Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 09:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 39

Author Topic: Scales of War: DnD 4e PBF  (Read 192236 times)

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
Scales of War: DnD 4e PBF
« on: June 01, 2010, 07:04 »

Summer has nearly passed. The nights are getting shorter now, and there's a crispness in the air that beckons autumn forward. It's a time of change. A time when people gather close, and get ready to hunker down against the encroaching cold. The last ditch efforts to prepare for harvests are beginning, while others turn to higher tasks.

A most humble beginning

Fate leads us onwards. We each have our own destiny to reach. It may be the Gods that drive us, or perhaps just our own wills. But we all have a moment in time we're straining to reach. For this reason, within days of each other five unlikely persons find themselves inside Elisir Vale, answering summons for reinforcements against enemies in the western mountains. It's not an uncommon event, these summons. But these people are special, somehow. Their stories are different. They unfold with a fluid grace unlike anything the townsfolk have ever seen.

The Master of Summons is - however - unimpressed. After looking you over, he snorts. "Finally, group of five. You will travel together to answer the summons. Average lot, though. You'll die within minutes. Anyway, fifty gold each of you for answering the summons. You'll get double that if you actually show up at Overlook. According to these official summons, you'll need to appear within 30 days of when I've sealed them."

His seal inks briefly upon each summons, and they are handed to you along with a pouch jingling with treasure. "Look, you show a bit more promise than most who come through here, so I'll give you a tip. Not a one of you will survive a minute against what's out in those mountains if reports are true. It's a five day's march to Overlook. I suggest you spend the remaining days doing the hardest training of your life. Now get out of here. New recruits don't show up while the old batch is still waiting around."

With that you are pushed out into the early evening air of Marthton. After a minute or two to spend your new wealth, you are encouraged to leave by the local militia. West appears to be the order of the day. The townsfolk you pass along the way indicate the Brindol is the closest and best place to stay the night.

The quick exit (being thrown out is perhaps more precise) from Marthton dampens the mood slightly, and none of you is quite keen to talk until the lights of Brindol are warming your path. The Guards stop you quickly, but displaying your official summons makes them wave you on. Finally, a rumbling from perhaps your most odd looking companion breaks your silence. "An Inn. You'll need to sleep."

The first Inn you find along the road is called the Antler and Thistle, and the common room is lively for this time of year. A whole seven customers can be sighted through the doors. Enter, adventurer, and claim your destiny!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 09:14 by Tavana »
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Re: Scales of War: DnD 4e PBF
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 08:58 »

- "Ah, there seems to be one" - the one to break the silence before speaks again. He certainly isn't an everyday sight. Warforged. Living construct as they say, creations of one of past empires. Most of you probably have seen or heard of one, but having one in the group is a wierd occurance. And yet there is more to Graven, as he told you to call him, than to normal warforged. For one he looks old, older than most others - his body while still in working order, for lack of better term looks as if it was exposed to seasons for a long time. Then there are marks of battles past - curiously looking like wooden parts grew to fill the gaps - especially on his forehead where one such "healed wound" seems to cross some sort of rune orginally put there. And finally there is something about the way he talks - you could swear that his voice and way he speaks shifts sometimes.

- "Will it suffice for your needs?" - Graven asks his traveling companions.

Quote from: OOC
Sorry for a bit ackward post, figured I'll give you people some description of character so that you know what you're walking with ;)
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

S.K. Ren

• DiabloRL Beta Tester
  • Sergeant
  • You can hide... until there's nowhere left to run
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 09:55 »

"It seems suitable." The human who spoke was a man with wavy black hair. He appeared young but he also looked very weathered, like at some point his life had been drained away, leaving him with a gaunt appearance. His eyes were also peculiar, for the iris of one was pure white and the the other was pure black. And although his body looked frail, he had an eerie resilience to him that made him hard to judge. His full name contains more than 300 syllables which he has never been allowed to finish reciting, so he allows most to call him Adis.

He walked a few steps ahead of the group and stopped. With an abrupt turn, he queried, "Or would you prefer to keep walking?"
(6:50:00 AM) Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
(6:50:23 AM) xander_morhaime: Briefly.

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 10:40 »

The young women who joined you shortly before conscripting quickly found her way to the corner of the room. At first glance, she could appear to be an ordinary human, a girl around twenty in age, of very small frame, and semi-short black hair, cut in mercenary fashion. Only at first, though, for taking a closer look revealed if not what she was, then certainly what she was not- human, for example. Her skin was unnaturally pale, to such point that it looked more like a parchment than actual tissue, giving her rather unpleasant, cadaverous demeanour, and sometimes you could swear that you saw her veins through it. To make matters worse, something about her seemed plainly 'wrong', though no one of you could explain what exactly.

And if not for these two rather unusual quirks, the enormous sword strapped to her back was a dead giveaway. No man (or women) of her frame should be able to carry such weapon, let alone swing it. Truth be told, it appeared more to be just rough-shaped lump of iron than an actual weapon. And judging from her wide collection of scars, the oversized blade was totally not for show, and she apparently was able to fight using it.

Not human for sure. And you had no clue from what species she hailed. And the lack of this knowledge was certainly not helped by her quite limited talkativeness.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 15:44 by Gargulec »
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.

fwoop

• Elder
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 11:07 »

An unkempt ball of hair, that some suspect to be halfling, energetically flitters to and fro, pausing on occasion to eat an insect or scratch places not worth dwelling on.
"Hrm? Inn? Nonono! Rah say keep going! We-"
An uncharacteristically loud squirgly noise erupts from the small halfling. He contemplates his stomach for a moment.
"Yah Inn good. Eats!"

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 12:54 »

Meanwhile, Karan folded the sleeve of her drab shirt, revealing that her entire upper arm was wrapped in soiled bandage. Curiously, it was not stained with dark red, in the colour of gore, but black.

Slowly, hissing in pain, she started to remove the cloth, exposing half-knit, long slashing wound. To your disgust, you noticed that blood that slowly seeped from it had colour of stains on the bandage- black. Another oddity.

She washed out the wound, and pulling a fresh bandage from her sack, begun to wrap the arm again. Afterwards, she put both her sack and her weapon to the ground, and turned towards you.

For the first time in several hours, she spoke.

'So, what brings you to that journey, apart from the monetary gain?'
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 16:31 »

The Antler and Thistle's Common Room is a modest affair. Bar at one side, tables on the other is pretty good money making scheme as far as they go. The patron's don't glance at you too much until your backs are turn, being too polite to stare. The bartender is a robust man with years of experience polishing the few glasses he has behind the counter for regulars who won't break them. His eyes widen slightly when you enter, though if could simply be just at the number of his customers nearly doubling all at once. After getting a good look at your band, though, he decides to remain behind the bar. Perhaps it's a safer place to be with such folks around. He bangs around behind the counter quite noisily to attract the attention of the serving girl, but she doesn't appear as of yet.

The table you seat yourselves at in the front corner is well away from any other customers, and any who turn their heads when money is mentioned quickly turn away after seeing such an open wound. Clearly these people are not used to seeing violence.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

S.K. Ren

• DiabloRL Beta Tester
  • Sergeant
  • You can hide... until there's nowhere left to run
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 17:02 »

After seating himself, Adis turns to Karan with interest. "I myself am just following voices in my head...," he paused, noticing the wry looks from his companions, with the exception Graven. You just couldn't tell what he was thinking from his face alone. "Believe me, it is not as weird as it seems," he continued, " but I am more interested in that wound of yours, what gave it to you?" Adis' face was filled with fascination more than concern.
(6:50:00 AM) Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
(6:50:23 AM) xander_morhaime: Briefly.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 22:50 »

- "There is something starting out there." - there was that shift in voice again, as Graven replied Karan's question - "Something important. We- I don't know what it is but I feel I need to be there when it happens..."

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 01:00 »

"It wouldn't happen to be me, would it?" Norian walked into the inn, after a period of fresh air outside. With his smile that everyone was familiar with(Because he usually had it on, no matter the circumstance), he strode over to his seat and sat down.

Norian may be a priest of Pelor, but looking at him, you wouldn't know it. Brown hair slightly below his shoulders, medium build, about 6 feet tall. Pender, Norian's father, said about him, that "My son is more than a match for any militiaman." Yet he chose the way of the gods. Why? Only Norian knows, and so far, he's told no one.

"Oh? Why have I agreed to this journey? Well...I've never told anyone, but for some reason, I feel I can trust you all. Perhaps this is a sign from The Sun himself..."

Norian cleared his throat a bit.

"Anyways, I joined the priesthood, and went on this journey for a very simple reason: I want to be a part of history. I want to leave something that affects the whole world in my wake. I think it is a common goal, yet it drives me greatly."

"So, what's the plan for tommorrow? Anyone?"

---
And there we go. I have made my appearence, and now we can get this ball rolling.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 22:56 by Madtrixr »
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 02:38 »

The serving girl, modestly scantily clad (if such a thing is possible) finally appears from the back regions of the Inn. More than a few eyes follow her, and you can certainly see why the Inn has the patronage it does. Even the trio of card players in the far corner stop their game momentarily to watch her move across the floor. The Barman exchanges a brief word with her, and she glides over to you, carrying a tray laden with five drinks.

"Good Sirs, a beverage, compliments of the Antler and Thistle."  her voice is light yet strong, and you think you might detect a hint of elven heritage. She looked pointedly at the Warforged one, while she sets them down on the table. "Aldus won't let you pay for the first round, either. Apparently one of...your kind...saved his Uncle when the Red Hand attacked a decade ago. He's never forgotten it. You and anyone with you is welcome to stay here as long as you'd like." Her quick glance around the table makes it clear that there are certain exceptions to that rule. Without waiting for a reply, she turns and heads back towards the bar.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 03:15 »

Graven seems to consider serving girl's words for a moment.

- "Thank you. I am glad to hear there are some of my kind fulfilling their purpose." - he replies as she is turning back - "This unit would have a query though - could you explain to me what "Red Hand" you mentioned is? I was... away... for long time."

fwoop

• Elder
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 04:18 »

Eyes barely above the table, Rah ravenously mauls a large leg of red meat.
"Mmrhph yous wants meat Nori? Mphmumph tastes gre-"
The barmaid passes by. Lumps of meat tumble from the halfling's suddenly slack jaw.
After she leaves, his eyes gradually unglaze. He looks down at the leg of meat with a confused expression.

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 04:37 »

The serving girl turns and smiles a wry smile, uncertain quite how to respond to what is, as far as the locals are concerned, known to everyone. As she opens her mouth to speak, the entry to the Antler and Thistle burts open, and all thoughts of her reply are lost...forever.

Bar Fight!

Four hobgoblins pour through the now shattered door, and with a cry of "For Sinruth! For the Hand!" the closest patron and the serving girl are skewered before you can even think to react. Gasps and cries arise from the local peasants as they grab ahold of drinks and garden tools as improvised weapons. Perhaps you had best do the same...

Spoiler: Initiative Order (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 05:19 by Tavana »

fwoop

• Elder
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 05:22 »

Rah's head whips around.
*Gasp!*
Enemies! Right next to his bestest pal Nori even!
Meat in hand like some kind of club, he bounds through the air like a hairy cannonball toward the threat.
"You no pick on Nori! He is weak, like small girl! I save you Nori ok!"

Closing in on the intruder, his senses dim. All he can see is the target. His inner fury builds - becomes fire! Grows hot! Fire-

Is released!

Rah uses Hunter's Quarry on the I14 chump next to Nori; then uses Open The Gates of Battle to move to H14 and attack the I14 chump.
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2544603/
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2544604/
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2544605/
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 39