Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 07:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Improved trait display screen; better support for soundless players  (Read 2093 times)

bricks

• Elder
  • Private FC
    • View Profile

First:  The trait screen makes me a little crazy, since I have to constantly scroll up and down to see what blocks what.  When hovering over a trait, it should darken (or otherwise indicate) traits that the selected trait would block.

Second:  I usually play shotguns, and I always play with sound muted.  I'd love if I could "scout" with the combat shotgun and have a text message played in addition to the sound.  I guess learning the sounds of the different baddies is sort of an acquired skill, so if all I got was a message that said "You hear something scream!" or similar, I'd be satisfied. 

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike

Why play soundless, anyway?  I might turn off music sometimes because I feel like having something else play (and am too lazy to add in my own) but sound is absolutely vital, whether it's monster noises or sergeants reloading or damage from blind-shooting.

Although there is a way to notice not only if enemies are there, but where exactly, without sound, so long as you've seen that area of the map before (prominent in places like Hell's Arena and Spider's Lair or arena/cave maps or, best-case, getting a Computer Map).  If you hit 'em, there's a darn good chance it'll bloody up their tile, which appears even if you don't have vision of that tile.

If this IS put into play, make it something toggleable.  For players without sound it may be useful, but for those of us who do it'll just be another thing to potentially hit enter for, slogging down the game.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

bricks

• Elder
  • Private FC
    • View Profile

Yeah, an init setting would make sense.  Anyway, lots of other sound-related things already show up as messages, which suggests to me that certain sounds simply haven't been implemented.  Once the game becomes more moddable, adding this in would be pretty easy, but I think it makes sense as a standard feature.

The fact that bloodied tiles/doors still show up for visited tiles bothers me, I've often wondered whether that was intended or just a weakness of the engine.  But thanks for the tip!

action52

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

Why play soundless, anyway?

Sometimes I play a quick level or two at work during my break. Or sometimes I'll play when everyone is sleeping, and I don't want to wake anyone, and if I wear headphones I may not hear if the baby wakes up.

Plus, what about deaf players? We have features to accommodate the blind, so why not a feature for the deaf?

In other words, I am strongly in favor of this. But I agree that it should be an option that you would toggle on or off, just like the options for the blind can be toggled.
Pages: [1]