Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 08:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39

Author Topic: Scales of War: DnD 4e PBF  (Read 192232 times)

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Scales of War: DnD 4e PBF
« Reply #555 on: March 05, 2011, 21:30 »

"Well, That was a lot of fun, relatively speaking." Norian said after wiping some blood off of himself. "So, I see some altars over there! I'm going to go see if they are anything interesting, while you guys take a break, maybe keep an eye on those coffins. If you see a lid move at all, give me a shout." With that, Norian walks over to the altars, keeping an eye on his surroundings the whole time. When he gets to the altars, he decides to take a thorough look at them.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 10, 2011, 05:20 »

- "I'll go check in case goblins we killed had keys or other things we might find usefull. Be back shortly."

Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 10, 2011, 05:50 »

Nothing new on the bodies.

Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Xander Morhaime

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Colonel
  • Boot to the head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 10, 2011, 13:15 »

Inatai settled down by one of the walls near the staircase to tend to his wounds and meditate briefly. Once he'd recovered from the fight, he moved to inspect the doorway.

"You would wish to go through here, then?" the Gith asked, running his hand over the door's surface, giving it a slight nudge to see if it was even locked. "The choice does appear to be between this passage and backtracking to the entrance to follow a different path..." he muttered mostly to himself.

12. A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

S.K. Ren

• DiabloRL Beta Tester
  • Sergeant
  • You can hide... until there's nowhere left to run
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 10, 2011, 13:50 »

With everyone doing their own thing, Adis wandered over to one of the Sarcophagi. Clearing it surface, he sat down to rest. 

"Hmm, perhaps my new familiar can slip under the door and scout for us?" He called out to Inatai who had taken to inspecting the large door.

(6:50:00 AM) Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
(6:50:23 AM) xander_morhaime: Briefly.

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 11, 2011, 02:30 »

The door has a little resistance, but moves gently once some pressure is applied. It slides noiselessly back into place once Inatai stops applying force.

Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 11, 2011, 03:50 »

- "It seems that goblins tried in vain to open the graves... well them or someone with intents on plunder" - Graven pointed out returning - "Nothing of interest on the corpses. We might as well move on. The door seems like an obvious idea."

S.K. Ren

• DiabloRL Beta Tester
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 11, 2011, 05:10 »

While waiting for the party to reorganize, Adis moved to the door. Opening the door just a crack, he deposited his familiar at the base. Within moments the tiny gelatinous cube had squeezed through. "It will be some time be for he is back." Adis muttered, returning to the sarcophagus he was sitting on.

Musing to himself, Adis began to think of how to open the sarcophagi. There was no way he would be able to manage it, but perhaps he could assist the others. Standing back he began to murmur to himself, focusing his mind on the lid of the sarcophagi. Adis breath slowly became visible and coalesced into frozen mist which drifted to the sarcophagi. Moments later the mist was gone but a film of frost remained on the surface of the lid. "S-so anyone want to crack this open?" Adis asked with a slight shiver.
(6:50:00 AM) Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 13, 2011, 07:04 »

"Hmm...Interesting." Norian turned to his companions and announced his findings.

"Okay, looking at the altars, lots of books, and a couple...eyeballs, It shows that these used to be shrines to Vecna, God of Secrets. However, Looking closer reveals that some of the books are war tactics manuals and that the eyes have a tiny replica of a spear struck through them. Plus, theres also touches of incense that certain warriors burn while praying to a certain god before they go out to battle. The god? Bane, God of Conquest. Judging by how much incense there is, These were recently converted to Altars of Bane. Now, with this, we can reasonably assume one of two things: A) The goblins had a change of heart due to some sort of miracle event and switched to Bane, or B) Someone has taken control of the goblins, and demands that they now worship bane. However, I need more evidence before I can make a conclusion."

Norian took a deep breath, and decided to go look at the garbage pit, despite the horrendous smell. He imagined that used up sacrifices and/or rejected sacrifices were going to be down in there, and maybe he'd get some more info, at the very least, he wondered if there was anything down there at all...maybe even one of the poor souls they were looking for.
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 14, 2011, 02:38 »

- "Why assume they worshiped Vecna originally?" - construct interrupted - "Back during my times in Nerath army we fought remnants of even older goblinoid empire, and as far as I know one of major  deities they revered was Bane. Of course I know little of this ones here, but God of Conquest feels like an obvious choice for warband taking the name of - as I've been told one of more successful conquering armies in recent history. Less so with Vecna - they don't seem nearly... subtle enough. I suspect that they were Bane worshipers to begin with, and Vecna altars are something that just happened to be ere in the crypt earlier."

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 14, 2011, 05:07 »

Karan appeared to be really annoyed after combat, even more than usually. Apparently her streak of bad luck with goblinoids struck her ego more than she would want to admit. Disregarding the religious discussion, she approached the sarcophagus.

'Me, mage' she muttered to Adis, taking her sword, and using the blade of it as a makeshift crowbar, inserting it between the lid, and then strongly pulling it downwards, hoping that the enchanted steel will not break.
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 14, 2011, 07:03 »

The smell of stale coffin is a very welcome scent in comparison to the wonderful sewage pit. Karan manages to get the top of the sarcophagus firmly off, making sliding it the rest of the way an easy task. Inside there's a very well decayed skeleton with arms folded over its chest. It's clutching a small, ornamental pendant with an eye engraved on it.

Down near the feet of this skeleton is an odd parcel, wrapped in tattered cloth. Brushing away the cloth reveals a well preserved piece of leather armor, and a small bag with a gem and a few coins within it.

Heartened by this turn of events, Karan continues to pry off the heavy stone lids, with mixed results. Only the nearest sarcophagus has anything of worth, and the two southern ones have multiple skeletons inside, in odd positions. It's hard to decide what they're doing, or who would have buried them in that fashion. But you're able to distract yourself from the sight by the shiny orb from the northern tomb.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 07:11 by Tavana »

S.K. Ren

• DiabloRL Beta Tester
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 14, 2011, 10:18 »

Adis took the orb in hand, examining its surface. While doing so, he felt the base of his robes being pulled. The small familiar had returned with news. Images of a dark hallway and small moving figures in the darkness filled Adis' mind.
    "It seems we may have more gnomes on our hands. I cannot tell due to the darkness but there are definitely several short things moving about behind that door. The corridor continues for a ways and turns left." Adis announced, storing the tiny gelatinous cube inside his robes. He would have to find a container to keep it in once they left, or he would be naked before the week was out.

Xander Morhaime

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Colonel
  • Boot to the head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 14, 2011, 13:29 »

Inatai turned his attention to the parcel instead of the obvious shiny item, unwrapping it to find the leather armour it contained.

"This would be useful. I shall keep it," he stated, withdrawing briefly out of sight to change outfits, leaving the other spoils to be divided as others saw fit. "As to the corridor ahead: we have an advantage now, for we know what dangers may lurk, while those dangers do not yet know what comes their way. I say we press on."
12. A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 14, 2011, 22:20 »

"Hmm... You may in fact be correct, Graven. What that leads to now is why there where altars to Vecna here in the first place...An old cult? Maybe an ancient civilization? Who knows? Once again, I'll need more evidence to figure this out." Norian turns around and walks away from the pit.

"Okay, first the good news. I didn't find any sacrifices or anything similar down there, so we can assume, at least for now, the the others are still alive."

"On the other hand, I smell absolutely horrendous right now, and will need to wash myself throughly when we get back to town. By the way, I agree with Inatai, let's get moving, after we grab the rest of the stuff, of course." Norian suddenly had a thought. It was time consuming, and would probably turn up nothing, but he wanted to make sure he had covered all his bases. "Wait, let me take a quick look at these skeletons, maybe there's a reason they're buried like this, if not, then we can get moving, I suppose."

Norian proceeds to go over to the coffins and take a look. He is immediately struck by the feeling that something wasn't quite...right, about the skeletons. He couldn't put his finger on it, but there was certainly something off. "I...I may need some assistance, Adis, perhaps you can come over and see if you can figure out what's wrong with these skeletons, because I can't. But there IS something wrong. There's some extra hands in these southernmost tombs, but not from any of the skeletons in there, but there's something up, I don't know what though. What's going on here?"
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 19:22 by Madtrixr »

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39