2nd/3rd/4th level up)
61. Reload trait table every levelup.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 12:46 by Malek Deneith »

you

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • First Sergeant
  • I am You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 14:42 »

62. Level.clearLight() to reset level exploration state
63. Player.powerMap(show_items) to explore only the map
64. Ability to choose ASCII character for items
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 13:38 by Malek Deneith »

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 18:57 »

65. Customization of sound volume, attenuation, pitch, and tempo on Being.PlaySound().
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 16:20 by Kornel Kisielewicz »

you

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • First Sergeant
  • I am You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 03:51 »

66. Ability to hook and prevent Player's death, making respawn possible.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 16:20 by Kornel Kisielewicz »

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 18:40 »

67. The bool in Item.OnUse(), which currently determines if a consumable should be, well, consumed, should also determine if a lever's charge is consumed.
68. Currently the odd set of exceptions like blasters and hellgates use special color constants like MULTIYELLOW to display their graphical goodness.  I'd like that to be expanded to a color array instead. (denied)
69. Affects can be quite handy, but not when we are limited to 5.  As is anyone wanting to abuse those must create their own affects-like system in Lua. (denied)
70. Affects should be Effects :) (denied, he he he)
71. Well what about MF_IMMIDATE?  Honestly it took me a while to figure out what that was supposed to be...
72. ItemSets blow away regular item OnEquip messages.  This can be hacked around, or something similar to Being's weapon OnCreate could be added in to make modders saner. (denied)
73. Tweak HUD.  Maybe I want my status bar at the top, or I want to replace the health counter with a vague text description.  Currently we can edit about 11 characters lovingly reserved for the level name, but that still leaves a few rows to adjust. (denied)
74. For full modding: Lua main menu
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 07:14 by Kornel Kisielewicz »
Pages: [1] 2  All