Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 23:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Furnance of Chaos - a DF Succesion Game!  (Read 5344 times)

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Furnance of Chaos - a DF Succesion Game!
« on: April 16, 2010, 15:10 »

Gameplay Order:
1051 - Malek (Legends die, one dwarf does also, not very much done beyond that)
1052 - Gargulec
1053 - Madtrix
1054 - Xander
1055 - ??? This space for rent ???

Well, we were talking on IRC, and http://www.boingboing.net/2010/04/15/colossal-turing-mach.html came up, so the discussion moved to DF...And so, it has been decided that I would make this post to see if there was any interest in a Succesion game!

For those who don't know, crash course.

Dwarf Fortress is a complex game where you control a band of Dwarves trying to live life in an underground fortress.

A succesion game is where a bunch of people get together and run a fort. Common form is one person gets a game year each, then they post their experiences and the save for the next ruler of the fort.

Simple, right? So, if you're interested, post here! Also post if you have any questions.

Oh, and: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/ to download, for those that don't have it.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 10:06 by Malek Deneith »
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
Re: Furnance of Chaos - a DF Succesion Game!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 15:12 »

Me me me! Me wants to learn DF!
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.

Xander Morhaime

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Colonel
  • Boot to the head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 15:34 »

I'm game.
12. A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 05:13 »

Wide image warning - scrollbar appears at bottom of the post, can't help it I'm afraid.

Riiight. I was asked to start this thing up in hopes that some action will bring more interest so here we go

Our world - "Niralthur, The Portentous Universe"
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yeah, that purple mountain range in middle is something like DF quivalent of Mordor. That's where we're going.

Embark location - we have some good regions, some evil mountains, a bit of neutral lands and a lot of river. Plus some aquifier in "good lands", joy

So let's get this party started - originally I intended to do an "in-character" journal, I even "dwarfed" myself as our bookkeeper/organizer/trader/semi-competent hammerdwarf but looking at it now I have neither mood nor enough notes from the game to do it properly so you'll have to excuse me and bear with loose OOC commentary to what screens I've made. So let's start as our dwarven group "Workers of the Void" arrives to set up foundations for new fortress named "Furnance of Chaos". What's the worst that can hap-

-well fuck:
Seriously, how often do you run into a cave with a legnedary ettin in your starting zone?

Dig, dig, dig... run, run, run... I've immidietly set up digging zone and stockpiles as far away from ettin-region as dwarfenly possible and hoped for the best (I've neded up digging that big room a bit more up, because apparently you can't build buildings within a few squares of the edge and I wanted my trade depot somwhere there)

It wasn't long before a pack of skeletal mountain goats started to harass dwarfs moving the goods from the wagon (apparently I managed to make a screenshot that doesn't show any of them, only the least bit of message about job interrupt), thankfully our pair of wardogs started to running *them* around giving us the chance to swipe some more goods, my hammer and cat leather armor included, which probably helped because at some point

...a skeletal troll came to the party...

...I quickly militarized my avatar, but troll was a bit too close it seems because he jumped to fight right away not picking up his equipment. Fearing for the worst I mobilized everyone else
And as a result our expedition leader came and cut the skeletal menace to pieces - somewhere along the way the goats got killed too. (Expedition leader got much later dwarfed as "Epyon" :P He also lost a finger in that fight)

Now this is not that important, but my avatar apparently started to like his robe - if he continues to rack up notable kills it might become a semi-artifact in the future

Built a nice large refuse pile for the remains to rot

And then ran into aquifier when trying to build living quarters and stockpiles, runining my plans - I had to dig three more levels deeper to get under that blasted thing. Oh and one of our wardogs succumbed to wounds from the goats. Second followed shortly.

Realizing I don't have anything to trade I've set up our herbalist/grower to do some stonecrafting

And on 24th malachite I got my first wave of migrants. Idiots came from worst possible direction and after some running around like a bunch of headless chickens-
URIST MCDWARF HAS STARTLED THE WITCHETTIN
-prety much this. Surprisingly enough the herbalist that did this managed to get a few bruises on the Ettin...
The other migrants were:
marksdwarf/gem-cutter/gem-setter
fisherdwarf/suturer
farmer of many dabbling skills
pikedwarf/lye maker (when someone gets to making weapons and armor draft him - he looked quite competent)
and a child

...so after some debate I've mobilized my hammerdwarf and decided to give a try. He proceeded to bash the brain out of said ettin (literally) quite quickly. Legends do fall.

Though not before Ettin managed to break Herbalist's spine - which is a damn shame because that Herbalist became legnedary wrestler during the fight. I tried setting up a hospital (now removed - build a proper one later) and appoining a med-dwarf but it doesn't help much. At the end of the year guy still lies in a coma, and even if he does wake up with broken spine he's worthless (built him a tomb later, he deserves that much at least)

And on first sandstone we got another migrant wave - I prefer to think that they were drawn by news of legendary beast getting slain
This wave consisted of:
engraver/diagnostician (currently our cheif med dwarf, does smoothing/engraving in spare time)
trapper
high master mason
dyer
woodcutter with other stuff
weaponsmith
bone carver
high master tresher

We have a skeletal giant bat finally flew down to annoy us (I think it was because I ordered various loot that littered the ground around ex-ettin-cave to be gathered) - he managed to kill the trapper. Trapper got entombed, bat still (un)lives

We've run out of booze at some point

Soon after I noticed that caravan came... And almost managed to ride away because our trader had oh so much important stuff to do. In the end I had someone else trade - it got us some booze but not much - for whatever reason caravan owners brought mostly barells of blood. Also bought some glass (in cease of moods) cave lobsters/turtles (for shell in cease of mood) a bit of leather and as many plump helmets as I could

We had few monkeys raiding our stocks - didn't get to react, but they didn't steal anything of value

Standard talks with outpost liason - we want booze, they want crafts. Nothing out of ordinary here.

Bat strikes again and kills a cat. He's got himself a name already.

Aaaaaand that's mostly it. A few notes:
-Farm is almost ready - what you need is a lever, floodgate and digging out one space that is left between river and place where floodgate will be. But before you do flood anything wait for dwarfs to remove metal ore from cistern below - spent good amount of time on digging this out (except for regions that are under the river) and it would be a shame to let it waste - currently it's all set to be put in dump
-Speaking of which that 1 square area between doors to refuse stockpile is our dump - meant mostly for rocks, but currently it also has some metal ores because I didn't have time to dig out custom stockpiles for metal ore. Somebody should do that and reclaim stuff in the dump
-We're a bit short on food, but I've ordered prepared meals to be made, hopefully it'll help
-Hammerdwarf has some issue with equipment pickup, and sometimes starts to drop and pick up his gear over and over again. Not much can be done with that, if it ever happens when you need him to kill try cancelling attack order and giving it again (though usually it's giving an kill/move order that helps)
-We got ettin skeleton in the refuse pile. I leave it to other leaders to decide do they want to make bone crafts from it or wait for a mood needing bone and hope it'll get used. Note it's listed as "partial skeleton" so - as far as I've heard - there might be need for butchery shop to put it to pieces before.
-Oh and the goats and other undead things appear regularly. We also have a herd of Unicorn hopping here and there I don't trust it.

I think that's all, not sure what the order was supposed to be after me - somebody set up a list and take the save. Gargulec's turn.

Save: http://www.sendspace.com/file/9a8h8i

Oh and it's common practice for player to name ("dwarf") one dwarf after himself. It's also fairly common to take "dwarfing" requests from readers.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 10:04 by Malek Deneith »
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Xander Morhaime

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Colonel
  • Boot to the head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 15:04 »

Since for whatever reason G's game keeps crashing, Mad, could you take over for him instead?
12. A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 14:39 »

I'll see what I can do.
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]
Pages: [1]