Chaosforge Forum

• April 23, 2024, 22:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: changes to challanges  (Read 4230 times)

kingwesleyr

• Private FC
  • Death himself
    • View Profile
changes to challanges
« on: July 17, 2010, 03:31 »

hello all
I have had some ideas of what could be changed

hell arena;
at the end when u have killed everthing, u get plasma cells, rockets and a rocket lanucher and a suppercharge.
What is the point of getting plasma cells when tehre are no weapons to use them till a lot later on in the game, it is pointless, i think that the desingers and programmes should change this to one of the folling options
a) get the plasma rifle or BGF
or
b.) change the plasma cells to rockets

hope vote above your opion and rile
regards
Kingwesleyr
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 03:40 by kingwesleyr »

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
Re: changes to challanges
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 13:42 »

Oh wow. I'm sorry but, that looks like one of the worst suggestions I ever saw.

What is the point of getting plasma cells when tehre are no weapons to use them till a lot later on in the game, it is pointless
No it's not. Plasma cells are quite rare; if you plan to use plasma rifle a lot near the end of the game, this occasion is perfect to save some for later. Indeed it takes some inventory space, but that's just something you got to accept (if you do, you'll have sufficient ammo for powerful weapons later on anyway).

a) get the plasma rifle or BGF
That early? No. That would be a bit *too* friendly, wouldn't it? :P

b.) change the plasma cells to rockets
No. The amount of rockets you get in reward is just fine.
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Garlyle

• Lance Corporal
  • Former Human Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 20:40 »

Yeah, getting energy cells and rockets this early is its own reward, even if you might not necessarily have something to use them with just yet in the former's case.  I've had a few times where I've found plasma weapons well before finding any actual ammo for them, so stocking up on them there and in the Chained Court is something I've taken to doing whenever I can.
0.9.9.7 Stats: [7 M / 17 S / 4 A] - [10 / 2 / 2 / 0 / 0 / 0]

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 22:35 »

I would suggest just thinking for a moment about the original Doom. You were often rewarded for exploring areas and killing baddies with ammunition that you couldn't use yet. It would piss me off a little bit, but you sure were happy about it when you finally got your hands on a powerful weapon and you could lay waste to things for more than 1 clip's worth.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Angles of death

• Second Lieutenant
  • HOLD. DEVILS. POT OF TEA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 01:30 »

I do like the current rewards but Hells Arena is an absouloute bitch at times (57%) I think you should get a double shotgun and some shotty shells (about 50)and maybe something else on nightmare (Hells Arena is almost impossible on nightmare so it should be more friendly with rewards but not too friendly)
...........A...A....M...A.....V
......V.............@......A..>
........V....V..C....B....B..A
Take a look to the sky just before you die it's the last time he will!!!

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 23:59 »

I do like the current rewards but Hells Arena is an absouloute bitch at times (57%) I think you should get a double shotgun and some shotty shells (about 50)and maybe something else on nightmare (Hells Arena is almost impossible on nightmare so it should be more friendly with rewards but not too friendly)

Than play Angel of Shotgunnery
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

kingwesleyr

• Private FC
  • Death himself
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 10:04 »

Oh wow. I'm sorry but, that looks like one of the worst suggestions I ever saw.
isn't that just a tad bit harsh okay
i see what u guys mean now, i just thought that it was point less when i frist played and now i understand
they are both rare and useful so i now under stand the use

kingwesleyr

• Private FC
  • Death himself
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 10:07 »

also i agree with that
maybe a chancce for a rare but not too powerful weapon

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
Changes to Special Levels
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 14:52 »

Since this is a discussion of special level changes, I have some suggestions for different rewards and items and such. A lot of special levels on Nightmare! are not well-scaled by comparison of their UV (or easier) counterparts. These include:

- Hell's Arena needs a N! buff, potentially even between waves. Putting a couple small med-packs or a large med-pack after the first and second waves would certainly improve survivability, and a plasma rifle would be useful at the end. Honestly? You usually find a commando by level five or six in N!: this isn't any better than getting rockets so early on any other difficulty.
- For The Wall, either buff the BackPack to count 200% for capacity instead of 140% or make the weapon a Railgun or similar unique (maybe a new one altogether). You can't complain unless you've actually successfully completed N! The Wall.
- Hell's Armory should have a guaranteed exotic/unique weapon on the other side, simple enough.
- I don't think a Bruiser Brother (just one, not two) at the other side of the Halls of Carnage is unfair. The level is rather easy in comparison to the other levels, and the BFG is a huge lifesaver in N!.
- Hellgate should place Supercharge Globes in the entrance instead of Large Healing Globes. Those of you who deal with N! Hellgate know why this is vital and not overkill, and why phase devices are practically staples on most challenges.
- The Vaults should have two/three special items, whether they be exotic or unique. If you want to prevent possible abuse, force two of them to be in the central vault.
- Monsters should not continue to respawn after completing the Mortuary. This relates to the bug Styro submitted, and it's kind of a dick-move in a level that you have supposedly "cleansed".
- Lava Pits should have a guaranteed set of phaseshift or gothic equipment on the other side. It's mostly for coolness, and that late you can either beat Cybie or you can't, may as well have a nice gift in there.
- Do something cool for Phobos Arena, maybe put a bunch of Lost Souls in there like the original Tower of Babel (first encounter in DooM with the Cyberdemon).

Everything easier than N! is pretty balanced, other than (perhaps) The Vaults, which are barely worth going to on HNTR. Hell's Arena is a fair reward once you realize that beating it is pretty darn easy, though I wouldn't be against revising benefits for other challenges:

- AoMr: N! gives blaster, no mod.
- AoSg: N! gives super shotgun instead of double shotgun.
- AoLT: Protective boots, no cells; N! gives BackPack, no rocket launcher.
- AoPu: Three large med-packs total, remove SuperCharge Globe.
- AoMs: Red armor instead of blue armor.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

UltimateChaos

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Arch-Vile Mjr. General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 18:27 »

I definitely agree about stepping up the rewards on higher difficulties of certain special levels, and with most of what Game Hunter posted.  As to specifics...

-Hell's Arena on N! *is* a platinum badge, and ought to be incredibly difficult.  On a standard game, I won't even enter it without a combat shotty, and I'd rather have some kind of powerup and chaingun to boot.  (Chain gun is pretty much guaranteed on N! by the time this level generates... even on UV.)  That being said, I think a plasma rifle should spawn instead of the chaingun.  Not sure about a medpack or two, but both would give incentive to move around instead of just spamming shotgun shells from behind a pillar.

Awards:
AoB:  A random weapon of the melee variety, heheheh.  Seeing as how it's the most difficult challenge mode to defeat the Arena on, it seems only fitting the award be good as well.  Chainsaw, butcher's cleaver, or perhaps DS can be generated!  (Hehehe, imagine the rage at getting the chainsaw generated or maybe even a combat knife o_O.  Okay, maybe rule out the combat knife and just stick with a Cleaver.)

AoMr:  A blaster would be a heavensend, although perhaps a bit OP?  Granted this challenge is next to impossible, but I would fall in love with the idea of a random exo/uni pistol.  One of the main challenges of a pistol game is feeding that ammo consumption rate, after all.  Since the normal Arena rewards and the AoB rewards both serve to help gain access to the Wall, perhaps an Anti-Freak Jackal (which ought to be an exotic imo) could be awarded?

AoSg:  An easier Hell's Arena challenge, I would also like the idea of a random unique/exo shotty.  Double shotty at this stage is a decent reward, but maybe drop a power mod as well on N! ?  Even though these are difficult levels, I'm sure dropping uni/exo gear at such a low level would cause balance issues.  That said, would certainly be nice, if perhaps a bit OP.

AoPu:  I love the idea for tailored rewards for these challenges, would give actual non-exp incentive to enter.  Definitely ought to replace the supercharge globe with some med kits, since AoSg and AoMr tailor their awards for their specific challenges respectively.

AoLT:  Curious why you'd replace the cells with boots, it's a strong assumption that boots are better suited to AoLT game.  Backpack would be nice on N! of course, but you can already get it at the wall.  One of the main reasons I always try to clear Arena no matter the difficulty is so I can get enough rockets to comfortably blaze through The Wall and go for that backpack and Missile launcher.

-The Wall has the best rewards out of all the special levels imo, given the stage at when you come across it.  The backpack is a great space saver and the missile launcher is one of my most favorite weapons in the game.  Just as useful on N!, don't see why that would need changing.

-Hell's Armory should *absolutely* have a guaranteed exotic/unique on the other side.  It doesn't even guarantee that it fits a current build, but compared to the other nearby special levels the rewards are kind of week, although the mods are nice.  It also doesn't make a lot of sense, here are all these soldiers carrying around plasma rifles and chainguns, and they are guarding a storage of 4 shotgun/pistol etc. >.<

-Halls of Carnage has more health than is really needed imo, although a bit more difficult on N!.  A bruiser brother at the end wouldn't really make story sense, but wouldn't be a bad buff to the level.  Although if you aren't corner shooting, the current enemies are already formidable.

-Hellgate.  Heh.  On N!, fun stuff.  A supercharge globe would be fantastic, but the two large healing globes encourages you to run away to hide in the little room from Hell, giving you that choice of turning back or pressing forward after the first wave of monsters come.  Good stuff as is.  (Yes, Hellgate on N! is a nightmare, but aptly so.)

-Vaults  I absolutely agree.  Having Vaults with no exotic or unique items generated is just silly.  Clearing them is enough of a pain and requires a solid marine that having one or two random uniques or exotics won't make a game breaking difference that deep in Hell.  It seems like the Vault awards have gotten toned down recently, after entry into the vaults becomes more and more public knowledge.

-Clearing special levels on N!.  After a special level has been cleared, it should stay cleared, this seems fair enough.  "Bringing Peace back to this evil place" followed by being assaulted by Barons of Hell doesn't seem to make much sense.

-Lava Pits.  I agree that there should be a good chance of spawning at least one piece from the Gothic/Phase set, seeing as how they are almost impossible to compete in any given game.  So having one piece of gothic or phase set would increase incentive to tackle this difficult and otherwise unrewarding level.

One issue with a lot of these suggestions is that it only serves to make N! easier, when the direction we are headed in is making N! harder.  I agree that some rewards need to be scaled, but it's going to be tricky to scale appropriately without overdoing it. 
[22/22/19/7/3]
Just completed Strongman Gold ^_^

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 20:26 »

-The Wall has the best rewards out of all the special levels imo, given the stage at when you come across it.  The backpack is a great space saver and the missile launcher is one of my most favorite weapons in the game.  Just as useful on N!, don't see why that would need changing.
I suppose I haven't given The Wall much respect in my more recent runs through the game, as it's placed in that awkward mid-game where you've already managed to break free of the early-game problems but want to hold onto your lead heading into the post-Hellgate problems. As a result, I usually don't risk it, but when you put it that way, I agree that it's not all that difficult of a level. On the other hand, the potential respawning of Arch-viles really makes me want to think that there should be a little something extra to make it worth using ALL of your ammo.

I noticed that you cleaned it out in your last run, although that was a AoMC/MAc run, so I can't exactly say it's a good hypothesis-builder. If you have other mortems of N! The Wall completion, it would give me reason to believe that it's a good risk.

-Hellgate.  Heh.  On N!, fun stuff.  A supercharge globe would be fantastic, but the two large healing globes encourages you to run away to hide in the little room from Hell, giving you that choice of turning back or pressing forward after the first wave of monsters come.  Good stuff as is.  (Yes, Hellgate on N! is a nightmare, but aptly so.)
Most challenge modes have severe problems coming into Hellgate N!. AoMr/AoSg/AoB/AoP can't remove walls, AoI can't phase, AoPu can't make use of the globes anyway, and AoMs is probably screwed without phases. A standard game doesn't have the SAME problems, but I think tailoring a little to the needs of some of the challenge modes wouldn't hurt the the extreme difficulty anyway (half the hard part is getting out of the first wave's crunch).

-Clearing special levels on N!.  After a special level has been cleared, it should stay cleared, this seems fair enough.  "Bringing Peace back to this evil place" followed by being assaulted by Barons of Hell doesn't seem to make much sense.
This appears to be true in Hell's Arena from based on a couple of my own completions in there, but I can't say I've done extensive testing. Mortuary, on the other hand, continues to respawn after completion (there's a bug about it). Can't say about the rest, but the idea has definite merit.

One issue with a lot of these suggestions is that it only serves to make N! easier, when the direction we are headed in is making N! harder.  I agree that some rewards need to be scaled, but it's going to be tricky to scale appropriately without overdoing it.
With the speed increase in 0.9.9.1, N! has become really, really hard. I don't think it's unfair to provide some powerful bonuses for people who actually take the time to complete some of the ridiculously hard special levels, when those Phobos Hell levels can kill you with one false step. The name of the game is know-how, and the better weapons and equipment only make the game faster, not easier.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

UltimateChaos

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Arch-Vile Mjr. General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 01:50 »

Definitely agree with a lot of your points.  As to specific responses

The Wall -
I've cleared the wall on N! a time or two, but under the influence of invulnerability and berserk.  If you manage to gib some enemies, you're off to a good start, several people have suggested spacing out the barons and knights on UV.  All in all, still quite difficult and may not be worth the rewards, but same can generally be said for Hell's Arena.  If you can think of an extra reward for N! though, I'm all ears.

Hellgate - I see what you mean.   To be honest though, any N! run I can think of, and even a lot of UV runs where I can't break walls have just been a mad dash through the entire level.  I'm all for replacing the large health globes on AoP with large medkits, for example, or at the very least small ones.  Same can be said for The Hall of Carnage, replacing the supercharge globes there with large medkits.  Generally, small medkits in place of large health/berserk and large medkit where supercharge globes are in special levels.  Back to HellGate, replacing those large healing globes with one supercharge is also an idea.  How were you thinking of tailoring it?

Clearing Special levels on N! -

I'm pretty sure the bugs with level clearing are also linked to the problem with getting the Conqueror medal.  Oh well.

N! difficulty -

Yeah, the difficulty of N! has gotten SEVERELY increased.  The speed increase is definitely a cool (if not painfully frustrating) idea, but let's face it, N! was already a nightmare before.  Balancing it out with some benefits, if even with increased exo/unique generation or special level rewards (since most special level rewards are stupidly obselete on N! anyway) would even things out.  I've had a few AoRA and AoSg runs blessed with an early assault shotgun and it didn't seem to make much of a difference in how long I lived.

Mortuary -

Does it seem silly to anybody else that an assault shotgun is offered in the mortuary?  It's a pretty wimpy weapon so late, not ground breaking by any standards.  A plasma shotgun would be better imo, and maybe an assault shotty could be an award in N! for hell's arena or placed elsewhere.  Maybe have it replace the BFG in AoSg runs in special levels?  I'd clear Halls of Carnage or City of Skulls for an assault shotgun on AoSg.
[22/22/19/7/3]
Just completed Strongman Gold ^_^
Pages: [1]