Chaosforge Forum

• April 15, 2024, 23:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Doodads and other flavor bits  (Read 3058 times)

BEEF

• Lance Corporal
  • Made in Argentina
    • View Profile
Doodads and other flavor bits
« on: March 14, 2010, 12:16 »

Right now, "maze" and "maze of rooms" levels are pretty flavorless. I'm sure some things are planned to spice them up, but hey here's some more:

New doodads: Purely cosmetic flourishes, although they can signify other things. Computer terminals, pentagrams, statues, pipes, walls made of variously-colored materials, that kind of thing.
Windows: Walls that don't block LoS, passable to lost souls.
Self-opening vaults: Small rooms with one or more collapsing wall like in the Hellgate, holding a handful of monsters.
Wasted space: Rooms filled with wall, just to shake things up a little bit.
Storage rooms: Rooms full of barrels, passable but more dense than "this will be a mess" level feeling.

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
Re: Doodads and other flavor bits
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 14:16 »

I like this idea.  I think flair tiles that have a minimal actual impact on gameplay would be very nice to have.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 14:34 »

This is mainly planned for DoomRL 2.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

leonresevil2

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 01:20 »

What about Wasted Space and Storage Rooms for the Maze of Rooms? I think these would be nice, since Maze of Rooms always tends to break down just about the same every time. And as it is, you can always expect the rooms to be open, so you can navigate around enemies and obstacles easily as it is. These new room possibilities put up more challenge for the Maze of Rooms, making the gameplay more random. No new imagery for DoomRL before 2, but these rooms would be similar to levers in random occurrence, but limited to Maze of Rooms designs.

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 07:04 »

Another idea: flooded place with a bridge - similar to the flooded room, but a floor titles connect exits.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 19:54 »

Another idea: flooded place with a bridge - similar to the flooded room, but a floor titles connect exits.

You already get blood/acid rooms that are pretty much like this. It doesn't necessarily make a bridge, but there's usually enough bloodied floor to safely traverse the room.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Doops

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 10:56 »

This is mainly planned for DoomRL 2.

So is DoomRL 2 going to be analogous to Doom->Doom2 (doom 2 added more levels monsters and enemies but was basically the same thing)? Is there more details on this?

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 01:07 »

DoomRL 2 has a hell of a lot more planned for it. Campaign mode, arena mode, et cetera. There's a features list on the DoomRL page, and there's a list of a few things that DoomRL2 has planned scatted about. Some things are on the DoomRL2 bounty, others are on Kornel's blog.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.
Pages: [1]