Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 13:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: More room ideas  (Read 5871 times)

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
More room ideas
« on: June 04, 2010, 02:05 »

I've got a list going for room designs in AliensRL, because ultimately I'd like to see each room be unique and have a purpose. I'd like even more ideas for what would be present in the towers of this semi-military base, though. Without colouring your ideas too much, here are a few of the things that I'm thinking could fit in the AliensRL world.

Code: (Rooms) [Select]
Mess Hall - Lots of tables with chairs, kitchen at one end.
Lots of vents in the kitchen = lots of Aliens can come get you through them.
Appears mainly in Civilian, perhaps Military as well.
----
Toilet Block - Stalls and vents galore. Almost always spawns a medpack.
Appears in every tower but Storage?
----
Shower Block + Swimming Pool - There'd have to be some awesome rewards for going in,
like maybe really good chances of keycards in the locker rooms next to the showers, because
there'd be a heck of a lot of Aliens in these places. Plus it's creepy. Anyone remember Aliens 2?
Spawns in Civilian.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
Re: More room ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 05:38 »

More layout elements:
The traces of experiments in the Medical (or Main) Tower (tubes with alien/human hybrids' bodies). Labolatories, operation rooms, etc.
Leasure and open areas in Civilian Tower. Swimmin gpools, green areas, entertaiment areas.
Computers, security terminals in the Security Tower.
Some machines, vehicles, manufacturing lines in the Engineering Tower.
Plenty of crap (not only the useful stuff) in the Storage Tower.

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 06:08 »

I would like to see some of the rooms still under construction, and varients of most rooms with a lot of damage done to them. Wreckage and rubble you can't cross, but aliens can.

Aliens begining to convert the walls into a nest.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Kolya

• Elder
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
    • systemshock.org
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 08:37 »

ultimately I'd like to see each room be unique and have a purpose.

Many of the elements described above can probably integrated with the generator, but I wouldn't sacrifice the random level generation for a deterministic scenario. And that's very much what your vision sounds like.

zaimoni

• Greater Elder
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 09:33 »

Many of the elements described above can probably integrated with the generator, but I wouldn't sacrifice the random level generation for a deterministic scenario.
No determiinism is implied.

Remember, the entire system of levels is generated at the start of the game.  It shouldn't be much of a slowdown to impose constraints on legal levels.

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 03:10 »

Please don't think of it as sacrificing random level generation. Instead, think of it this way: the level generator will place the walls, and the doors. Once this is done, it will look at the room configurations. So, if you've got a huge open space, it could be a repair bay (storage), firing range (military), swimming pool (civilian) or operating theatre (medical). There are just some OPTIONS. Items within them would be randomly placed, and wouldn't be the same every time.

I'm not saying "Hey, we need to have the same office with two chairs and long desk on level 3 main tower!" I'm saying "Alright there's a room with one exit on level three of the main tower. Maybe it could be an office?"

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 09:45 »

I'd really like some more input on possible ways to make the rooms in AliensRL more "life like" - i.e. that someone could have actually lived and worked in it.

Maybe asking overall what types of rooms you'd like to see is too general. Instead, let's look at it this way. Think about a small room with one exit.
Code: [Select]
#####
#...#
#....
#...#
#####
The level generator would just place that room and slap a door into it. What could that become?

A closet lined with shelves and a medpack at the end?
Code: (Closet) [Select]
#####
#===#
#+...
#===#
#####

A bathroom with two stalls (and no sinks? ewww...) ?
Code: (Toilet) [Select]
#####
#o\.#
#--..
#o/.#
#####

What about a smaller room? A longer room?
Pages: [1]