Chaosforge Forum

• March 18, 2024, 23:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: [Module] Angel of Patience  (Read 41398 times)

Uranium

• Greater Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Heavier Than A Death In The Family
    • View Profile
Re: [MODULE] Angel of Patience
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2012, 13:58 »

-TwoDev making a mockery of the closest thing to actual self-harm you can reach in DoomRL short of N! AoPatience-
Well, we all saw this coming, didn't we?
Use power for power.

Simon-v

• Composer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Only Human
    • View Profile
    • The Life and Works of One Simon Volpert
Re: [Module] Angel of Patience
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2012, 05:07 »

Well, we all saw this coming, didn't we?
I guess he ran out of other things to do. :)

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2012, 05:15 »

We'd better make more stuff to keep him occupied fast, or he will eventually turn against us...
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

RSO

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2012, 11:02 »

And with a sharpshooter build too. I'm impressed, if a bit confused.
9.9.6 Cacodemon Sergent Major (Wins: 0, 2, 0, 1, 0)
Badges: 14 | 5 | 4 | 1 | 0

9.9.5 Arch-Vile Captain (22 | 15 | 7 | 2 | 1)

Uitë

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2012, 12:16 »

And with a sharpshooter build too. I'm impressed, if a bit confused.
Sharpshooter does seem a bit useless on this challenge, since basically what it does is turn your gun from an average of 2 dmg to a guaranteed 3. Wouldn't you be better off taking a few levels of SoB?
Arch-Vile 1st Lieutenant
[26|12|6|1|0]

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2012, 13:10 »

Sharpshooter does seem a bit useless on this challenge, since basically what it does is turn your gun from an average of 2 dmg to a guaranteed 3. Wouldn't you be better off taking a few levels of SoB?

But then it would be too easy...
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2012, 13:19 »

A guaranteed 3 is the difference between doing enough damage to stop a demon in its tracks, and having it in your face next turn. It's essentially just a rank in SoB for that average damage of 2, anyway, and an extra rank for every 1 that you might have rolled.

It is an awful lot of eagle eye to get there, but you know. Hitting better doesn't hurt.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2012, 21:41 »

I imagine the eagle eye levels required would help a lot with blind corner shooting.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2013, 21:57 »

Hi all, I felt like trying this module again, so after a bunch of failed attempts at HMP, in which I think the furthest I got was round 7, I tried it at HNTR, and won on my second try!  :)

Spoiler: Mortem (click to show/hide)

I decided to go for a Sharpshooter build for no other reason except it's the only Pistol mastery that doesn't block Hellrunner and Brute, and I figured it would be nice to build up my pistol, fists, and speed.  :)  Of course, since it was HNTR, I didn't get enough experience to build up my fists.  (Oh well...)

Those two levels of Hellrunner at the beginning were critical; I wouldn't have been able to do it without those, considering I had a hard time keeping ahead of Knights and Barons and especially Arachnotrons!  For a while, Agility mods were hard to come by and for an extended period, I was wearing an Agility-modded Green Armour (which I switched out when it got too damaged and repaired whenever I could) and I had quite a few games of "Ring around the Rosy," circling around pillars, trying to keep ahead of my enemies, with occasional corner-shooting and I was just ever so slightly barely able to keep ahead of Arachnotrons, and they still occasionally got a volley off on me!  (It doesn't make any sense to me that 2Dev was able to do it without any HR, but then again, none of 2Dev's runs make sense to me, so par for the course, I guess)  :P  Once I got the Tac Armour, things got easier, and even more so when I got the Tac Boots.

And yeah, as Uitë said above, it probably doesn't make mathematical sense to get Sharpshooter, but it sure was satisfying once I got it.  :)  And it did feel easier after that.  And yes, as Matt_s said above me, the levels in Eagle Eye were a big help with blind corner-shooting.  When I reached level 4, I had been planning to get another level of SoG, but I was getting frustrated at how frequently I was missing, so I took EE instead and didn't regret it in the slightest.  :)

Nothing much else to say except that it took 15 hours because I left the game running overnight.  Also, Pain Elementals were a pain in the butt!  :P

EDIT:  Also, also, It would be cool to see this updated for version 0.9.9.7,  (Once it comes out)  since the Fireangel bug is fixed and a certain other Master trait could be interesting to see with this mod.  :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 22:02 by Tormuse »
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

tylor

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2013, 23:49 »

Sharpshooter seems a little pointless with 1d3 gun. You could sack SS, one or two EE and Technician class for Scout and SoBx2, or even Finessx2

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2013, 01:13 »

Hmm...  let's see...  by my calculations, SS improves the average effectiveness of the gun by between 20 and 33 percent, depending on what enemy I'm shooting at, which is significant for something with such low damage to begin with, but you're probably right that some levels in SoB would be even more significant.  Looking back, my HMP games probably failed because I tried too hard to get a Master trait.  Oh well, maybe next time, I'll try playing a masterless game.  :)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2015, 01:19 »

I seem to be playing mods a lot lately.  :)  I was trying to see if I could do this mod at HMP but kept failing, so I tried it at HNTR and got it on my first try.  :)  It was still pretty harrowing, with many close calls, (the ballistic vest and shield saved my life on several occasions) including a near-death experience when I was cornered by a Mancubus who shredded four of my five med packs that I had collected, but in the end, I pulled through.  :)  Yay!  :D

I also used my tried and tested strategy of being a litterbug.  :P  I filled the middle of the map with every weapon and ammo I found, even emptying the weapons as I found them to take up more space on the floor, so that all power-ups and med packs would spawn at the edges of the map, so I would have a better chance of getting them.  It actually worked quite well.  :)

The funny thing is that (aside from the litterbug strategy) I seem to have unwittingly recreated the above-posted game from two and a half years ago!  It's been so long that I had completely forgotten about that game!  :o

« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 01:22 by Tormuse »
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Gushwin

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2022, 10:16 »

please update to 0.0.9.9.7 please and fix the links please

Simon-v

• Composer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Only Human
    • View Profile
    • The Life and Works of One Simon Volpert
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2022, 12:50 »

This brings back memories.

Maybe i'll indeed unpack my copy of DoomRL sometime. For now, though, i have enough things to occupy myself with. Anyone volunteers?

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2022, 17:47 »

For no particular reason, I felt like firing up my old 0.9.9.6 version of DRL so I could try out this mod again.  I think I did better this time than my last attempt at UV difficulty...  from 10 years ago.  (Why must this game keep making me feel old?)  O_o  Anyway, I still only survived to round 5, but at least I managed to reach level 4 and get Dodgemaster this time.  Alas, it wasn't enough to keep me alive, since that's when arachnotrons and former commandos started showing up, and DM doesn't help so much against them.  :|

Nothing much else to say, except that I attempted the "litterbug" strategy again, but didn't survive long enough for it to be significant.

PS  Is anyone considering updating this mod to version 0.9.9.7?
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]