Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 04:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Collaborative World-Building  (Read 3781 times)

Aerdan

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Winter Knight
    • View Profile
    • Inari
Collaborative World-Building
« on: July 07, 2010, 08:14 »

Would anyone be interested in a collaborative world-building exercise using the Dawn of Worlds rules? They're pretty simple and short, but if you don't want to read the PDF just yet, here's a capsule summary:

The game runs in three stages. Each stage is comprised of at least 5 rounds, after which a vote is taken as to whether to advance to the next stage or not; a majority is required until round 10 in a stage, at which point anyone may advance the stage.

There are three stages, each of which have their own power costs for player actions. The first stage, or the Age of Creation, is defining the terrain of the world; reshaping the world is cheapest here. Stage two is the Age of Birth, when creating races and civilizations is cheapest. Finally, stage three is the Age of Diplomacy, when racial interactions are cheapest.

Each round, each player rolls 2d6 and adds it to their pool of power; turns are taken in highest to lowest rolled order. During their turn, a player may spend as much or as little power as they choose. However, by ending their turn with 5 or fewer power, a cumulative +1 power is gained next round (up to +3).

The players are, effectively, 'gods' in this setting, though they need not appear to the inhabitants as deities. Actions that can be taken range from reshaping the land to creating and commanding races, and more.

[EDIT: Added another tidbit.]
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 18:47 by Aerdan »
A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. -- Engineer's motto.

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Collaborative World-Building
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 10:40 »

Looks quite fun. I think I'm quite interested to commit my time to this.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 00:02 »

I heard that It's hard to be a god, yet I am willing to become a volunteer. ;]
Sign me up.

S.K. Ren

• DiabloRL Beta Tester
  • Sergeant
  • You can hide... until there's nowhere left to run
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 02:30 »

I'll join. After all, I have real world experience in these matters.
(6:50:00 AM) Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
(6:50:23 AM) xander_morhaime: Briefly.
Pages: [1]