Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 10:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Starfire - interest check  (Read 3806 times)

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Starfire - interest check
« on: July 01, 2010, 12:34 »

Hmm, how to start... maby with this: I'm looking if I can find players victims guinea pigs voulnteers for a "learn-the-rules" game of Starfire. What is Starfire you may think? To quote the rulebook itself: "Starfire is a gaming system that simulates both tactical combat and empire building campaigns in space". Or in simpler terms imagine computer games like Stars!, Master of Orion or Galactic Civilizations... yeah, it's kind of like that only in form of boardgame. Worth noting is that the game is:

a) slow. It's not a fast game where turns would be going each day, and fact that rules will be learned as we go will probably make it even slower

b) complicated. As in complicated-complicated. That's why I'm looking to organize a game of it - Starfire looks like a game that can be awesome when you get the hang of it, but trying to learn it by sitting down and reading through the rulebook without any practical experience alongside of it went about as good as trying to learn math by jamming math book through your ear straight to brain.

So that would be it for the intro I think. If any potential cannon fodder is willing to try it out feel free to ask more questions.

PS. If anyone run into series of books under name of Starfire by David Weber and Steve White - yes, these are related.
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Starfire - interest check
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 13:11 »

If my psychology will accept that somebody counts me as player victim guinea pig voulnteer then you can count me as such.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

Xander Morhaime

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Colonel
  • Boot to the head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 13:23 »

I will be taking part as well.
12. A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

S.K. Ren

• DiabloRL Beta Tester
  • Sergeant
  • You can hide... until there's nowhere left to run
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 23:06 »

If we're all learning the rules as we go I don't mind sacrificing time to this.
(6:50:00 AM) Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
(6:50:23 AM) xander_morhaime: Briefly.

Aerdan

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Winter Knight
    • View Profile
    • Inari
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 08:54 »

I'm up for it, myself.
A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. -- Engineer's motto.
Pages: [1]