Chaosforge Forum

• April 23, 2024, 01:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Restless (0.9.9.1)  (Read 10953 times)

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
Restless (0.9.9.1)
« on: April 24, 2010, 14:51 »

This is yet another variant of add's Infinite Arena. Fight through 25 waves of all types of enemies, and finally defeat the Death itself. You only have a very decent sword and destroyable armor, which regenerates.
They are both cursed. Armor is regenerating at the expense of your health.
No items spawn. You gain HP every time you kill a foe, and every killed shade restores you to 'cautious' state. Have fun.

GREAT, GREAT thanks to add1 and Simon-v. It would not be even remotely possible without them.

[UPDATE] New version. Disabled one very abusive trick (I hope). Added something EEEEEVIL. Tweaked spawn rates to make them less insane.

[UPDATE] New version. Pain Elementals are back. Added something NNNICE. Tweaked spawn rates. Added new version of shade.

[UPDATE] Fixes and additions. Winnable now. More sensible foe generation. No former foos. A lot of crossbows. And skeletons. Change to color scheme. Added altfire for the sword. Red shades restore the tired status. Guarantee shades at each wave. Upped Azrael.

[UPDATE] Changed some names. Some fixes. New enemy (watch for memories coming back to life!). New graphical style.

There are two versions of 005- one with partially visible floor and second with only void. Which is better?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 17:14 by Gargulec »
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.

Simon-v

• Composer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Only Human
    • View Profile
    • The Life and Works of One Simon Volpert
Re: Restless (0.9.9.1)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 15:58 »

What. The. Hell.

Gargulec, you evil bastard!

This is very well-written, the theme is very distinct and vivid. And the horror, the horror!

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 16:13 »

Apparently you don't think spawning Arch-viles and Revenants on wave 5 is evil enough.  (This could be an issue with the way Infinite Arena is designed, however: the spawns themselves could use some scaling.  Right now it appears that there's either some kind of "total difficulty" that determines what and how many can go it, or a weighting and changes based on the wave.  Either way, there's got to be a ceiling for certain enemies, both in this and Patience.)  The lack of real, solid pillars is actually a problem most of the time, especially when it comes to Revenants and Mancubi: it just gives units with range another advantage on you.

I can understand why Pain Elementals were taken out, but wouldn't it also be possible to introduce a health ceiling?  The original certainly has one.  500% health was pretty fun to have, though.

The Armor of Contempt, if anything, is a major hindrance later on (and by that I mean, starting around wave 5).  Three armor really doesn't cut it against punchier enemies.  What we're looking at is a Necroarmor that is inferior in every way, only SLIGHTLY helped by the fact that you gain health after every kill.  Give some knockback and movespeed beneifts (like the real one) and it might actually be worth something.  I'm glad it's destroyable, though, maybe it'll eventually just wear out after a hard enough battle.

Obviously we're looking at a melee build here, but to what extend I'm not exactly sure.  Vampyre seems redundant (is the extra 3 worth it when you already get 5?) but has knockback beneifts that could reeeeeealy come in handy.  Blademaster has Hellrunner, but that does nothing for Revs.  I'm almost tempted to start with a single point in Brute and work my way to MFa, what with the tons of splash you have to deal with.

EDIT: Oh, nevermind, you did introduce a health ceiling.  Guess I know what to get then...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 16:15 by Game Hunter »
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Gargulec

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 16:49 »

The Armor of Contempt, if anything, is a major hindrance later on (and by that I mean, starting around wave 5).  Three armor really doesn't cut it against punchier enemies.  What we're looking at is a Necroarmor that is inferior in every way, only SLIGHTLY helped by the fact that you gain health after every kill.  Give some knockback and movespeed beneifts (like the real one) and it might actually be worth something.  I'm glad it's destroyable, though, maybe it'll eventually just wear out after a hard enough battle.

It is not destroyable. Survive until wave ten, and you should find it much more useful.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 17:44 »

It is not destroyable. Survive until wave ten, and you should find it much more useful.
Quote from: Gargulec, from first post
You only have a very decent sword and destroyable armor, which regenerates.
*cough*

In any case, I'm glad the health ceiling got upped.  100% was a little low.  The current scaling's kinda slow, but that's only comparing it to before; I'm sure I'll be more than capable (and glad) to get used to it.

EDIT: Dear God, PLEASE tell me you meant to make the knockback numbers -s?  It'll be a great bonus if/once it's fixed, but right now it's pretty unplayable at wave 21 and up.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 18:08 by Game Hunter »

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 18:59 »

I custom'd the knockbacks to minus signs myself so I didn't have to wait for a quick fix.

Whelp, managed to beat it.  A lot of the endgame is a lot like AoB endgame: play conservative until you hit berserk, and then RRRAWRGHPWN all over the enemy.  Arch-Viles are a real pain early, but once you can chug zerks more often, every enemy you kill while berserked pretty much evaporates...literally.  No corpses or nothin'.

Final stage, or at least what I THINK was the final stage, wasn't hard.  Again, kill what you can until you zerk, then clean house.  I survived until 31 or so, which means that either that wasn't the final stage or you forgot to end the level. 

Either way, you MIGHT wanna tweak it a bit.  I'm not saying it was easy or even normal hard (far from it) but, for instance, you should probably change the knockbacks to, say, 25/50 instead of 50/100.  Makes it far too easy to approach enemies with full-on immovability, and kinda removes half the point of going Vampyre.  I did this MBm and it worked like a charm, but I believe there should be options in what you can do.

Also, the red Shades should probably provide rest, if only because the other batches can become rare later on.

Gargulec

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 03:32 »

Noted. Will be fixing it in next version.

Angles of death

• Second Lieutenant
  • HOLD. DEVILS. POT OF TEA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 04:36 »

Just got to ask a question,how do i run a mod?
...........A...A....M...A.....V
......V.............@......A..>
........V....V..C....B....B..A
Take a look to the sky just before you die it's the last time he will!!!

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 05:23 »

Under a pale grey sky, we shall arise.

Gargulec

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 08:24 »

New version is up.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 11:15 »

I'm at wave 3 right now, and there's a Lost Soul I just can't find.  I think he's stuck in one of the pillars:

The sound is definitely coming from right around that pillar, so maybe it's hollow?  I do like the new setup of the pillars overall, however, they have a little more tactical use now.

Skeletons are HARD.  I don't know if they have their own bonus to-hits or something, but they hit way more often than foos used to.  Could also have to do with the 0.1s firing time negating a lot of sidestepping.  You don't have to nerf the damage necessarily, but upping the firing time to normal and toning down the accuracy should still make it harder than before.  The melee damage is also very significant, usually on par with a Demon's; might wanna nerf their attack speed, as it's usually the fact that they can get three hits in before I swing that hurts.

If it's possible, it would also be convenient to have an ambience sound for nearby skeletons...some kind of creaking noise maybe.  This link (http://www.entertonement.com/clips/kzdxsjblkl--RattlingBones-AudioMicro-Skeleton-Bones-rattle-creature-Monster) is basically what I'm looking for, might wanna cut it down a tiny bit so it doesn't last as long.

Gargulec

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 13:06 »

Yes, those pillars are hollow. Fixing it now.
0.1s firing is bug and will be fixed in the next version.

Gargulec

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 16:43 »

New version is up.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 17:25 »

The additions are pretty cool.  Some issues though:

- As nice as the see-through walls are, monsters with projectiles simply do not have the AI to deal with them.  Case in point: I was able to "hide" on one side of a pillar and lure a Revenant close enough to the other side until he splashed himself to death.  They don't have the sense to go around the pillar for melee types, either, so unless you can rewrite the AI in sandbox, I'd remove that feature for now.
- Reminiscences are a cool addition, but they either need a negligible amount of experience (ie, even less than they do now) or need to get harder over time.  After a while they're stepping stones for using getting berserk up so you can kill everything else.  That they don't heal is good, but it's made the game a lot easier in general.

I love the new atmosphere, though, kudos to that.  Sharpshooters are probably REALLY difficult if I don't have Berserk and would probably always require running to reach them.

Blahness

• Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 06:03 »

That they don't heal is good, but it's made the game a lot easier in general.

If you get Vampyre, they'll give you 3 hp up to 200%, nothing past that.  Still makes the game trivial.

Do I win after killing
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 06:11 by Blahness »
Pages: [1] 2  All