Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 22:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [AoI/97%/YASD] UAC gold star  (Read 5329 times)

glacialxice

• Lance Corporal
  • Arch-Vile Lt.Colonel
    • View Profile
[AoI/97%/YASD] UAC gold star
« on: April 29, 2010, 12:10 »

--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (v.0.9.9.1) roguelike post-mortem character dump

x, level 9 Cacodemon 1st Lieutenant, killed by a mancubus
 on level 22 of the Phobos base.
 He survived 96225 turns and scored 60184 points.
 He played for 51 minutes and 35 seconds.
 He didn't like it too rough.

He killed 494 out of 506 hellspawn. (97%)
 He held his right to remain violent.
 He was an Angel of Impatience!

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

UAC Star (gold cluster)
  Skull Bronze Badge

-- Graveyard -------------------------------------------------

###########################################################
  ..........^.........0.................................===.#
  .^......|.;........................................======.#
  ...........########..........................#####=..=====#
  ...........#......#..........................#...#=......=#
  ..........==......#...............0..........#..+=........#
  .........".=......#.....##########....##=#=#.#...#........#
  ........[.=#......#.....#........#....#=====M#...#.....;..#
  ...........=.=....#.....#........+....+=====.#...#........#
  .......;.==#.==...#..0..#....."..#....#=====.#}..#........#
  .........======##+#.....#........#....#.==.#.#...#........#
  ...###+##.=}............#........#....#....#.#...+[.......#
  ...#....#...............#........#....#....#.#...#........#
  ...#....#...............#........#....#X...#.#####......==#
  ...#....#..=............#........#....######............==#
  ...#....#.========......##########.......................=#
  ..0######..====.==.......0...............................=#
  ..0.....^.0==..====.........0............................=#
  ............;..=.===..................0.........}.........#
  ###########################################################

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health -1/50   Experience 35838/9
  ToHit Ranged +4  ToHit Melee +4  ToDmg Ranged +3  ToDmg Melee +3

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Tough as nails   (Level 2)
    Son of a bitch   (Level 3)
    Eagle Eye        (Level 2)
    Intuition        (Level 1)
    Badass           (Level 1)

EE->EE->SoB->SoB->SoB->TaN->TaN->Bad->Int->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   onyx armor [2]
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   modified plasma rifle (1d8)x6 [4/40] (P1)
    [c] [ Boots      ]   plasteel boots [4/4] (62%)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   assault shotgun (7d3) [4/6]

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] rocket launcher (6d6) [1/1]
    [b] modified chaingun (1d7)x4 [40/40] (P1)
    [c] blaster (2d4) [20/20]
    [d] BFG 9000 (10d8) [100/100]
    [e] Grammaton Cleric Beretta (2d6) [18/18]
    [f] red armor [1/4] (2%)
    [g] Necroarmor [6/6] (72%)
    [h] 10mm ammo (x100)
    [i] 10mm ammo (x100)
    [j] 10mm ammo (x100)
    [k] 10mm ammo (x44)
    [l] shotgun shell (x24)
    [m] rocket (x10)
    [n] rocket (x10)
    [o] rocket (x6)
    [p] power cell (x42)
    [q] power cell (x50)
    [r] power cell (x50)
    [s] power cell (x50)
    [t] power cell (x50)

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

58 former humans
    29 former sergeants
    6 former captains
    64 imps
    80 demons
    200 lost souls
    13 cacodemons
    6 barons of hell
    1 hell knight
    8 arachnotrons
    3 former commandos
    11 pain elementals
    3 arch-viles
    5 mancubi
    5 revenants
    2 bruiser brothers

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

He started his journey on the surface of Phobos.
  On level 13 he found the Grammaton Cleric Beretta!
  On level 15 he encoutered the Phobos Hellgate.
  On level 17 he found the Necroarmor!
  On level 17 he found the City of Skulls.
  He wiped out the City of Skulls.
  On level 22 he finally was killed by a mancubus.

-- Messages --------------------------------------------------

explodes! Boom!
 Fire -- Choose target...   Boom! The missile hits the arch-vile. The
 missile hits the arch-vile. Boom! The missile hits the arch-vile. The
 missile hits the arch-vile. The arch-vile dies. The arch-vile raises his
 arms! You are engulfed in flames!
 Fire -- Choose target...   The missile hits the arch-vile. The missile hits
 the arch-vile. The missile hits the arch-vile. The arch-vile dies.
 The missile hits the mancubus. The missile hits the mancubus. The missile
 hits the mancubus.
 Fire -- Choose target...   The missile hits the mancubus. The missile hits
 the mancubus. The missile hits the mancubus. The missile hits the
 mancubus. The missile hits the mancubus. The missile hits the mancubus. The
 mancubus dies.
 Fire -- Choose target...   The missile hits the mancubus. The missile hits
 the mancubus. The mancubus dies. The mancubus fires! Boom! Boom! You

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

Before him 452 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
 420 of those were killed.
 2 of those were killed by something unknown.
 8 didn't read the thermonuclear bomb manual.
 And 12 couldn't handle the stress and committed a stupid suicide.

Some rumours though, say that the Cyberdemon was killed already!
 Is he immortal? 10 souls claim to have killed him...
 1 sacrificed itself for the good of mankind.
 9 killed the bastard and survived.

Personally, I have never seen such a large pack of mancubus and arch-viles packed in one room.... Well I died but I thought the gold star medal made up for it. After playing for a few years the monsters become predictable and if you play right it is possible to go through the game without taking damage. BFG was not useful here as its too weak so i tried sniping them out with the buffed plasma rifle but there was one too many mancubi...I wasnt going for any particular badge this time round (AoI is easy on difficulties HMP and below) just wanted to go on a killing spree ;)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 12:28 by glacialxice »

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
Re: [AoI/97%/YASD] UAC gold star
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 12:44 »

AoI has become all the rage lately for some reason.  Congrats on the gold star, by the way.

I don't know what the space looked like exactly (there appears to have been a napalm explosion) but BFG is pretty good at killing everything (like, everything everywhere) in two hits, three with ridiculous certainty (although that takes a reload).

Pretty surprised you took Badass so late in your build.  AoI HNTR is pretty easy, but that's because of the HNTR, not the AoI.  Doesn't matter how much you can not get hit, one bad situation can really screw you in a game without emergency packs.

Really surprised you did City of Skulls (although I'm guessing that it helped contribute to the star).  Go figure that you get Necroarmor though, it's only annoyingly useful when you can't get spare packs.  Overall, that's a CRAPload of good items.  Blaster/Grammaton?  That's an indicator to start SoG/DG, and trust me when I say Blaster by itself is still amazing.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

glacialxice

• Lance Corporal
  • Arch-Vile Lt.Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 13:10 »

thanks :) I see that you are an expert in AoRA, 100% kills with that time limit is awesome...  I am actually going to try for at least a gold in this challenge right now, do you have any tips ?( i actually hate the time limit)  I  obtained the silver, but with 73% kills and there is no time for exploration of the levels. 100% kills is another story..

About city of skulls, it is really easy with the assult shotgun, just pull the lever and do a "windmill" effect ( skulls die easy) ;)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 13:30 by glacialxice »

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 16:46 »

Quartermaster Platinum is something I'll (eventually) get to writing about in my badge guide, although UnderAPaleGreySky seems to have more experience with AoRA in general, considering he got the Diamond last version.  Based on his own testimonial to the run, I did about the same things he did.  The only significant difference was that UV requires plenty of luck in not getting too many ridiculous packs later on and (probably) some nukes, in addition to the normal strategies.

This is what comes to mind at the moment:

- Use shotguns and RL.  Whether MAD or MFa is up to you (or neither if you get a special shotgun or missile launcher), but note that MAD blocks HR, whereas MFa will still let you get Badass if you think the knockback reduction is worth it.  I managed that victory with MFa into Fin -> WK.  Hell, even a single power mod on combat shotgun really helps a lot.  If you can get 10d3, you're golden for killing just by scouting.
- In general, you want traits that improve your speed.  HR, Rel, Fin all come to mind.  As speedy as SoG is, combat and double compliment each other enough, and you'll need as much space left over to carry extraneous stuff that you might want.
- Which brings me to another point: whenever you aren't going back to a spot, pick up everything you can.  Time can be spent after you've cleared the level and reached the stairs to decide on what you want to keep.
- Always always ALWAYS find the stairs first.  Kill things on the way, but don't stop moving (which should be doable with Shottyman) until you know how to end the level.  At this point, experience says that monsters tend to move towards the center of the map, so start your hunt there.  Blast open long-to-reach areas, listen for where enemies are, etc.
- You'll need approximately the same luck as you will in a typical AoSg run: that is, enough shells.  Pick up every single pack you can, and you'll want 9-10 stacks by Phobos Hell.  It SHOULD last you the rest of the game, but continue picking up shells anyway.  A majority of your time spent should be shooting and runloading.
- Sometimes you'll just have pray for good levels with the RNG.  Hellish Caves and Arenas are a blessing here.  Mazes and early Maze of Rooms are horrible and usually have to be strategically blasted through to make sure all the enemies find their way to the middle.
- Specific parts of the game:
--- TRY to beat Hell's Arena if you can.  This means using up med-packs for running around.  Getting the RL early helps a ton to blow open some floors and get the monsters in firing range.  More importantly, so long as you kill everything in the wave and stop at your discretion, it's still 100% for the level.  Just a good way to get experience for later.
--- It's very possible to do Chained Court with berserk, which basically halves the time you spend doing anyway.  Grab an agi mod and stick it on boots whenever you find them.  Unless you manage to find another agi mod for a better pair, don't switch, either (unless you just have to run through some lava).
--- No Wall.  Just no.  It's POSSIBLE, but you're gonna have to be pretty damn lucky on your rockets so that you don't have a barrage of acid blasts in your face.  Missile launcher is extremely tempting, but forget it.
--- Hell's Armory isn't too hard to get through in time, but you have to be capable of handling a couple Arach volleys if it comes down it.  Best way to go through the level is to blow through the center, opening all the doors and killing whatever you can see (don't go IN the rooms yet), reach the center just before the Arachs and head down along the edge.  Go into the rooms on the right side, kill the demons there, then do your best to kill the Arachs who, with any luck, are still stuck inside their little rooms.  (Usually this means getting adjacent to them and blasting your double, making sure it won't be knocked back by the attack.)  Clean up the rest on your way back.  You can finish this with 2 minutes to spare, easy, if you're smart.  It's also guaranteed power and agi mods, great for leveling up your combat and any good boots.
--- Use RL to blow through Halls of Carnage and grab the BFG: it'll come in handy at Hellgate.  If, somehow, you get here before The Wall and still generate the level, you can consider trying it, but you better have some extra cells.
--- Obviously, no Spider's Lair, Vaults, or Mortuary.  I actually did Mortuary, but I only BARELY finished (and that was after burning all of my large med-packs to avoid going back for Supercharges) with a 9d3, 0.85 combat and plasma shotgun.  Not worth the trouble.  Lava Pits isn't worth the trouble, either, but it's doable.
--- City of Skulls should be considered if you have the shells.  The extra BFG, cells and rockets are worth it.

Don't worry about Cybie (nuke kills either way) so don't even think about conserving anything for him, another reason why MAD isn't that useful.  Hope these comments help you out.  In short: shotty build but add speedy traits; find the stairs, run a lot, and plan out your movement so you can reach everything and still hit the stairs in time.  Finally, don't worry about the time limit, just focus on playing as absolutely efficiently without possible (with little regard to health most of the time, too).  Active defensive techniques such as sidestepping and coordinated running-tactics will make or break this run.

I'll be honest, the Quartermaster Plat was my first serious attempt for it since 0.9.9.1.  I got lucky with some mods, but a good deal with just solid technique in running through all the levels.  I had completed AoRA previously in 0.9.9.0, and it didn't seem all that bad, what with 80% kills (even going into Vaults and Mortuary without killing anything); note that the particular run was played without SM.  That game I cleared The Wall but had a BFG ready for the Barons (hence my comment above) so it was worth getting the BackPack.  Also (looking at on the mortem) I had collected four adv weapons, holy crap.  P3A3T2 plasma rifle is SICK.

EDIT: Damn, I wrote this in far too fatigued a state.  Fixed bad words and such.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 03:14 by Game Hunter »

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 23:29 »

[...] UnderAPaleGreySky seems to have more experience with AoRA in general, considering he got the Diamond last version. [...]
Read: Blind luck and a hundred or so runs.

That said, UV can also work to your advantage. From what I could tell, UV and N! spawn quite a few invulnerability globes. If you find one, try staying close to it and letting the counter run down. When it reaches the final seconds, grab the globe and wait for the nuke to go off. It works wonders in the final floors, as Vile packs tend to spawn a LOT, and even with MFa, still pose a large threat.
Under a pale grey sky, we shall arise.

glacialxice

• Lance Corporal
  • Arch-Vile Lt.Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 00:01 »

thank you for the tips , they really did help :) I havent obtained 100 % yet, but ill post the mortem if i ever manage it. Ill be looking forward to the completion of your badge guide game hunter, the effort you put in is very impressive any you have my support ! :)

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 03:22 »

I just noticed this part of your post I didn't really address:
I am actually going to try for at least a gold in this challenge right now, do you have any tips ?( i actually hate the time limit)

Alas, I have yet to attain Quartermaster Gold.  Since the game difficulty is very different between Gold's N! and Plat's HNTR, they're technically different kinds of challenges.  Frankly it shouldn't be too hard to get it, but I haven't had very good luck with most N! runs in general.  The two Diamonds I've achieved are based on trait choices and so were just a matter of time before the run worked out.  I can't imagine AoRA N! playing hugely different from most others except you really can just run for the stairs every single time.  I might just level HR -> HR -> DM and take Iro until I hit Cybie, then wait to die.  I'll let you know how it goes.

The Gold "I" don't understand is Lightfoot.  AoLT, despite being a very easy challenge in comparison to other challenge, is by no means easier than the standard game.  You're allowed a partial victory (which is what I suppose clinches the spot) but c'mon, carrying a nuke when you only have ten slots?  That's gotta hurt enough to be problematic, not to mention that A2 Ammochain isn't easy to pull off in N!.

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 07:40 »

For the record Game Hunter: If you're not on a level when a Nuclear device goes off, you're not credited for the kills, unless there's been a game change that I've missed. So Mr PaleGhost's invulnerability is the only real way to use nukes to achieve 100% kills.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 10:54 »

All I meant is that you could have your OWN nuke go off: it removes the trouble of playing keep-away with an invuln globe and the monsters.  Spider's Lair quickly is doable with extreme BFG usage (there should be enough cells lying around at the end in spite of the enormous splashing to make up for it), and that guarantees you one while still netting 100%.  I can't say I've ever tried that but I bet it would work.  Sounds like a great way to get a full win, too (you should only need one nuke with the invuln for a guaranteed FW).  I have no idea if a nuke appears on HF, but it should unless it's been specifically coded otherwise...which means it's the closest shot I can see for a N! full win.

But yes, I'll be sure to note that when I add it his comment to the guide.  (Besides, if that WERE the case, then Quartermaster Plat/Diamond wouldn't exactly be difficult by any means.)

Pages: [1]