Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 08:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Couple of newbie questions.  (Read 1604 times)

DarkVoid

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Couple of newbie questions.
« on: March 16, 2010, 18:10 »

Just found Doom RL and lovin' it. A perfect distraction from actually going outside >.>
However, I still kinda suck at it and all the guides I found seem very outdated, so I got a couple of questions.

1) Whats the best skill set-up? I usually go 2 'Tough as Nails', then 'Badass' then (never actually got this far) 2 'Son of a B***h'  and then whatever that unlocks. (I prefer to use guns)

2) How do you deal with the big guys. Stuff like Arachno-robot-spider-thingies and the Barons and such. Usually, I don't have any big toys when I'm facing them and I have to fight them with the combat shotgun and the chaingun. I try to shoot-step sideways-shoot or get them from around the corner, but most of the time, it seems like I'm playing "Who can get shot the most" against a giant monster from Hell (Hint: odds are not in my favor)

Links to (up-to-date) guides are appreciated
Thanks in advance.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Re: Couple of newbie questions.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 18:28 »

1) If it's your first time playing, going for TaN and Iro gives you more room to get up to speed.  Not the best way to actually win the game, but it will give you a nicer feel for it.  HR is nice to have, but only when you've learnt how to dodge.  There's no "best skill" set up -- one can win the game with many different types of builds.  Each build, however, has its own set of challenges and advantages.  Personally, I prefer pistolling, but there are many others who love the shotgun.  Up to your style I suppose.

2) The trick for hitting the big guys is simple: avoid getting hit.  This means taking cover and striking at them one at a time from a safe distance.  Chainguns are bad for the side-step-and-shoot technique due to the inherent inaccuracies of the weapon (chuck an Agility mod on it or take a level of EE), also, the master trait most suited for chainfire weapons (MAc) leaves one with little defensive options.

Lastly, you do not need to always kill every big thing out there: discretion is the better part of valour.  If a YAAM is what you are aiming for, I recommend playing conservatively, and with your headphones on to hear where the monsters are.

The guides are not that outdated -- the lessons they teach are still very relevant.  Meanwhile, have fun!  (=
I computed, therefore I was.
Pages: [1]