Chaosforge Forum

• March 19, 2024, 03:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Skulltag Arena  (Read 55455 times)

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Re: Skulltag Arena
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2014, 01:18 »

Oh great, Tormuse blew up the game engine.  I've told Kornel a loooooooong time ago to look out for this, but he's like "m3h".  Heheheh...

Yes, you actually need space to spawn stuff otherwise bad things happen.

The DoomRL engine is not as robust as most would think.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 01:20 by thelaptop »
I computed, therefore I was.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2014, 03:27 »

Well, most of the time, it isn't an issue because no one is patient enough to completely fill the map.  (myself included)  :)  Initially, I wasn't trying to break the game; I just started killing and rekilling formers, because I figured that if I half-filled the map with their ammo and weapons, all the health bonuses would appear in one place and it would make it more likely for me to get med packs, which are hard to come by in this challenge, because formers keep picking them up...  but once I realized that I was getting extra equipment, that strategy snowballed into something ridiculous.  :P
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Shinji_Ikari_9th

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lock and load!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2014, 18:14 »

Well, most of the time, it isn't an issue because no one is patient enough to completely fill the map.  (myself included)  :)  Initially, I wasn't trying to break the game; I just started killing and rekilling formers, because I figured that if I half-filled the map with their ammo and weapons, all the health bonuses would appear in one place and it would make it more likely for me to get med packs, which are hard to come by in this challenge, because formers keep picking them up...  but once I realized that I was getting extra equipment, that strategy snowballed into something ridiculous.  :P

I think that you are being modest about this.  That idea ne-v-er works, when an ammo drop puts the count over the stack max, then it overflows to the nearest free cell.
Over and Out!

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2014, 01:30 »

I think that you are being modest about this.  That idea ne-v-er works, when an ammo drop puts the count over the stack max, then it overflows to the nearest free cell.

Unless there is no free cell, as in my above-mentioned game.  ;)

Well, I did it!  SlashER Angelic!  :D

Spoiler: Mortem (click to show/hide)

It took a few tries to get right, some when I tried a Malicious Blades build and some with a Vampyre build and Vampyre won out.  :)  I still haven't figured out what "Fun mode" means; I tried some games with it turned on and some with it off and couldn't tell the difference.  (I think this one had it off)

I will admit to abusing the exploit I mentioned in my previous post a little.  (Just a little...  well, maybe more than a little)  ;)  All the extra health combined with the prosperity rune meant that I never had to worry about health.  The first few rounds were the roughest, but once I got a decent collection of healing sources, the rest of the game went smoothly.  This time, I was careful to not ever completely fill the map with stuff.  If it ever looked like I was close, I would pull out my rocket launcher and blow stuff up.

I was pretty well unstoppable for the whole thing, even including going up against über JC.  The last battle was considerably less climactic than my previous win; I located üJC using a tracking map, then picked up a time freeze power-up and cut him up with the Ripper before he could react.  I was considering picking up an invulnerability and nuking him, but it turned out to be completely unnecessary.

Yay!  :D
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2018, 11:07 »

Whoa...  WHOA!  The last post in this thread is from friggin' four and a half years ago?!?  O_o  It doesn't feel like that long.  Where did the time go?  What am I doing with my life?  :o

Well, anyway, I felt like playing this mod again with the same build as the above game.  Nothing really special; just a re-tread of what I already did before, but I figured it's worth posting for posterity, since I got SlashER Angelic badge.  :D  The battlefield got so cluttered with junk that I had to nuke it a few times just to clear it, but I got some pretty nice gear in the process.  :)  By the end, I was moving at 0.16 seconds per move and attacking at 0.23 seconds per move, (while berserk) and gaining health from everything I killed, making me unstoppable.  Even über John Kármàk (I don't know why his name displays so weirdly in the mortem when it shows properly in-game) only had time to get a single shot off before succumbing to my Ripper.  :)

[26/26/26/26/18/9]

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2018, 08:59 »

Wow... you're basically touring the forums and looking for stuff to play huh... nice win though!  Most excellent!  =D
I computed, therefore I was.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2018, 16:51 »

Just wanted to share that I got SlashER Diamond again, this time with an Army of the Dead build.  :)  (Basically, I wanted to complete the Skulltag Arena without exploiting the bug that generates tons of extra equipment in N!)  :P

The Haste rune was helpful in mitigating the lack of speed of this build, but my biggest problem turned out to be ammo, which is a bit surprising, considering that this is the most ammo efficient shotgun build in DRL.  I spent a good chunk of the late game with less than two stacks of shells, since no Intuition trait meant that I had to do a lot more radar-shooting than normal.  (And I occasionally blew up important stuff when hitting unseen barrels)  Fortunately, eventually, I had a lucky spawn of an Arch-Vile near a Sergeant and I was able to re-kill him a bunch of times to get a hefty collection of shells and that carried me to the end.

I deliberately held off on fighting üJC until I was able to assemble a Piercing Chainsaw.  It seemed a fitting companion to my armour-piercing shotguns.  :D

Spoiler:  Mortem (click to show/hide)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2019, 21:14 »

I've been feeling like playing mods lately, so I gave this one a try and got SlashER Diamond with a Malicious Blades build.  :)  I never found a second power mod, so I couldn't get my favourite thing of dual wielding Chainswords.  Oh well...

Things were a bit shaky at the beginning, being very reliant on my shotgun, but a rage rune was a huge help in getting me established.  I got a bit excited when I saw a drain rune appear, (Vampyre combined with Malicious Blades?  Yes, please!)  :D  but it got destroyed before I could pick it up.  :(  But I found a regeneration rune shortly after that and I decided I liked that better anyway.  :)

It was tough to keep up with üJC at the end, since he kept teleporting around and surrounding himself with Cyberdemons and when I tried killing one of the Cybies to get to him, it became clear that they were being spawned faster than I could possibly kill them.  (Fortunately, I grabbed a tracking map and invulnerability sphere before he started spawning them, because the barrage of rockets was blowing up everything)  In the end, I used my rocket launcher to rocketjump up to him and used a hatred skull to make myself berserk (I was amazed there were any corpses for the skull to consume, quite frankly) and my dual-wielded knives cut him up pretty quickly.

Yay!  :D
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2019, 08:02 »

Felt like playing Skulltag the other day and got another SlashER Diamond.  :)  Posting the mortem for posterity.

Playing with a Sharpshooter build, alternating between a power modded pistol for knockback and a Storm Bolter pistol that I carefully maintained at 11 damage, so it wouldn't knockback and both bullets would hit their targets.  Gameplay time is 18 hours, because I left the game on overnight, since I can't save in this mod.  I had hoped to get a few more assemblies along the way, but mod packs are *very* scarce in this mod and after postponing the ending a couple times, I just gave up and decided to end it.  Once üJC was out, I grabbed an invulnerability and two time freezes and just drilled him with the Storm Bolter while he was helpless for an easy win.
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2019, 13:38 »

Another SlashER Diamond, this time with a Gunrunner build, just for fun.  :)  The Railgun is absolutely brutal in a Gunrunner build, because it takes away the Railgun's normal drawback of slow firing speed.  Being able to deliver multiple devastating blasts per second made short work of üJC.  :)

[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]