Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 09:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Backpack as an Exotic Powerup  (Read 2775 times)

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
Backpack as an Exotic Powerup
« on: March 29, 2010, 21:37 »

You know, like Megasphere.  In addition, the Backpack could also give you small amounts of every type of ammo (ala the original game), inventory space notwithstanding, as to have a purpose once it's already been obtained a first time.  Maybe half a slot of each (including the Backpack's space, so 70 12mm, 7 rockets, etc).  Since exotics now exist, and Megasphere looks just like an exotic, I was hoping that Backpack could be reorganized as to allow for the possibility of AoMr or AoSg players to get that extended space.

Alternatively, limit it to floors 26-100 on A100 as a way for Centurial players to get one.

I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Polymeron

• Private FC
  • I juggle shotguns
    • View Profile
Re: Backpack as an Exotic Powerup
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 10:08 »

You know, like Megasphere.  In addition, the Backpack could also give you small amounts of every type of ammo (ala the original game), inventory space notwithstanding, as to have a purpose once it's already been obtained a first time.  Maybe half a slot of each (including the Backpack's space, so 70 12mm, 7 rockets, etc).  Since exotics now exist, and Megasphere looks just like an exotic, I was hoping that Backpack could be reorganized as to allow for the possibility of AoMr or AoSg players to get that extended space.

Alternatively, limit it to floors 26-100 on A100 as a way for Centurial players to get one.
This.

Agree with every single word on this. Shouldn't be too hard to implement, either.
.mortem or it didn't happen.

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 12:10 »

Since exotics now exist, and Megasphere looks just like an exotic, I was hoping that Backpack could be reorganized as to allow for the possibility of AoMr or AoSg players to get that extended space.
Well, it's already possible to get the backpack on all challenges bar AoPu and Ao100, so this suggestion only really has the benefit of making it available to Ao100 players; so far as I can tell, the special levels are removed in order to prevent the player having guaranteed awesome gear as well as a high character level. So, I'm gonna gave to go against it.
Under a pale grey sky, we shall arise.

action52

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 19:56 »

They still wouldn't be guaranteed any awesome gear. It just means they would have a chance of maybe getting it, if they were really lucky. I mean, most games you never even see a Megasphere unless you do special levels or play Ao100, right? So if the backpack was even rarer than that, it would hardly ever affect your game. It would just be that, every once in awhile you might find it and be overjoyed at your luck. Or you might beat The Wall, using up all your medpacks, rockets, and armor, emerging with 8% health. Then you find a backpack 2 steps into the next level, and you're like "Why couldn't you have appeared one level sooner?"

These kinds of things are what make roguelikes fun.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 19:00 »

AoMr and AoSg (and AoB, to be technical) all carry the possibility to get the Backpack, although that's already requiring some massive luck (whether it be blaster/jackal, or plasma shotgun(?), or just an appropriate amount of phases) by the time the Wall shows up, which can be as early as floor 7.  If we consider the odds of finding a Megasphere in a game that isn't A100, I don't think it would ever be a problem that players would find it too easily.  We could create an exception that they can only appear in vaults (which are nasty little rooms, not to mention no explosions) to create a sufficient challenge on the rare occasion they appear.

The only one that doesn't allow for a Backpack is A100 which, in my opinion, really biases the player to wanting Ammochain in order to eliminate ammo conservation problems.  I just finished an A100 game without MAc and only got through a couple of tight spots because I was lucky enough to have BOTH the nuclear plasma and nuclear BFG.  Cells are already a problem, taking up double the space of bullets, and bullets are used up FAST after a few floors.  Rockets become a staple but prevent you from collecting most ammo (same is true of BFG) so you can end up in some nasty, ammoless situations, especially on harder difficulties (except N!...but that's a bit of an exception).  The chance of finding a Backpack early enough would be a nice relief: 40% increased capacity is significant, lemme tell ya.  Should it end up later...well, it's still plenty possible, I managed without the nuclear gear until the 90s.

(Just as a side-note, I managed the run using neither MAc nor Intuition.  It was HNTR and I was bored, what can I say.)
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Angles of death

• Second Lieutenant
  • HOLD. DEVILS. POT OF TEA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 02:11 »

Sounds awesome!

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 21:26 by Angles of death »
...........A...A....M...A.....V
......V.............@......A..>
........V....V..C....B....B..A
Take a look to the sky just before you die it's the last time he will!!!
Pages: [1]