Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 10:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Doom the Movie  (Read 17105 times)

Glowie

• IRC-Op
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
    • Frozen Depths
Doom the Movie
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2006, 17:46 »

Quoting: Anticheese
Imps dont breath fire, They throw it.

Ah yeah sorry about that. I confirmed it and you were correct. I always thought that imps somehow shoot from their mouth/breathe it. The old Doom 1/2 graphics are misleading. :)

Santiago Zapata

• Temple Guardian
  • Backer
  • First Lieutenant
  • Roguelike Developer
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
Doom the Movie
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2006, 15:22 »

I really didnt like it too much... the plot was... there was no plot :p

it was too much residentevilesque.... I must say that I expected a lot more from it, I couldnt see the gates of hell or anything similar, and it all seemed to me like it was happening on a 3 stories building instead of a giant base

I would have prefered much more an adaptation of the doom 1 plot, but I guess that's just my way of thinking... I really enjoyed Advent Children, but I guess DooM is just not good to produce that kind of things
Slash (Castlevania, Metroid, Drash, ZeldaRL)
Temple of The Roguelike
Slashie.net

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Doom the Movie
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2006, 15:27 »

Quoting: Santiago Zapata
I really didnt like it too much... the plot was... there was no plot :p

What destroyed Doom: the Movie was political correctness :-/. Need I elaborate on that?
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Doom the Movie
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2006, 03:15 »

Howso was it PC?

(Examples in the movie, I havent seen it yet, It dosent come out on DVD untill the 23'rd of march.)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Doom the Movie
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2006, 04:44 »

Oh come on -- no Hell, no Big FUCKing Gun, no Cyber nor Spiderdemon? This supposed to be Doom? I rather see it as some shitty second grade SciFi movie :-/.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

jake250

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.starforces.fr.st
Doom the Movie
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2006, 05:54 »

Quoting: Kornel Kisielewicz
Oh come on -- no Hell, no Big FUCKing Gun, no Cyber nor Spiderdemon? This supposed to be Doom? I rather see it as some shitty second grade SciFi movie :-/.

Im sorry but I think saying this is just stupid... they made it more serious, no hell and what? there are still many thing about Doom even if its not what YOU think make doom. If you dont like the movie for this, then im sorrry, but its not a way to judge it. The movie is not perfect, but stop expecting a movie to be EXACTLY LIKE THE GAME. Look like its what everyone wanted so everyone get "omg this movie sucks"...

Yet, its one of the best movie I saw, with some bad stuff here and there but nothing serious. Now please, if your going to insult the game, gives a real reason... and yeah, elaborate, 'cause I guess I don't get it.

Obscillesk

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Doom the Movie
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2006, 06:09 »

I'll elaborate cause I know exactly what he's talking about.  Its not hard to make a Doom movie, you get a guy (I guess for a proper movie you'd need to give him a proper team and have dialogue but meh) who walks around and shoots demons.  Not biological expiriments and a terrible scheme about DNA somehow controlling good or evil.  

Beyond that, the only gun that was featured that is from the game is the BFG, and last I checked, if we're going by original Doom, is very large, silvery, and has a huge charge time before firing a large green ball of massive AoE death.

Beyond that, the imps ran around being sneaky.  Thats not Doom either.  The movie was a Resident Evil clone, pure and simple.  Except Resident Evil was good.

How can you take Hell (a very important and integral feature) out of Doom?  Thats weak.  Straight up, its weak.  The movie is Doom in name only.  Its like making a StarCraft movie and putting zombies and crazed humans in place of the Zerg and Protoss.

However, I will give them points, the pinkie looked damn good.  They did that right, what I saw of the imps when they weren't being pussies looked very good as well.  I can handle the BFG not being perfect, but still, its not hard to do.  I wouldn't hate it so much if it weren't called Doom, because its not Doom.  Its a thing of principle you know?

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Doom the Movie
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2006, 16:55 »

I'll state myself clear.

The beauty of Doom, in my humble opinion, is the struggle of a single soldier against the unundestandable, and unimaginable forces of hell. It's the war between humans, and something that is beyond our imagination. It's the feeling of hopelessness, when the soldier understands that he is "on the shores of Hell, and the only way out is through". It's the feeling of complete loneliness, and the feeling of complete resignation. The wierd war between one man, and something he never thought could exist. It's something magical, uncomprehensible, unknown. It's like the old stories of Howard Phillip Lovecraft, where the puny little humans battle against the illogical cosmic forces of the Old Ones.

It's not only a bloodbath. It's a story about sanity.

Doom the movie has none of it. Absolutely none. So for me, Doom the movie, is another Aliens movie, with known actors starring as the Aliens. But there is no Doom there.

Consider the name Doom itself. Doom is named Doom, becase of the feeling that the world is Doomed. Where's that feeling in the movie?

Needles to say, that's also the reason I dislike Doom 3. It lost that feeling of a world beyond mortal comprehension, it lost the feeling of total doom...
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Santiago Zapata

• Temple Guardian
  • Backer
  • First Lieutenant
  • Roguelike Developer
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
Doom the Movie
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2006, 19:05 »

I was pissed off by the movie almost as much as I was with Final Fantasy The Spirits Within...

Doing a movie that pays homage to a saga such as Doom is a hard thing, but I wonder why dont they just *ask fans* what they'd like to see? what is *Doom* for them, what universe they do perceive?

It is like the plot designer never played Doom, or wasnt given enough freedom to do what he wanted... a movie like this *has to* satisfy the fan base, even if people that dont know the game reject the movie because -it looks too much like a video game- or anything.... in the end, for them, it is just another crappy action movie, but for us it is a lost oportunity.

Just hope they dont screw up with the castlevania one that is coming soon :'(   (And it seems they will... I have been told the director is the same of Alien vs Predator... somebody shoot me..)
Slash (Castlevania, Metroid, Drash, ZeldaRL)
Temple of The Roguelike
Slashie.net

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Doom the Movie
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2006, 19:16 »

somebody shoot me..

Anubis pulls out the combat shotgun.
Anubis pumps a shell into the chamber.
Anubis fires!
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Doom the Movie
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2006, 18:14 »

That post 3 posts up was really..really..good.

I fully agree with that one.

--

(And it seems they will... I have been told the director is the same of Alien vs Predator... somebody shoot me..)

Kornel allready did it, But it seems there is still life..

Now where did I put my BFG?

--

On the subject of game-to-movies, It seems that Peter Jackson (Dir. LOTR, King Kong) is doing the Halo movie..

I wonder how that one will turn out, Perhaps the dissapointment of DOOM the movie will jade moviegoers a bit..

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Doom the Movie
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2006, 07:57 »

Quoting: Anticheese
On the subject of game-to-movies, It seems that Peter Jackson (Dir. LOTR, King Kong) is doing the Halo movie..

Although he did a great Return of the King, the other two LotR adaptations were average. And te King Kong movie was a piece of shit. So I guess that's still a matter of chance.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Obscillesk

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Doom the Movie
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2006, 15:25 »

King Kong had its moments, I could watch a giant ape fight t-rexes all day myself.  Not much for the storyline though

And yeah, Kornel's post is a lot more epic than mine on why the Doom movie wasn't Doom, good response

RickVoid

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Doom the Movie
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2006, 00:02 »

Video game to movie transitions have always been disapointing to me.
EX:
Mario Brothers -> Super Mario Brothers the Movie *Shudders*
Resident Evil -> Resident Evil the Movie (Which wasn't that bad, but I didn't really feel it.)
Doom -> Doom the Movie (All I've seen is the prievues, and they made me want to cry...)

There's another one coming out soon, but I can't remember which game series it's based off. But it did look good.

Currently waiting for Metroid: The Movie, where Samus has to save the Mushroom Kingdom with her powersuit conspicuously absent (replaced by strategically placed ribbons) while she comes to grips with her own sexuality. (Hint: She likes boobies!)
:X
Campbell: Snake, press the action button.
Snake: ... What?
Campbell: The action button, on the control pad.
Snake: What!?

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Doom the Movie
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2006, 00:09 »

What about Mortal Kombat? :-P
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All