Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 08:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Garden of The Dark PBF - Main Thread  (Read 30460 times)

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
Garden of The Dark PBF - Main Thread
« on: April 21, 2010, 15:13 »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Prologue : Hell beneath.
"I'm not afraid of high. It's just unsettling, a possibility to spit my lungs away before I'll meet the ground."

Planet Thyss.

Until the end of M39 and the beginning of M40, a backwater somewhere rimward from Lathes.
Despite, sometimes pleasant, tropical climate, mostly settled by orks. And malaria.
Today, after a discovery made in M40.002 by some misled expedition, an important corner of the galaxy.
The reason is a deposit.
Rare black marble, so much loved by noblemen from the whole Calixis sector, especially Malfian nobility, is being mined here.
Few trading houses have forseen the potential very quickly. Now, the whole place is worth approximately a small battlefleet.
Its loss would result in global unrest, that is a certain thing.
Perhaps this is why the Inquisition are interested in the place recently. Ordo Hereticus were almost as much expected as a rain in the midday.
But... Ordo Xenos ?

The green-blue globe of the planet is visible perfectly in the light of stars through the large, round-shaped window, the only one in the square hall around a hundred square metres you find yourself in.
Despite "The Madman" trading ship being an ancient work of Mechanicus steelshapers, the room does not look too much rusty or shabby, even if almost unfurnished. Banners of crimson red with a cog-wheel mark and those of white, wearing a golden "I" hang on the wall opposite the fenetre, some oil-painting illuminated by two lamp-packs right between the canvas makes a good impression along with a hulking round table of steel, with an Adeptus Mechanicus symbol carved in the middle. There are around eight not really comfortable chairs around it.
On the other walls massive door of steel can be seen, one on each, being in peaceful symmetry.
This is where you were told you are going to meet your new employer, the Magos Militiant Interrogator Mordecai Van Bohr.
A chronometer above the painting ticks silently, reminding you that the Interrogator is a bit late already.
Minutes pass in silence as you wait for your further fate to be revealed.

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
Re: Garden of The Dark PBF - Main Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 15:27 »

In the corner of the room, slender women sat. She wrapped herself tightly in a drab robe, and kept her head down, so that all you could were moderately long, ashen hair covering her face. Next to her, large backpack laid, almost as big as she was.
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.

Aramilllion

• Lance Corporal
  • Metal heals my soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 10:51 »

Dressed in his Adeptus Arbites' uniform and combat armour, Ramirez took a seat opposite to the window, removed his backpack and loosened some of his armour's straps. As soon as he did that, started to examine every individual present in the hall, one by one, presuming about their abilities and advantages. Afterwards Ramirez took his time, relaxed, and coolly contemplated the view of the planed behind the window with his face apparently emoting nothing but patience.
Deep in his soul, Arbitrator was most cheerful, for once again appeared an opportunity to serve his Emperor.
Space Marines never die, they just go to Hell to regroup.
Blood! Blood for the Blood God!

Xander Morhaime

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Colonel
  • Boot to the head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 05:59 »

The doors opened, and a late arrival stomped on in, not trying to be the least bit careful about its heavy footfalls. Though it was wrapped in rags covered with blood and dirt, it had the unmistakeable figure of an Ork - big, broad shoulders, hunched back, stooped posture... The creature also had an impressively thick collar around its likewise thick neck. It stomped over to one of the chairs, jingling with loose metal pieces held somewhere about its person, probably in the large backpack slung over one shoulder.

Eventually it settled in a chair with a grunt, and a creak of protest from the chair. Its beady little red eyes studied those present for a while, as if appraising them for whatever purposes, then rather unceremoniously dumped some of the contents of its pack onto the table - a very peculiar collection of mechanical and electronic parts, among them what looked like a bionic eye and a couple of large batteries. Since the others at the table didn't seem to warrant the Ork's attention, it set to trying to bash the various pieces into something useful.

Ork mechanics in action. A fascinating show, to be sure.
12. A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 15:16 »

A few minutes passed through on intensive swearing, sounds of metal bashing against metal and iron-glass, scratching heads and other mek-activities, finally resulting in a part of a table turning red-hot for a while, as an open bionic visual sensor cast out a thin burst of red light. Ork's facial expression changed from heavy, teeth-clenching concentration to cheerness in a blink of an eye.

Nothing more could happen, though, as iron gates in the wall of the room opened with a loud hiss, revealing three strange figures in the depth of corresponding room. Dim light oozed through the portal, casting shadows on the floor of iron.

One of three humanoids, one of two clad in long robes, the only one with visible mechadendrites - at least one arm, hanging idle in the air, stepped forward, his steps echoing loudly in the silence that came as strangers appeared.
Around 1,80 metre high, thin, spacious robes of crimson red almost making him drown. A little metal plate flashing with few diodes, visibly straying from the neck.
As he walked to the light, his features became more visible.
Around forty years old, judging from the handsome, long face, suprisingly bearing no filration mask - but emblazoned with a short triangular beard of dark blonde instead, bald head bearing tattoos, those reminding slightly of some tech-scheme. Only the backhead seemed to bear hair, slightly long and pretty much in disorder. The man had his left eye bionic, its red circle shining warmly, as if in opposition to steel-like apple of the right one. Cables and wires coming out from the sensor's body blended with his fluffy mullet. Ironic smile danced on the Magos's thin lips as he looked at you. He raised his right hand in a gesture of greeting, showing it is not of weak flesh anymore. Bolter-mechadendrite waved also with a silent yell.

"Ah, so those are my humble subordinates, no ?", he uttered merrily, smiling. The artifical, cybernetic timbre of his voice sounded awkwardly, its low-frequency waves bouncing from the facets of steel and making weak-stomached feel uneasy. "I beg you forgived me for me being late. Important matters were holding me back.", he added after a while, more seriously.

You can see a servo-skull flying nearby the woman in the room's corner. It gives away a few loud cracks, then starts translating the Tech-Priest's words into some other than Low Gothic language, supposedly its higher, more noble version.

"I am Magos Militiant Interrogator Mordecai Van Bohr, faithful servant of my mistress, name of which you are not meant to know... for now, and of the Omnissiah, Machine-God, Father of All Knowledge. I, and so are you since now, am working for the Holy Ordo Xenos, task of which is to neutralize any threats for the Humanity coming from the outside."

He pulls out a data-slate, grunts, and continues after a while, looking at the device from time to time.

"No time to waste. Let us proceed with the briefing, if you please.
Only a few months ago on a mining colony there, on Thyss..."
, the Magos pointed at the window with his iron hand, "...authorities started noticing a series of wierd accidents happening to local workers. Accidents, mostly lethal, as our sources say, were irrational events, but happening oftenly enough to cause suspicion. Regulars like to say about a curse over this place... We suppose that it might be linked to recent Ork activity in the region - and a strange building and plant complex uncovered recently on the planet's surface."

Interrogator placed his hands on the table, leaning towards you.

"I must express my deep regret that our information about the site and those happenings is strongly limited, so that you shall have to examine it all by yourselves. Your goal is to identify, and possibly neutralize the reason of those strange phenomena. As you might cogitate, the place, being an important mining site of the black marble, is being watched by agents of noble houses. If we do not accomplish our task as soon as it is possible to accomplish... Well, just imagine."

"You, Arbitrator, are expected to stay here for a little longer. There are a few important matters to discuss before you depart. The rest is dismissed. My assistant shall lead you to the hangar and provide you transport to the site, answering every single question of yours. Come, Inertia, my dear child, do your work and may Omnissiah bless you."

Another figure emerges, the other one following her with loud screeching sounds.
Inertia appears to be young, good-looking and short red-haired woman in her middle twenties. Her flesh shows not many signs of implantation, with an exception for a little plug coming out of her head's side and electoos on her palms. A gun-servitor walks behind her, sweeping the place with its rotten eyes.

"Yes, Magos. Follow me, acolytes.", the young pilot says with a light smile, leaving the place through the other door.

Magos Militiant turns on his heel, starting to walk back and forth through the room, until everyone except the Arbitrator leave the room.

He scratches the back of his head, muttering under his breath : "Where, by the Throne's Omnipotence, are all the missing servitors ?"

The hangar appears to be a huge yet cramped and shabby hall about half an hour of walking from the briefing room. Entering through the mass of huge steel door (bearing, naturally, a Mechanicus sign carved in the middle), you almost become stunned by the brain-tearing racket of engines roaring, mechanisms grinding and pilots taunting to each other. Bright, warm light out from the lamp packs hanging from the ceiling high above makes your eyes tired, and a vivid scent of smoke scratches your lungs. It is suprising that anyone can actually work here around eight hours a day and remain in good condition. In fact, it is impossible...
Around a dozen spacecrafts of a lander class can be seen, being in various condition - from full functionality (one) through medium damage (five) to complete wreckage (three or four).
All over the walls you can see huge packs, chests, barrels and other containers, perhaps bearing fuel and junk. Loads of servitors bustle around, busy with conveying, repairing or simply wandering around without a purpose. Few tech-priests dressed in robes of crimson entact rites over the machines, blessing them, fixing them or simply ranting and raving at boisterous servitors.
You take a walk through the room, sometimes almost losing sight of your guide. Finally, you reach the destination.

The Aquila-class lander appears to be in good condition, despite being old and mildly worn out by usage. You can see few bullet holes on its wings and hull, luckily scars not deep enough to pierce the steel completely. Painted red (paint is barely visible anyway) and marked with both aquila and cogwheel signs does not look too reliable, but compared to others... well, seems like you are all at luck.
Inside, as you take the stairs and walk through the doorway, you are welcomed by a peaceful silence, indeed a grace collated to the noise outside. Four couches covered with mousy hide on both sides of the hull, a ladder up (perhaps, leading to a gun-tower), the cockpit is not divided from the passenger-room - you can see numerous blank screens and diodes, surrounding a console - a good load of colorful buttons, four levers and a manipulator. The whole contraption seems complicated.
Inertia comes inside and places herself comfortably on a pilot's seat, looking at you.
You notice that servo-skull still follows the woman with a huge backpack, occasionally spitting out a beeping noise or a whirling, silent sound of its engine.

Xander Morhaime

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Colonel
  • Boot to the head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 16:31 »

The ork got up with a quiet grunt once the briefing was done, gathering up the various items he'd brought before stomping on after the pilot. He does make a brief detour at one point to collect the rest of his possessions before turning up in the hangar bay - namely, an ill-fitting suit of flak armour (painted bright blue and decorated with ork glyphs, an oversized axe, and what could be best described as a sawed-off heavy stubber.

The ork doesn't seem to take well to the silence, and fidgets constantly on the too-small shuttle seat, looking back and forth. Knowing the primitive nature of orks, it's probably just eager for the chance to rip the head off something, and is muttering something to itself in its own crude language. And giggling occasionally.

Ork giggles are not a pretty sight.
12. A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

Gargulec

• Local Inquisitor
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 17:05 »

The eldar, even walking, still kept her head bowed. She was intimidated by the ork, and afraid of the human. And she felt poorly. When finally raised her head for a second, you could see fresh brand burnt into her cheek.

After entering the shuttle, she quickly found herself a place in a corner, and again curled up her knees. Soon, she collapsed into shallow slumber.

Aramilllion

• Lance Corporal
  • Metal heals my soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 06:04 »

The Arbitrator joined rest of the team after a few minutes. Whole the way to the shuttle he was thinking some issues over in silence, but seemed to got rid of those doubts that had afflicted him during the briefing. He visibly felt more confident than before.

In the shuttle he let his companions rest for a while, and then began a conversation breaking the silence. His voice was calm but emphatical.
"I hope you all understand Low Gothic." - he began - "If we are to cooperate as a squad and to survive this mission, we ought to get to know something about ourselves. Without it, the task will be a failure in advance. I shall start to encourage the rest.
My name is Ramirez Zenth, I am an Arbitrator of Adeptus Arbites born and raised in the Gunmetal City on Scintella. By Magos Interrogator's authority I am your leader during this mission. I do not mind using guns - after all I am a Hiver and my gun is my life, nevertheless the main advantage of mine is the ability to gather information. I would also like you to tell me what are your feelings about our objectives. Of course despite my leadership, any advices and suggestions are welcomed. Keep in mind that our good cooperation is the key to survival."

Ramirez kicked back and waited for someone other to take up the issue.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 06:05 by Aramilllion »

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 06:32 »

The servo-skull gave away a silent beep, a crunch, and translated Arbiter's words into High Gothic. Those cracks were noisy enough to wake the Eldar up and perhaps irritate the rest.

Inertia put her feet on the console, leaning back on her seat and lighting a lho-stick. "Wake me up when you'll be ready to start.", she sneered with a soft voice, closing her eyes.

Outside, some nervous tech-adept drew a shotgun and disposed of some particularly badly programmed servitor. There was a rain of sparks and the machine fell to the ground, leaking oil.

Aramilllion

• Lance Corporal
  • Metal heals my soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 05:33 »

After half an hour of waiting in silence disrupted only by the Ork's giggles (most annoying), the Arbitrator was deeply irritated.
"OK, fine." - he drawled - "I shall not force you both to talk. If your wish is to be treated as slaves, very well then." He shook his head with disappointment.
Then he turned himself towards Inertia and woke her up:
"Miss Inertia, start the engines if you don't mind. And I would like to have a word with you. Do you prefer now, or maybe later?
It's about the planet, the mission, the circumstances, and generally about what should we expect when we get there."

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 06:04 »

With a shrug, Inertia plugged herself into the console with a jack straying from her head, muttering something under her breath. For a few seconds she seemed completely absent.
Then, the engines started and the console glowed with a hundred or so colorful diodes.
"Flight control ? Owl One demands a permission to start.", she said, unhanging the microphone from the cockpit's ceiling.
"Checking clearances... Done. Permission granted. May Omnissiah lead your paths.", the radio cracked in response.

Engines roared and the whole vehicle trembled as it slowly went through the gate. Then, a highly unpleasant moment of taking off...
After three minutes, you already were in the deep space. Noise of roaring engines stopped being so intrusive.

"Autopilot is online.", uttered the console. Inertia turned to you.

"What do you wish to know, Arbitrator ?", she asked.

Aramilllion

• Lance Corporal
  • Metal heals my soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 06:45 »

Ramirez sat closer to Inertia for the talk to be more comfortable, and asked his questions:
"There are a few matters I need to know. Should we expect a warm welcoming down there, or should we not? What shall be the fastest way to communicate with the Magos Interrogator and send him some reports? Are there any individuals we can thrust on the surface? Are there going to be any troubles with finding a hideout? And what can you tell me about the colony itself?"

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 07:32 »

"Well, well, well... Warmth of the welcome will probably depend on if you clearly explain who you are - or not. I am afraid that workers down there are pretty much afraid of Inquisitorial agents. No wonder, in my humble opinion... I would be rather prudent on introducing yourself as Magos' servant.", she responded cautiously.
"For purposes of communication you could use the transmitter here on my ship. I know the connection quality may not be the best, yet... Possibly well enough ?
On finding cover and trusted individuals... Well, Mole's Hole is a canteen popular with the workers and its owner, Marcus Lane, seems to be reliable enough. I would try asking there. And trusting anyone in the camp... You know, people go mad at each other recently so I'd be cautious about that."
, the pilot finished with a sigh. "You just can not predict how someone'll act in a quarter or two. Stress fucks good with one's mind."
"Anything else ?"

Aramilllion

• Lance Corporal
  • Metal heals my soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 08:41 »

Ramirez seemed concerned, he knitted his eyebrows and was silent for a while, meditating on something. After a while he continued:
"It shall be difficult to avoid getting the Xenos killed, without explaining who we are in general. Especially since they have been facing some troubles with Orks. Troublesome indeed." - sighed the Arbitrator - "I was told that you used to work on the surface. In your opinion shall the inhabitants be as eager as usual to shot Xenos on sight? And this Marcus Lane... could he become an informer of a kind apart from granting us a place to stay? Oh, and was there any other investigation maintained before? I'm curious who could support us with some more detailed information about those weird incidents. Apart from that, from your statement I infer that you are going to stay on the planet surface for some time, are you not?"

Gargulec

• Local Inquisitor
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 09:32 »

Softly and quietly Sulyen entered the cockpit. She seemed oblivious of discussion.

'I apologize to interrupt you, Master' she said slowly, surprisingly, in low gothic that was understandable, even if mangled and oddly accented. 'But please, tell me what services will be required of me?'
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5