Chaosforge Forum

• April 25, 2024, 02:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Green Armor provide 0 defense, at least below 25% durability  (Read 2245 times)

leonresevil2

I was prepared to list this as a bug, until I examined the version.txt and found the mention.
With armor set to have minimum 1 defense until broken, the Green Armor becomes almost like a weak Onyx Armor. Enemies that grab Green Armors are protected for far longer. Gifting Armors becomes less suitable (I used to use heavily-damaged armors to gift, but now this is not possible). And how do Power Mods factor into this? (I haven't found a power mod yet, and Green Armor is not my prime armor to test it out on.) If Power mods on armor create a locked-in defense (akin to having another level of TaN on while wearing armor), then a power mod on Green Armor would be almost akin to Onyx. Also, from the sounds of the version.txt, all armors (unique or not) cannot be destroyed by explosions and the like, which means that it will be even harder to get rid of and prevent enemies from using Green Armor for themselves.

I personally liked the way that Green Armor (and the other armors) could break down. I may be the only one, but I would like to see armor restored to that format. As mentioned, Green Armor could become useless below 25%, but it needs to become useless at some point before breaking, in my opinion.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Re: Green Armor provide 0 defense, at least below 25% durability
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 13:19 »

I disagree on principle that armor becoming useless at 50% (as it was) or 25% (as you suggest) is exactly that - useless. Essentially that armor could have that much health LESS, because after it goes to point of zero armor it will get discarded anyway.

As fro power mod + green armor giving min-onyx armor. No, it doesn't. It'll still disappear at 0%, so the only real difference between old GA + PM and new GA+PM is that new one will have 3 armor whole way, while old would have 3 armor for half of durability and 2 afterwards.

As regarding to armors not getting destroyed - unless I'm reading it wrong this applies to uniques and uniques only.

And finally in regard to armor gifting becoming less suitable - consider it a feature, as gifting is exploitation of AI :P
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

ChaoticJosh

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 14:03 »

Where do you get that greens are like Onyx's? Onyx has infinite durability, greens don't. Also, I don't get why you "can't" use armors for gifting anymore, it's not like anything with even an iota of usefulness needs to be hoarded beyond all reasoning.

Besides, this actually makes greens a tad more useful, since before you could only wear them until they have below 50% durability, and then you'd have to switch it out or take it off to avoid the -5% speed penalty since the armor was no longer benefiting you in any way.

Fanta Hege

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Will it work? I HAVE NO IDEA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 06:40 »

Maybe they could have another type of a penalty when losing durability such as -increased- knockback?

I personaly like the armor like they are right now though, gives them so much more use.
i dont even know anymore

leonresevil2

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 17:45 »

I was trying to say that gifting armor doesn't work the same now, since armors cannot be broken. Before, you could get enemies to pick up and equip armor with 0 defense. You could lure enemies with it, or you could let them pick it up, and listen for the equip sound. Lastly, the enemies would have 0 added defense, and possibly the move penalty would apply for wearing the armor.

Green armors tend to be in abundance, so I felt the 50% breakoff point was reasonable. Armors seem more durable and lasting now, so it is only reasonable to have one or two on hand, while the levels generate several in the early levels, most of which are used by enemies, and now last far longer on the targets you are attempting to kill.

It's not so much that Greens are like Onyx, but now that armors are more durable, and do not become 0 defense/useless, Onyx becomes less of an impressive armor. With armor that doesn't break down nearly as fast, and the large availability of armors, you can essentially "wear" armor that doesn't break down.

I do like the idea of knockback increasing as armor loses durability. It can impact enemies to the player's benefit, and gives the player a reason to drop off heavily damaged armor. My opinion is that armor should break down eventually from use. After extensive damage, armor would be weaker, maybe have holes in it. An option would be for heavily damaged Green armor (below 25%) to have a "chance" to block damage (50% chance of reducing damage by 1), just to balance out the armor IMO.
Pages: [1]