Chaosforge Forum

• April 25, 2024, 14:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Unicode Text for Mortems  (Read 2890 times)

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Unicode Text for Mortems
« on: May 14, 2010, 01:54 »

In view of the fact that many of the CF RL games are using higher order ASCII for their graphics, I move that the mortem files be output in UTF-8 to better preserve these higher order ASCII for display on the forum under the mortem tags.

We are already living in the 21st century, where UTF-8 is very prevalent -- many text editors (including notepad and the text box of the CF forums also) can handle UTF-8 without any problems.  As such, we shouldn't have to rely on the older ideas of code pages to provide the correct glyphs for the characters we are showing in these mortem files.  Doing this will also give a more professional mortem that better reflects the quality of the ASCII art used in the games.

(While I am arguing for using UTF-8 for mortem files, the same argument works for the screenshot keys that generate BBCode/plain files of the current game screen.)
I computed, therefore I was.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
Re: Unicode Text for Mortems
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 08:01 »

Yea I agree with that.
The forum automatically ampersand-escapes unicode right?

EDIT: Oh, seems like it doesn't... IIRC wouldn't that give compat problems with IE in that case? Dunno tho, I never really used IE lol :P
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 08:05 by Mrazerty »
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Re: Unicode Text for Mortems
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 08:41 »

I wasn't really thinking in terms of escaped HTML entities -- I was referring to actually using the UTF-8 encoding.  Take this post for example.  It's in simplified Chinese and was typed directly into the text box of the forum -- it shows up okay on machines with the installed fonts for any browser.

That was what I had in mind.  In the case of the mortem/screen shot texts, it is even easier because I think the basic fonts that appear on most systems can handle the myriad of extended Latin characters and/or line drawing characters.
I computed, therefore I was.
Pages: [1]