Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 19:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Grenade Launcher/Bouncing weapons  (Read 4053 times)

GenTechJ

• Tester - DoomRL Staff
  • Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Hail to the king baby!
    • View Profile
Grenade Launcher/Bouncing weapons
« on: April 12, 2010, 19:25 »

While working on some weapons in sandbox, and after looking around the wiki and asking on the board discovered a proper grenade launcher or grenade like items aren't possile due to lack of bounceable projectiles.

Is this something that can be implemented?

Would anyone else want this?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 19:26 by GenTechJ »

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
Re: Grenade Launcher/Bouncing weapons
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 12:30 »

Seconding request.

'Undoomish' criticisms aside it's something mods will want.  Missiles are currently somewhat limited.

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 12:59 »

Thirded, maybe we can expand the current 3-class weapon system into four classes: (P)istol Class, (S)hotgun Class, (L)auncher Class, and (M)elee Weapons since only L-Class weapons would need a Bouncing Ammo flag...
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 13:13 »

Bouncing for use with grenades would be indeed nice, but personally I can't imagine how it could work in roguelike.

Oh and, should it somehow come to be - nay on limiting it to one weapon class. If someone wants to - for example - recreate hyperblaster with bouncing shots from Q4 (however silly the idea is), then he should be able to.
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

GenTechJ

• Tester - DoomRL Staff
  • Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Hail to the king baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 16:42 »

Bouncing for use with grenades would be indeed nice, but personally I can't imagine how it could work in roguelike.

Oh and, should it somehow come to be - nay on limiting it to one weapon class. If someone wants to - for example - recreate hyperblaster with bouncing shots from Q4 (however silly the idea is), then he should be able to.

Agreed on not limiting it to a weapon class. Some of the Quake games have some weapons that just won't work in the default weapon class system, same with some of the enemies.

Thrown grenades should bounce too, in my opinion, or roll, possibly a combination of the two.

Note these all make for interesting game play once/if multiplay/deathmatch makes it into DoomRL. Or at least something to consider for DoomRL 2

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 17:15 »

If NetHack can bounce wands we can bounce grenades ;)

I would like fully customizable weapons.  For every action the modder can define everything the weapon and missile could possibly do.  It'd be a lot of work and most weapons would never need that level of customization but there's going to be some crazy weapon somewhere that will need a hook to run every tick it is equipped or something...

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 19:17 »

Ooooooo... I want bouncy shots from shotguns that blow up after one bounce off a wall.  =P
I computed, therefore I was.

bricks

• Elder
  • Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 19:51 »

If NetHack can bounce wands we can bounce grenades ;)

I would like fully customizable weapons.  For every action the modder can define everything the weapon and missile could possibly do.  It'd be a lot of work and most weapons would never need that level of customization but there's going to be some crazy weapon somewhere that will need a hook to run every tick it is equipped or something...

Second this.  The grenade thing (traveling a fixed distance, rolling, bouncing off walls) should probably get its own treatment since its a pretty basic desire, but there's a level of control that just currently isn't there.

Forgot to mention - we could use a sticky thread for modding feature requests, although I'm not sure that Kornel wants that just yet.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 19:55 by bricks »

GenTechJ

• Tester - DoomRL Staff
  • Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Hail to the king baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 21:17 »

Second this.  The grenade thing (traveling a fixed distance, rolling, bouncing off walls) should probably get its own treatment since its a pretty basic desire, but there's a level of control that just currently isn't there.

Forgot to mention - we could use a sticky thread for modding feature requests, although I'm not sure that Kornel wants that just yet.

Third the quote
Second the sticky idea

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 04:16 »

Uh... http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php/topic,2826.0.html
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1]