Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 21:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: New level style: warehouse  (Read 6154 times)

BEEF

• Lance Corporal
  • Made in Argentina
    • View Profile
New level style: warehouse
« on: July 10, 2010, 22:19 »

Just something to shake things up on your way down to the Cyberdemon. Between 5-10 wall segments with one door each are generated in fixed locations, dividing the level into as many as 8 rooms. If all the walls generate, the level looks like this:
Code: [Select]
#########
#.#.#.#.#
#########
The rooms are loosely filled with stacks of crates, which are 1x1, 2x2, and 2x3 pillars.

With the crates here and there but so few doors, you'll have lots of cover and lots of mobility, but you won't have much control over the monsters. Ambushes would be common.

Angles of death

• Second Lieutenant
  • HOLD. DEVILS. POT OF TEA!
    • View Profile
Re: New level style: warehouse
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 02:12 »

Yeah I would love this to be put in : )
...........A...A....M...A.....V
......V.............@......A..>
........V....V..C....B....B..A
Take a look to the sky just before you die it's the last time he will!!!

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 05:14 »

Good idea. That would kinda look like E2M2 in the original Doom, I guess.
Actually I'd rather define the level design like this: The whole level filled with that kinda crates, + also mixed with a few larger rooms (much like those in hellish city levels).
Sounds good?
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 09:37 »

Either one sounds fine.  What we really need first is the wall-eating blood bug fixed.  That bug affects even the current vaults-in-level variant and can be quite a game killer for neophytes to this awesome game.
I computed, therefore I was.

Angles of death

• Second Lieutenant
  • HOLD. DEVILS. POT OF TEA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 10:34 »

Wall eating blood?Thats never happened to me.
...........A...A....M...A.....V
......V.............@......A..>
........V....V..C....B....B..A
Take a look to the sky just before you die it's the last time he will!!!

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 02:10 »

Try compiling DoomRL from source in Graphics mode. You'll really notice it then. ;)
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 02:23 »

Try compiling DoomRL from source in Graphics mode. You'll really notice it then. ;)
Sir, thou art a temptress, for we hath not access to thy source code!

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 04:11 »

the wall-eating blood bug

Umm... Not to sound like a complete noob, but what is this bug, exactly?

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 06:12 »

the wall-eating blood bug

Umm... Not to sound like a complete noob, but what is this bug, exactly?

Sometimes levels spawn with blood on the walls, most notably in cases where there are vaults ("You feel excited!" is one marker of such a vault). For some reason, the walls deteriorate over time until there's nothing left of the original room: this can lead to far more monsters out in the open than is normal. Given that Arenas/Hellish Caves are regarded as the harder types of floors, the wall-eating blood will make a floor much harder.

Honestly, I didn't think it was a bug, except for the speed at which this happens...and maybe that the entire room dies off. If the process was much slower and left the room technically intact, it wouldn't be as weird.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 06:32 »

Sometimes levels spawn with blood on the walls, most notably in cases where there are vaults ("You feel excited!" is one marker of such a vault). For some reason, the walls deteriorate over time until there's nothing left of the original room: this can lead to far more monsters out in the open than is normal.

OK... That... is... fucking... weird... And I certainly haven't noticed it... But I'll be watching eagle-eyed for it from now on, that's for sure... :)

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 07:21 »

The fastest way to see this is to look around for room-in-rooms on a level with lots of Lost Souls or Demons.  Those are the usual denizens of the vaults, and if a large enough number of them appear, it is probably becaue the vault blew up from the corrosive blood bug.

Note: This wall-eating behaviour was not present in previous releases.

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 09:43 »

The fastest way to see this is to look around for room-in-rooms on a level with lots of Lost Souls or Demons.  Those are the usual denizens of the vaults, and if a large enough number of them appear, it is probably becaue the vault blew up from the corrosive blood bug.

Note: This wall-eating behaviour was not present in previous releases.

Hmm... Well, I had certainly encountered broken walls before, and indeed, rooms that start off with broken walls still exist...

Those walls were like that when I first spawned and killing that lost soul was the only action I had taken when I took the screenshot. I assume, though, that you actually are seeing disappearing walls, rather than pre-existing broken ones like this, correct? I just thought I'd let you know that pre-existing broken walls do exist...

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 18:24 »

Those walls were like that when I first spawned and killing that lost soul was the only action I had taken when I took the screenshot. I assume, though, that you actually are seeing disappearing walls, rather than pre-existing broken ones like this, correct? I just thought I'd let you know that pre-existing broken walls do exist...

Not "disappearing walls".  Using your terminology, yes, broken ones.  Look carefully at the screenshot: the walls that are obviously missing from the vault all have blood on them.  Back in the betas and earlier, even if there were blood splattered in the rooms, they did not remove walls like that.  This is particularly annoying for any vaults in the level, since it releases all the denizens inside it, whether you want to deal with them or not.

UltimateChaos

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Arch-Vile Mjr. General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 18:30 »

The crates could contain ammo or boots, or maybe some could even contain barrels!
[22/22/19/7/3]
Just completed Strongman Gold ^_^

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 03:16 »

Not "disappearing walls".  Using your terminology, yes, broken ones.  Look carefully at the screenshot: the walls that are obviously missing from the vault all have blood on them.  Back in the betas and earlier, even if there were blood splattered in the rooms, they did not remove walls like that.  This is particularly annoying for any vaults in the level, since it releases all the denizens inside it, whether you want to deal with them or not.

Yes, but the walls were already gone when I first spawned in the level and I've seen broken walls very much like the one in my screenshot in previous releases of the game...
Pages: [1] 2  All