DoomRL > Modding

Invasion (0.9.9.1)

<< < (3/3)

Game Hunter:

--- Quote from: you on April 29, 2010, 12:55 ---v1.2: Added new weapon and a chance to win for pistol-users.

--- End quote ---
And how!  That weapon needs some serious nerfing.  You basically combined Trigun with a blaster...and man, you get two of them.   I'll be honest, I basically had no trouble in my pistol run after I got those.  A couple Rev hits that hurt a lot and one commando volley were the only health concerns after wave 5.  I'm glad pistol users have a better shot now (heh, pun) but, for starters, the regenerating ammo should go away.  At the very least, force the player to have reloading problems unless they choose Rel or Gun Kata.  That aside, the DPS is still rather massive.  Tweak it a little or, hell, you could just leave it as a single gun.  I love the weapon, but things are far too one-sided when you get to it.

Admittedly, prior to that the game can get really hard without SM/Rel.  My strategy in those cases is to shore up in the sergeant nook and use double shotgun into the hallway until most of them are dead.  It works well until you have to deal with the later waves, but by then your build should kick in.

As opposed to the pistol build, shotgun build gets rather difficult once you start dealing with Revs.  They typically take three full double blasts to go down (sometimes two), and the rockets can really wear you down in the meantime.  As a result, MFa appears the only viable strategy (other than rationing berserk packs properly), although that's only useful against commandos just as much.  Of course, wave 9 everything becomes easy (won't spoil why), but I suggest nerfing the stuff you get there a little bit.

I still haven't really gotten far with a rapid-fire build.  Plasma takes forever to get to, and RL is limited by the chance of enemies being far away (not as often as one would like).  Furthermore, there just aren't enough bullets for the chaingun to get through everything.  The minigun is even more useless because you have a much greater capacity to waste bullets.  If you're going to let the shotgun build fire its double against every enemy once and still have leftovers, bullet ammo needs to be increased SOMEhow.  Maybe let captains still drop it (but still in 50s like the normal drops, 100 would be overkill with the number of captains that appear).  Because it takes so long to reach anything that can use cells, that type of ammo is probably okay (I usually have a full stack by the end, more than enough for the spawns at that point).  In any case, I'll let you know when I successfully complete a rapid-fire. 

The final wave is a bit...boring.  I like the secret but, practically, it has no use being there: I can think of several weapons that outperform it for what you have to deal with.  Also:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)Killing the Cyberdemon automatically finishes the wave/game without you having to destroy the Barons.  Might wanna ramp up the Baron count a ton and have Cybie only appear (wall-drop style) after they're all dead.
You may also want to remove Invulnerability Globes entirely.  Berserk Packs mean you still take damage against significant attackers (Revs, commandos come to mind), but it's really easy to save an Invuln for the final wave and make it cake.

--- Quote from: you on April 26, 2010, 14:26 ---Game Hunter, this map is 1:1,5 scaled port of original map. In version 1.2 I'll add some pistols and try to implement Spread Rune. No monsters stats were changed in this map.

--- End quote ---
So you didn't actually change the possible spawns between 1.0 and 1.1, just the difficulty of said spawns?  Hah, weird that it turned out like that, then.  I'm looking forward to more tweaks on this map, it's a great way to quickly acclimate yourself to a particular weapon build.  (And to find some really cool weapons that are also a part of DoomRL, hint hint to everyone else.)

EDIT: To be honest, I really haven't considered Ammochain yet.  It's POSSIBLE to reach it using the double conservatively and then going crazy, but, as there are no possibilities of mods, you'd just be shooting at the air.  I'll try it out if/once EE & SoB work out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version