Chaosforge Forum

• March 18, 2024, 19:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: [Module] Angel of Patience  (Read 41395 times)

Simon-v

• Composer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Only Human
    • View Profile
    • The Life and Works of One Simon Volpert
[Module] Angel of Patience
« on: April 21, 2010, 16:14 »

Remember how i said i would win an Angel of Patience challenge if there was one?

I didn't mean it. Now i know for sure that i didn't mean it.

I know it because i made this challenge just to try it out.

This map (which was originally built on the Infinite Arena codebase) has absolutely nothing new or exceptional about it.

With the sole exception that it's THE most unfair, cruel, sadistic and unforgiving challenge map EVER.

The rules are simple. You start in the center of the arena with a cursed pistol that does a pitiful 1d3 damage and has infinite ammo, a cursed sharp stick (1d3 as well, what did you think?) in the prepared slot, your life slowly regenerates and you need to survive 25 arena rounds.

Even attempting this "challenge" is an act of heroism.

Should you win (HA!), you can put this achievement on a T-shirt and demand eternal worship.

Download link (source): https://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3054.0;attach=1016

Due to a somewhat apparent demand, below is the Ladder of the last attempters of this challenge. To qualify, you simply need to play the latest version and report your progress.
For your convenience, the mortem now prints the wave you died on.

It's kind of hard.

Player NameDifficultyRound
* 2DeviationsOutUVWON!!
* TormuseUV5
* Simon-v (the author)HMP4
* Ander HammerHNTR8
* RSOITYTDWon

Historical results (pre-0.9.9.6) are listed below for the sake of completeness.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Changelog:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 12:48 by Simon-v »

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
Re: Angel of Patience (0.9.9.1)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 18:37 »

Damn man, that is some ridiculous gaming.  Not to mention there will be times where you're just screwed over, plain and simple.  I managed to make it to wave 7 after defeating two Barons and a Mancubus with only SoGx3.  Maybe once I finish getting the Platinum badges, I'll try this.  If anything, the scaling is what makes it so damn hard.  If I could reach SoGx3 and SoBx3 in time for Barons, THEN this would be doable.  Eventually you can set carving out holes in the pillars after enough enemy fire, and I find that splash damage with a Berserk Pack is most definitely the way to kill things quickly (Berserk was also the only reason I killed the Arachnotron on wave 5).

Regeneration makes this POSSIBLE, but sometimes there aren't enough globes to keep up running.  And, as it is, I dunno if SoG is even the way to go: almost seems like TaN/Iro just to cause splash would work faster (if not better).
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 15:56 »

Lately I've been adding HR somewhere in the mix (in fact, choosing for 1-2 seems like a great idea) to avoid the ridiculousness of Demons and to hook Cacos and Baron-types around a pillar and play a game of "ring around the rosy".  Mancubus are still the biggest threat...Arachnotrons are a big problem but they tend to miss enough for patience to work very well.  Wave 6-7 tends to cream me.  Ironically, patience is the last thing you use in this until much later (like Mancubus).  I'm terrified of the day I see an Arch-vile.  With all those corpses lying around?  I'm tempted to start splash-killing the corpses just in preparation.

Is anyone else trying this?  I must say I'm having some fun with it.  Question: are the pistol and stick modable?

Simon-v

• Composer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Only Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 16:12 »

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I seem to have forgotten about this possibility. The pistol and stick are not supposed to be moddable after all.
I've updated the file with the new version.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 16:44 »

Some other comments:

- Can't swap to the stick.  Although to be honest, it doesn't make much of a difference (1 damage as oppposed to 1.5 which is usually 1 because of armor), so its only real use is if you went for MBm.
- Monsters will eventually get bored of chasing you, even Demons.  I don't know if Lost Souls are the chase, they are simply too fast to test this on.
- Revs are total pussies.
- Is the Computer Map supposed to spawn?  I really don't mind, even if the only purpose is always knowing where the powerups and newly-spawned meds/armors are.

I find that just going up to Formers and punching them in the face is really the best way to keep your health up (Sergeants usually have to be picked off from afar).  Imps aren't HARD melee, especially because their projectiles are worse in terms of damage, but make sure there isn't anything else around.

Current strategy: HR -> Bru -> Bru, will go for Berserker and PROBABLY MBm, XP allowing.  Pistol seems worthless to up other than (possibly) firing rate, because the enemies that really matter to pick off have too much armor to make the damage bonus all that worth it.  Also, the single level of HR is absolutely crucial to make Demons tolerable (I'd go insane if I had to fight them again without it).  Once you get the second level of Bru, they become rather simple to kill.  I've only killed a Mancubus once, but plenty of HKs, Cacos, and about three Arachs.  Hoping that berserk armor will work with the trait on this run, because it'll definitely make a LOT of situations easier whenever it happens.  Zerk armor + 1/sec regen = immortality, yo.

My best AoPt tactic so far is the ring-around, in which you can use your single level of HR to keep enemies chasing you as much as possible around a pillar.  Whenever there's space between the two of you, fire a shot.  Repeat this ad infinitum.  Works on HK/Cacos so far; Barons are probably just as susceptible if not moreso (because of two-tile splash); Demons can barely keep up with you, so you mostly do this (without shots) until they run away.  Revs are just awful, though, I can tell they're going to be the most annoying (unless there are Viles...*shudder*).  At least Mancubus have some slowness to them.  And then Pain Elementals!  That's part of the reason I'm doing a melee build: there is no way, NO WAY, to take on a Pain Elemental with a single 1d2 pistol.

Simon-v

• Composer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Only Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 17:01 »

- The stick exists for the sole reason of preventing you from putting a powerful melee weapon in the prepared slot and then using Juggler to attack with it. You thought you were clever? You keep thinking that. ;)
- The Computer Map spawning is add's responsibility. He wrote the Infinite Arena on which the mod is based.

All in all, i really enjoy "watching" you play, GH. You're really something. Good luck!

EDIT: Updated the file again, upping the damage of both the gun and stick to 1d3 (same as fists) and slowing health regeneration as compensation. You are no longer virtually immortal while berserking. Patience is, once again, a virtue.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 06:47 by Simon-v »

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 11:28 »

Made it to the wave 15. Nuffin said.
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 13:46 »

Some waves are real lucky, some aren't.  (Of course, whether or not you get experience is another thing.)  Playing melee seems to get the job done later on enough.

- Since you usually have an open space to deal with them, Mancubus are best treated by running at them in a zig-zag to avoid as many shots as possible.  After closing the gap, they're in the bag (as long as you have sub-1.00 movespeed).
- Revs are just the hella-patient game.  Keep peeking out, waiting for them to show up.  If you manage to get within 2-3 tiles, start running.  They don't take a LOT of hits, and it's very unlikely for them to launch a rocket back as long as you're running.
- Barons...you CAN use the same ring-around strategy, although it will be more dangerous.  Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot else you can do, those guys have some strong AI when it comes to chasing.  Later on with Brute3, it takes 7/8 hits, so you can try to put on some armor, turn on run, and hope for the best.
- Nightmare variants (and holy shit why did they have to be in here) are a pain, particularly the demons (haven't seen a caco yet) but a lot can be done as in the normal strategy.  By now you should be level 5/6 anyway, so your build is nearly complete.  Note that Nightmare Demons outrun you even with HR2, so...just a heads up.

It's real fun, though.  I'm interested in what kind of build Gargulec tried if not what I was using.  There are probably a few ways to go about it (some...more patient than mine) and round 15 is pretty impressive.  For my own build, the game picks up after about round 10 and there's a lot less sniping and more luring into melee range.

EDIT: Guess I should note this was done with the previous version instead of 1.2.  However, berserk armor only came in handy a couple of times, and (in some cases) didn't work at all, ala zerk armor bug.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 13:49 by Game Hunter »

Simon-v

• Composer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Only Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 14:26 »

Hopefully, the last re-release of the level (v1.2.3). Fixed some messages and removed Angel of Death from the game, since he's not going to spawn anyway and force-spawning him is just evil.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 17:33 »

I haven't played it a lot since the latest update, but I thought I'd mention that upping the damage from 1d2 to 1d3 does nothing except make the first few levels go faster: the only enemies that take noticeably more damage now (which is still 5-6 hit deaths) are the non-commando formers and imps.  The compensation is quite a shocker later on, and I find that the ring-around trick doesn't work nearly as well (either by taking longer or needing to have backup cover).  In short, you made a game that I've already deemed impossible to defeat harder...although the impossibility is really only because of a combination of Viles and Mortuary-like corpses.  Either remove Viles or remove corpses after each level: otherwise there's no reason to play this and aim for completion.  Compare Restless which, although Viles can be a deadly problem at times, you at least heal on each and every kill.

However, I DO recommend this to players wanting to master Hell's Arena, Phobos Arena, and (in general) conservative gameplay.  Just don't expect to do anything about the inevitable Arch-viles.

Simon-v

• Composer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Only Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 17:50 »

Removed Arch-Viles and the Angel, upped regeneration to 1 per 1.5sec.

This should be winnable now, providing that you are very, very patient about it.

Pain elementals will still be a pain, but i figure you already figured what to do with them.

Simon-v

• Composer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Only Human
    • View Profile
Re: Angel of Patience (0.9.9.4)
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 03:27 »

I have updated the package and the first post. The mod is brutal as ever to play, especially starting about halfway through, when the tougher enemies start showing up (oh god, nightmare demons). Have fun.

gilgatex

• Platinum Supporter
  • Alpha Supporter
  • Corporal
  • It's Personal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 06:08 »

Gave it a try.  I did it on easy because I'm a big wimp.  I went with a scout for the 10% speed boost and possible cat's eye.  On level 3 I went with son of a gun, making killing things a little faster, but in hindsight, I should have been more patient and went with dodgemaster.

Things were going good until round 7 when the Revenants showed up.  I tried to be patient.  I managed to get right up next to one so he wouldn't fire, I shot at him until he got to lightly scratched, then I used a phase device to get out of there, just to warp RIGHT NEXT to another revenant.  C'est la vie!

--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (v.0.9.9.4) roguelike post-mortem character dump
 Module : Angel of Patience (1.4.0)

gilgatex, level 3  Scout, couldn't evade a revenant's fireball
 on round 7 of the Patience Arena.
 He survived 14790 turns and scored 1110 points.
 He played for 15 minutes and 41 seconds.
 He was too young to die!

He killed 42 out of 48 hellspawn. (87%)

-- Graveyard -------------------------------------------------

###########################################################
  ########################.............................######
  ############...........%...................................
  ######..X..}.......####............####....................
  ###...R............####............####..####%............%
  ##...............%%####..####%.%...####.^####.....h.....###
  #......|....}............####............####....####...###
  #...!....^..####.....}...####........h..}}.......####...###
  #...........####..........................|....%.####......
  #...>...}|..####..%........|..%........%}}}.}...}..........
  #..............h|}...####..}.....}.%|.}%.%B|.}}............
  #.}..................####......}..|...........%!.........##
  #..........%..####...####......}.........................##
  #......####...####......................####.......|}....##
  ##.....####...####...^.........####}....####..####.........
  ###+..}####.........|}...####..####.....####..####.........
  ######*..................####R.####...%.......####.........
  ############...+.........####.........^....................
  ########################......^................^.....######

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health 0/50   Experience 2089/3
  ToHit Ranged +0  ToHit Melee +0  ToDmg Ranged +0  ToDmg Melee +0

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Class : Scout

Hellrunner       (Level 2)
    Son of a gun     (Level 1)

HR->HR->SoG->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   nothing
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   pistol (1d3) [6/6]
    [c] [ Boots      ]   nothing
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   pointed stick (1d2)

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a]   green armor [1/1] (72%)
    [b]   green armor [1/1] (89%)

-- Resistances -----------------------------------------------

None

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

12 former humans
    8 former sergeants
    1 former captain
    16 imps
    4 demons
    1 cacodemon

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

-- Messages --------------------------------------------------

You see : a revenant (scratched) [m]ore | floor
 The missile hits the revenant. The revenant misses you.
 Fire -- Choose target...
 The missile hits the revenant. The revenant hits you.
 You use a small med-pack. You feel healed. The revenant hits you.
 Unknown command. Press "?" for help.
 Fire -- Choose target...
 Fire -- Choose target...
 You see : a revenant (lightly wounded) [m]ore | floor
 You use a phase device. You feel yanked in an non-existing direction! You
 dodge!
 You die!... Press <Enter>...

[12/3/2/0/0] Cacodemon Sergeant Major (0.997)
[25/15/8/0/0] Hell Baron Captain (0.996)
[26/15/10/1/0] Hell Baron Major (0.994)

rchandra

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 17:04 »

Also tried ITYTD, reached wave 11.  I thought Marine would be good with Bullet Dance, but HR is too necessary and you don't gain experience very fast.  Next time I'll try scout/MBm.  Teleporting into Baron country when running from nightmares was not helpful.

If it's possible to make tracking map / computer map expire after each round, that'd be nice.  if not, it might be best to remove them.

0.9.9.1-4: Arch-Vile Br. General [25/25/17/5/1]
0.9.9.5-7: Hell Baron Major [ 21 16 12 4 1 0 ]

gilgatex

• Platinum Supporter
  • Alpha Supporter
  • Corporal
  • It's Personal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 18:56 »

I used tech to make sure I could get a tracking map, got to level 12 on ITYTD.  Made it easy to see where everyone was and I just shot halfway across the map to get them.  Level 12 with its 6 Reavers, however, was just too many.

DoomRL (v.0.9.9.4) roguelike post-mortem character dump
 Module : Angel of Patience (1.4.0)

gilgatex, level 5  Technician, couldn't evade a revenant's fireball
 on round 12 of the Patience Arena.
 He survived 39577 turns and scored 5542 points.
 He played for 35 minutes and 24 seconds.
 He was too young to die!

He killed 81 out of 88 hellspawn. (92%)
 He held his right to remain violent.

-- Graveyard -------------------------------------------------

########################%............^.....+.........######
  ############...^...........%.".........}..."....%..^......%
  ######."........................####....}................##
  ###....................^.......}####................%}...##
  ##.....####...\.}...............####..........^####......##
  #....^.####.....%...........}..}}...}....}.}...####..}.....
  #......####......####.................}.}c.....####||||.}|.
  #........^.......####.....X.####....}............||||}||||.
  #...>....%.^.....####.......####..............}.||||}|||||.
  #........####...}........}..####.....}.}..}........|%}|}...
  #...."...####......|..............%....}.}R}......%.......#
  #........####................}\....}..}...................#
  #............%%.............####.^.......}.}.....^........#
  ##........^....####...####..####...####.}.s####..####......
  ###............####...####.}####...####....####..####......
  ######*......".####...####.R.......####....####..####......
  ############.^........R.R.......}..........................
  ########################....................."..^....######

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health 0/50   Experience 10887/5
  ToHit Ranged +4  ToHit Melee +4  ToDmg Ranged +0  ToDmg Melee +0

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Class : Technician

Son of a gun     (Level 3)
    Eagle Eye        (Level 2)

SoG->EE->SoG->SoG->EE->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   nothing
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   pistol (1d3) [6/6]
    [c] [ Boots      ]   nothing
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   pointed stick (1d2)

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a]   power mod pack
    [b]   technical mod pack
    [c]   bulk mod pack
    [d]   bulk mod pack
    [e]   hatred skull

-- Resistances -----------------------------------------------

Bullet     - internal 0%    torso 60%   feet 60% 
    Melee      - internal 0%    torso 60%   feet 60% 
    Shrapnel   - internal 0%    torso 60%   feet 60% 
    Acid       - internal 0%    torso 60%   feet 60% 
    Fire       - internal 0%    torso 60%   feet 60% 
    Plasma     - internal 0%    torso 60%   feet 60% 

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

14 former humans
    11 former sergeants
    5 former captains
    8 imps
    4 demons
    9 lost souls
    10 cacodemons
    2 barons of hell
    4 hell knights
    6 arachnotrons
    6 former commandos
    2 revenants

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

-- Messages --------------------------------------------------

Fire -- Choose target...
 You see : a revenant (severely wounded) [m]ore | blood
 The missile hits the revenant.
 Fire -- Choose target...
 The missile hits the revenant. The revenant hits you. Suddenly a revenant
 appears out of nowhere!
 Fire -- Choose target...
 The missile hits the revenant.
 You stop running.
 You are hit!
 You use a hatred skull. You feel like a killing machine! You need to taste
 blood!
 You die!... Press <Enter>...

« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 18:57 by gilgatex »
[12/3/2/0/0] Cacodemon Sergeant Major (0.997)
[25/15/8/0/0] Hell Baron Captain (0.996)
[26/15/10/1/0] Hell Baron Major (0.994)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4