Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 03:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: DoomHack  (Read 5292 times)

Eikon

• Private FC
    • View Profile
    • http://www.Eiksoft.com
DoomHack
« on: September 15, 2006, 10:55 »

Hi everyone, I am writing a 2D Doom game that seeks to blend the playing styles of Doom and Nethack in much the way that DoomRL does, but there will be major differences in the playing style, mainly involving the use of the mouse. I want you guys to get a first look at the game before others and maybe even help me test it, I am looking for your input. Here are a couple of screenshots of what I've got going so far. Watch this space 0_0

Some quick info about the game
-
High quality OGG soundtrack converted directly from MIDI
Use both OpenGL or Direct3D as a renderer
WAV Sound effects
Particle effects, lighting; blood / screen flashes when damaged, etc
Randomly generated levels
Click to attack interface
Animated objects and enemies
Torchlight mode for dark levels

Psycho

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
DoomHack
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 14:04 »

Looks cool, perhaps instead of the top left bit with xp and such, you could modify the status bar to have "xp" and "lvl" and stuff.

what weapons are you planning? Will there be special levels of such, similar to doomRL?

Are there doors with keys?

Also, Though you are just ripping sprites and such, that bit in the middle of the water in the first screenshot was a bit ugly, but i dont see how it could be fixed. Half life 2 has take its toll on me :)

All in all, looks fun, i'd love to give it a try.

Eikon

• Private FC
    • View Profile
DoomHack
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 03:34 »

Hi Psycho, thank you for the feedback.

you could modify the status bar to have "xp" and "lvl" and stuff.
There has been a complete rescaling of the game graphics and levels. It is now more in the style of DoomRL, with the top and bottom sections left blank, and the middle used for the map area. Your status will be on the top bar and messages will appear between the bottom two hud graphics.

I am planning to have different level styles and special levels as the game progresses. I also plan for a key and door system too.

Along with the new redesign is a new tile lighting system, which is also more in the style of DoomRL. It highlights tiles as you come to them and darkens tiles already discovered. Enemies and other objects now vanish when not in the lighted area. I still need to work on stopping the light from traveling behind walls and the rest.

I'll keep you updated.

Aerton

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
DoomHack
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 09:12 »

Quoting: Eikon
in much the way that DoomRL does,

It is now more in the style of DoomRL

which is also more in the style of DoomRL

So, is it anything but an unimaginative DoomRL rip-off with an doubtfull "improvement" of a mouse control?

Eikon

• Private FC
    • View Profile
DoomHack
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 09:49 »

*Ahem*

The three gameplay elements that I spoke of using from DoomRL are common to many games. If having a tile lighting routine and roguelike gameplay means I am ripping off DoomRL, I guess I'm guilty.

Actually the game will be quite different in many respects. Please at least wait for a demo before passing judgement so harshly.

Santiago Zapata

• Temple Guardian
  • Backer
  • First Lieutenant
  • Roguelike Developer
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
DoomHack
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 16:31 »

I must confess I thought the same when I saw the post; however it looks nice, and a 'direct competition' to any project is always nice ;)

Let's wait til you have something to show
Slash (Castlevania, Metroid, Drash, ZeldaRL)
Temple of The Roguelike
Slashie.net
Pages: [1]