Chaosforge Forum

• July 27, 2024, 01:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [M|AoMr|96%|YAVP] First REAL AoMr win... not without incident.  (Read 2522 times)

FrostyTheDragon

• Corporal
    • View Profile

--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (v.0.9.9.1) roguelike post-mortem character dump

York, level 9 Imp Lance Corporal, defeated the Cyberdemon
 on level 25 of the Phobos base.
 He survived 78937 turns and scored 81522 points.
 He played for 1 hour, 8 minutes and 45 seconds.
 He didn't like it too rough.

He killed 383 out of 398 hellspawn. (96%)
 He held his right to remain violent.
 He was an Angel of Marksmanship!

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

Grammaton Cleric Cross
  Hell Champion Medal
  Marksman Bronze Badge
  Marksman Silver Badge

-- Graveyard -------------------------------------------------

###########################################################
  #..........................................................
  #......................}.|.................................
  #.......................||.X...............................
  #.......................###................###.............
  #.......................###.........###....###.............
  #............###........###.........###....###.............
  #............###....................###....................
  #............###...........................................
  #.............................................###..........
  #..........................###...###..........###..........
  #..........................###...#>#..........###..###.....
  #..........................###...###...###.........###.....
  #.....###..............................###.........###.....
  #.....###..............................###.................
  #.....###..................................................
  ###########################################################

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health 37/50   Experience 36642/9
  ToHit Ranged +4  ToHit Melee +4  ToDmg Ranged +0  ToDmg Melee +0

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Hellrunner       (Level 2)
    Son of a gun     (Level 2)
    Eagle Eye        (Level 2)
    Dualgunner       (Level 1)
    Dodgemaster      (Level 1)
    Gun Kata         (Level 1)

SoG->SoG->DG->HR->HR->DM->MGK->EE->EE->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   red armor [4/4] (52%)
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   Grammaton Cleric Beretta (1d8)x3 [18/18]
    [c] [ Boots      ]   plasteel boots [4/4] (100%)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   Trigun (3d6) [6/6]

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] red armor [4/4] (100%)
    [b] 10mm ammo (x76)
    [c] 10mm ammo (x100)
    [d] 10mm ammo (x100)
    [e] 10mm ammo (x100)
    [f] 10mm ammo (x100)
    [g] 10mm ammo (x100)
    [h] 10mm ammo (x100)
    [i] large med-pack
    [j] large med-pack
    [k] large med-pack
    [l] large med-pack
    [m] envirosuit pack

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

52 former humans
    54 former sergeants
    16 former captains
    61 imps
    58 demons
    59 lost souls
    32 cacodemons
    11 barons of hell
    1 Cyberdemon
    9 hell knights
    5 arachnotrons
    5 former commandos
    3 pain elementals
    5 arch-viles
    8 mancubi
    2 revenants
    2 bruiser brothers

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

He started his journey on the surface of Phobos.
  On level 3 he entered Hell's Arena.
  He left the Arena as a champion!
  On level 7 he found the Grammaton Cleric Beretta!
  On level 14 he found the Trigun!
  On level 15 he encoutered the Phobos Hellgate.
  Then at last he found Phobos Arena!
  On level 25 he finally defeated the Cyberdemon.

-- Messages --------------------------------------------------

Fire -- Choose target...   The missile hits the Cyberdemon. The missile
 hits the Cyberdemon. The missile hits the Cyberdemon. The missile
 hits the Cyberdemon. The Cyberdemon hits you.
 You use a large med-pack. You feel fully healed. The Cyberdemon hits you.
 You start running!
 The Cyberdemon fires! You dodge! Boom!
 The Cyberdemon reloads his rocket launcher.
 You reload the Trigun with 10mm ammo.
 You swap your weapon.
 You reload the Grammaton Cleric Beretta with 10mm ammo.
 hits the Cyberdemon. The missile hits the Cyberdemon.
 hits the Cyberdemon. The Cyberdemon dies. You feel relatively safe
 now. Congratulations! You defeated the Cyberdemon! Press <Enter>... You

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

Before him 14 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
 13 of those were killed.

Some rumours though, say that the Cyberdemon was killed already!
 Is he immortal? 1 souls claim to have killed him...
 1 killed the bastard and survived.

Notes for this playthrough:

4/25/10 - 1555

Alright, vacation winding down and things are calm for a time.  Let's see if I can get AoMr right THIS time.  Two things standard to my AoMr playthroughs to this point: I name my character after one of the guys from Cross Edge, who had a 'gun kata' style of fighting (which I went for this time around); and I'm playing it on HNTR because I'm not comfortable enough with HMP to do challenges on it.  Also, I start in front of the base, which isn't my typical choice of start point but I made this change mainly for AoMr purposes.

Agility mod at the start this time.  I used it first level and carried a couple extra pistols, which I'll use spare mods on.

Despite my terrible luck with Hell's Arena in AoMr, I went for it this time around.  Got Dualgunner early in it and had it pretty easy from there, what with how much I'm shooting around the pillars.  The cacodemons in the last round had trouble hitting the broad side of a barn.  I chose to keep my extra pistols in case I found another accuracy or power mod.

Had 4 large medpacks by floor 6, but I still saw no point in going to Chained Court (no explosives readily available to me), so I didn't.

Floor 7 was jackpot - the Grammaton Cleric Beretta!  I chose to keep the power-modded pistol and stashed the agility one for a while.  I found a super shotgun on level 12 and picked it up just for laughs (and dropped it at the end of that level).  Finally chose to drop the spare pistol on level 13, not feeling I'd actually need it.

I could not believe it on level 14 when I found the Trigun.  Now all I needed to do was not screw up.  Hellgate was easy on account of me entering the place supercharged.  I acquired Gun Kata just as I was wrapping up that place. 

Actually, around that point I was feeling damn near invincible, with a huge stash of medpacks and armor and even a few extra goodies I insisted on carrying.

Of course, the game still had cruel tricks up its sleeve, by having me start Phobos Hell level 5 surrounded by four cacodemons, THEN put a cluster of former sergeants surrounding a commando nearby.  THEN spawning two arch-viles right next to each other on TOP of that (luckily I only fought one at a time).

Seeing my ammo count after that level, I chose to abandon my 100% game.  Little did I know I'd get a nice ammo infusion in Phobos Hell level 8.  I had about 10 large medpacks and 3 red armors entering Phobos (why did I say Hell's last time?) Arena, and Cybie was still not a cakewalk by any stretch.

I call this my first real AoMr win because the last time I beat AoMr (on an older version) it was a sacrifice win.  Hardly noticed the dodge benefit from Gun Kata or even Dodgemaster, but the autoreload was worth enough as it is.  I don't know what I'll do without getting uniques like I had this time (maybe go with TaN and Eagle Eye right after Dualgunner instead of going for Dodgemaster?).

So yeah, 3 more bronze badges and I'll unlock Nightmare difficulty, then 2 more each of bronze and silver badges to unlock the remaining challenge modes.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 16:35 by FrostyTheDragon »

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike

First off: holy crap, two uniques, and both were pistols?  You guys get some awesome luck at times.  The only luck I've had in an AoMr game is a floor 3 Blaster (which is awesome, but it doesn't let you forego offensive traits like the uniques do).  That game was, as a matter of fact, nearly a walk in the park because of that, by the way.  I can only imagine the kind of victory I could get with Trigun OR Grammaton, let alone both.

Despite my terrible luck with Hell's Arena in AoMr, I went for it this time around.  Got Dualgunner early in it and had it pretty easy from there, what with how much I'm shooting around the pillars.  The cacodemons in the last round had trouble hitting the broad side of a barn.  I chose to keep my extra pistols in case I found another accuracy or power mod.
It's been a result of my experience to choose the third SoG over DG and, unless you absolutely must have MGK by level 7, it's better in all aspects other than chance to hit.  So long as you're shooting with four tiles or so, this is never a problem (and in Hell's Arena, more important anyway).  Either way, MGK aside, always round off your gun traits with SoG(x3)/DG by level four.

Had 4 large medpacks by floor 6, but I still saw no point in going to Chained Court (no explosives readily available to me), so I didn't.
Since you were aiming 100% kills, this is an easy mistake by players who don't know how effective berserk is on hazardous terrain.  Hell, even on UV, you can slap the zerks on and get the Barons to kill the walls enough to make it out without retracking through the lava.  Chained Court is ALWAYS easy experience, and usually an easy two agi mods (AoMr/AoB being the typical exception).

I could not believe it on level 14 when I found the Trigun.  Now all I needed to do was not screw up.  Hellgate was easy on account of me entering the place supercharged.  I acquired Gun Kata just as I was wrapping up that place.
I'm convinced at this point that Hellgate AoMr is absolute hell without some great luck or careful preparation.  Homing phase (probably) fixes it, normal phases are a gamble as usual; otherwise you WILL need berserk or invulnerability heading into that first wave on UV+.

Of course, the game still had cruel tricks up its sleeve, by having me start Phobos Hell level 5 surrounded by four cacodemons, THEN put a cluster of former sergeants surrounding a commando nearby.  THEN spawning two arch-viles right next to each other on TOP of that (luckily I only fought one at a time).
Normally, for an MGK run, that's a really bad roll of monsters (ideally you want Arach caves).  Grammaton and Trigun turn that into swiss cheese, though.  My guess is that the Cacos died pretty quickly...

I had about 10 large medpacks and 3 red armors entering [Phobos] Arena, and Cybie was still not a cakewalk by any stretch.
I make a note on the Marksman Silver badge in my guide that, in spite of DM, MGK will find the Cyberdemon hard because of reloading times.  I can only imagine this was amplified by the fact that you carried two uniques, which require 2.0s per reload.  As a tip for the next game, take Rel instead of EE in preparation for Cybie: Trigun already has like, +6 or something, so I doubt you had THAT much trouble hitting the enemies.

Hardly noticed the dodge benefit from Gun Kata or even Dodgemaster, but the autoreload was worth enough as it is.  I don't know what I'll do without getting uniques like I had this time (maybe go with TaN and Eagle Eye right after Dualgunner instead of going for Dodgemaster?)
Dodgemaster automatically dodges attacks as long as you're sidestepping the enemy.  This is important: it's not the same as standing still and the enemies' projectiles avoiding you.  In addition, it only dodges the first attack on a given turn (someone correct me on this if I have it wrong; the wording is STILL hard to understand on that trait), which means it doesn't save you forever.  Against a couple of Barons you're practically invincible at a distance, but Arach caves can still become a problem if they surround you.  Sidestepping means you move in such a way that circles your opponent, as opposed to towards or away from (which, if it's in the same path as their attack, knocks your dodge rate to zero).

Pistol runs are generally divided into either an Gun Kata build or focusing entirely on offense.  With MGK, EE isn't as necessary because you can afford to get close to most enemies, though you don't really need Fin either because of MGK's awesome insta-attack after a dodge.  Personally I'd choose Fin over EE so I can reach WK and power-mod my pistols to make up for the blocked SoB.  With an offensive build, it's just SoG/DG, a point of EE for good measure, and plenty of SoB/Fin, with a point of Rel somewhere near the end for Cybie.  It's not typical to build defense on pistol runs because you're already lacking the kind of offense that can stand out and shoot into the masses.  Conservative corner-shooting and scouting are the way to go and, as a result, things like TaN and Iro are really unnecessary in favor of anything that can kill the enemies as quickly as possible.

I should note that, with SoG(x3) and SoB(x3), you get some wicked knockback chances from your pistols.  This makes it so that most enemies can't even stay in your vision (and is the reason for the point of EE) and you're free to pick them off as they continuously enter your vision.

So yeah, 3 more bronze badges and I'll unlock Nightmare difficulty, then 2 more each of bronze and silver badges to unlock the remaining challenge modes.

If you want some suggestions:

- AoSg is pretty easy until Phobos Hell, by which point you'll have wanted to stock up on a ton of shells.  Combat for long-range, double for anything that gets close.  I prefer MAD over MFa on easier difficulties, because there are few enough monsters to worry less about being hit.
- AoH is simple enough if you find a nuke, and reaching level 8 (for the Bronze) is remarkably easy with some luck.
- Make sure you check out Vaults/Mortuary at some point, they have really easy Bronze/Silver badges.  Lava, Brick, Skull, and Arachno are all easy Bronzes, too.
- AoMC is a great way to practice tactical combat skills.  Since you always hit all enemies for full damage (and vice versa) if forces you to play "kill before they can hit", which is the basis of conservative techniques in this game.  After a while you get used to the strategy involved and it turns into a pretty easy challenge.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

FrostyTheDragon

• Corporal
    • View Profile

Fixed the little error you caught in the quote replies.  What made me write it that way?

Anyways, yeah, most of my AoMr games were rather disastrous.  I usually don't LAST long enough to get level 3, even when I do skip Hell's Arena.  Basically, seeing the GCB on level 7 was a sign to me.

As for Chained Court: I usually prefer to have explosives for the place mostly because of said agility mods, but I think next game I will give the use of berserk to cross lava a shot.

As for Phobos Hell 5:  The cacos generally died in two volleys and I believe arch-viles usually went down in four unless I missed a full one.

I will say that after spending a little time on HMP, AoSg is probably my next bet, going for MAD strategy.
Pages: [1]