Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 15:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Minor lava lever changes  (Read 2579 times)

BEEF

• Lance Corporal
  • Made in Argentina
    • View Profile
Minor lava lever changes
« on: March 29, 2010, 21:28 »

1) "Floods level with lava" levers should have a more interesting message than just "Lava floods up from the floor." Since acid already has the extreme "Oh fuck. OH FUCK!" lava should have something a little more understated, like "Whoops."

2) "Floods room with lava" levers shouldn't appear until level 6. That early on, they're more like "kills player" levers, which isn't terribly exciting or fun.

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
Re: Minor lava lever changes
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 00:07 »

1) "Oh my! I have accidently flipped the "flood level with lava" lever. My mind makes up a lot of invectives about the person who installed this lever here. I am not content and I am not happy at all. Darn. DARN!"

2) They are supossed to kill you, if they are dangerous, don't pull them. You expect that pulling a lever will create a comfy chair and a fireplace so you can sit back and enjoy your decaffeinated coke?
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

BEEF

• Lance Corporal
  • Made in Argentina
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 08:54 »

1) Think more along the lines of "This is so bad that I've forgotten how to swear." Really any flavor text would beat the current descriptive "Lava pours out of the floor." or whatever, I just think understatement would be funnier in context.

2) In other words, "It's not a problem that arch-viles spawn on level 2, if you don't want to die, just don't go to that side of the map!"

The potential benefits of levers should outweigh the risks or else they're not worth using, and this is a balance issue, not a "you're playing wrong" issue. I don't have a problem with levers being risky, I have a problem with them killing the player without warning or escape. Later on, lava levers can be escaped with a phase device, or a large medpack, or an envirosuit, or just having good boots, so they're an expensive risk but usually not fatal. Pull a lever on level 20, you might have to spend one of your large medpacks, or you might get your power modded red armor repaired to full. On level 2, you might gain 10 hp, or you might die. Not exactly comparable risk versus reward there.

I don't see a problem with acid flooding levers at any level, or lava flooding levers after protective items start being generated. "Flood whole level" levers are fine too, because you know exactly what you're getting into there.

Fanta Hege

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Will it work? I HAVE NO IDEA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 11:29 »

To be honest, I kinda agree here, the lava room filling levers are pretty damn cheap to come by in the first 4 levels, you're kinda fucked there no matter what considering you probably don't have any boots, envirosuits, phase decives or anything at all to help you get out in time.

But if you ask me, it should be more tied to the diffuculty level. I don't mind lava filling room lever on level 2 if I play Nightmare! But if you run into a lava filling room lever on HNTR then its pretty much "Oh c'moon..."
i dont even know anymore

Polymeron

• Private FC
  • I juggle shotguns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 11:02 »

You're forgetting that this lever always puts the "you feel that smell?" message at the beginning of the level. In other words, you have a way of knowing on which levels to avoid pulling levers, this risk doesn't carry into all other levels. Just like I always pull all levers on Humid levels to flood the place and drown corpses and damage tiles.
.mortem or it didn't happen.

BEEF

• Lance Corporal
  • Made in Argentina
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 12:00 »

Sorry if I was unclear, I'm talking about two different things here. The first part is about the levers that have their own level feeling and flood the whole level, the second part is about the levers that have no message and only flood a single room. The "flood level with lava" levers are fine as they are, I'd just like them to have a more entertaining message when you use them. The "flood room with lava" levers are what will kill you without warning, if you happen to be unlucky enough to pull one before boots or large medpacks or phase devices or envirosuits start appearing.

And yeah, tying the minimum depth to difficulty level seems reasonable, just a little more complicated.
Pages: [1]