Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 07:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Long Goodbye - CthulhuTech PBF- IC  (Read 22857 times)

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
Re: Long Goodbye - CthulhuTech PBF- IC
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2010, 13:34 »

'Mhm' she muttered with a shrug, snatched a cigarette from a pocket, lighting it with but a touch of fingertip. As every White, she was a parapsychic and she was not even trying to hide that. 'I guess someone will see into this... And please' she added, pointing the smoke towards Razziny 'keep your jokes to yourself. They are kind of path...'

'Ketry!' sharp, loud voice interrupted her speech. You turned your heads towards it's source, to see a short, burly man, wearing this same uniform as the xenomix, with additional patched that identified him as a Chief Engineer of the outpost, emerging from one of the hangar storerooms. You all knew him, of course, and as hard as it was to believe, he was the father of the White, despite showing no similarities whatsoever to his daughter. 'Sorry for her again' he said, glaring angrily at Ketry. 'Anyway, you are to report to the Old Man for debriefing, ASAP.'

The Old Man was, of course, Major Alexander Sully, commander of the outpost, and your direct superior.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 18:13 by Gargulec »
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.

Xander Morhaime

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Colonel
  • Boot to the head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2010, 09:10 »

"Right... let's not keep the chief waiting," Kroenen said with a shrug. "Let's go."
12. A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

Gargulec

• Local Inquisitor
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2010, 14:14 »

Sadly, all your possible conversations on the way to the Old Man's office were rendered impossible by thunderous roar of large aircraft taking off from the outpost landing pad. Thankfully, judging by the huge pile of boxes it left, it brought only supplies, not additional wounded for the hospital.

Ah, yes. The hospital. If there was anything remarkable about Karki Outpost, it was the hospital. Huge, slightly imposing structure, with thick walls and small windows looked like a futuristic version of the Bedlam House. You know more than one person in the base that was personally crept by this building, even knowing that it is certainly one of the safest places in the region.

One thing puzzled you as were strolling through the base. Everyone you have passed by- a fellow pilot and a few ordinary grunts appeared to be greatly disturbed or unsettled by something. You had no time to inquire, but it could not be a good sign.

Poor, Unfortunate Soul

The interior of Alexander Sully office was rather bare and unremarkable- epitome of the base. Desk with a rack for data crystals, a shelf with a few personal items- old holos, an old-fashioned photo, a medal which you did not recognize. Nothing special.

The Old Man, however, was all but bare and unremarkable. Tall and muscular still appeared like he could bend steel rods with his bare hands, despite his advanced age. He glanced at you, smiled, and showed you to sit down.

'Well' he spoke, his voice more than a little bit husky. 'There quite a bit going on here now. I guess you noticed already. Anyway, first things first: report. I want to hear it, before we proceed.'
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 18:12 by Gargulec »

Xander Morhaime

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Colonel
  • Boot to the head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2010, 18:19 »

Kroenen saluted first, out of formality, then gave a light shrug. "Not much to report, sir. Majority of the patrol went quietly, no enemy contact. On the final leg, lieutenant Hertz picked up some disturbance and we diverted off course to investigate. Ran into an ECM field, scrambled our comms and sensors... Faust managed to spot the source regardless and take it out. Engagement with 1 scoutbug and three locust-class bugs followed, during which all enemy units were rendered inoperable, with no damage to our own unit. After the engagement and a final sweep of the area we returned to the patrol route and to base. Sir."

"So what's going on, Alex? You've usually got things here in Ordnung, but today everyone looks like there's going to be an inspection from high command or something..."
12. A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

Gargulec

• Local Inquisitor
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2010, 11:12 »

Alex frowned before replying, and grabbed a glass of water, chucking some sort of tablet into it. The liquid begun to hiss and bubble.

'Let just say' he said, taking a sip 'that I have small pile of good news, and a huge mountain of bad ones... The good ones are connected to your flawless victory. Two hours ago, I received a report that our air forces three hundreds clicks to the east intercepted and eliminated a migou flight bearing our way- given that it had an empty transporter among them, it seems logical that they were trying to pick up the machines you have busted, so it looks like it was a deep reconnaissance op after all, and we do not have to fear being attacked any time soon... Furthermore, migou are withdrawing in Easter Europe, even giving up ground. Intel says that they trying to hold back Rapine Storm from wrecking them in Asia, and transfer some forces from less prolific fronts, giving us more space to breathe. So, the outpost, the region, and, by extension, we, are safe. For now, at least.'

'As for the bad news... Well. First of all, we had another civvie from hospital personnel disappear during the leave in the city. Secondly, there are more and more reports of shoot-outs in the city at night, but again, despite the fact that we have no idea how is wasting who, this is not really our problem.'

He stood up from behind the desk, and gestured towards you.

'Follow me, you gotta see something.'

He led you outside the office, to the main control and security building, and then, taking a stairs down, to the underground section of the base. He remained silent on his way there.

Finally, you arrived at small door. Alex entered a long code on the keypad, and the door swung open, revealing what appeared to be an interrogation room of some sorts. You had no idea it was even there. From what you could see through the window (two-way mirror, without a doubt), there were three people inside. Two of them were probably grunts, clad in combat armour and armed with assault rifles... The third, sitting on a lone chair, with her hand and legs shackled, was a Nazzadi women. She seemed somehow familiar... Then, she raised her head, and you instantly recognized her. She was a fellow mecha pilot, from the other mecha squad in the outpost. You could not quite remember her name, though... As far as you could remember, she joined the forces not long ago... month maybe?Or two? Anyway, from what you have she was really well liked by her squad.

Alex sighed.

'I had her arrested this morning, after routine search in her quarters turned out that she was in possession of uncensored copies of "Book of Five Shadows" and "Breath of R'lyeh".'

He sighed again.

'This alone would a very bad sign, and good reason for entire outpost to become nervous- finding an unregistered, illegal sorcerer among the pilots is never a good sign, right? But it is far worse, this whole case really stinks... You see, yesterday, I have received an anonymous denunciation that this Kiy here is harbouring illegal tomes and dabbling in forbidden arts. And someone really did his best to make this information remain anonymous, there is no way to track it to it's source. Suspicious, right? But I had to conduct a search, just in case. Furthermore, Kiy is claiming that she has never seen this books before. Of course, I know that every single sorcerer would do the same in her situation, but somehow I find it hard to believe that a pilot fresh out of academy is also an adept of forbidden art skilled enough to actually utilize contents of this books. The tomes we found are really advanced, containing a knowledge which mere comprehending would require and iron mind and iron will. And it does not appear that the girls has any of above. But again, we have found them in her quarters, and this means that we should hand her over to OIS, to determine if she is even mortal any more...'

He paused, and took a long look at the girl. She was literally shaking and sobbing, and you could not say if it was fear, anger or both.

'I served in OIS for a good few years. And I know that if she will be taken into one of their facilities, it will mean a great, great suffering for her, even if she is actually innocent. And even if they prove it... Her career in the Army will be wasted, and I am afraid that her entire life will get ruined as well. I have seen such situations before, a few times too many, if you ask me. And if she really is innocent, someone must have framed her, right? And that would mean that we have someone pursuing his own agenda here, and God knows what will it bring.'

He turned towards you.

'Tell me, would you do an old man a final favour?'

Xander Morhaime

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Colonel
  • Boot to the head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2010, 14:11 »

Kroenen watched the prisoner with hardly any hint of emotion on his face before shaking his head, muttering, "Du sollst nicht andere Götter haben neben mir," under his breath before turning to the commander. "Best not take any chances with sorcery. We've enough trouble on our hands as is," he said calmly.

"Not that I particularly trust a source that insists on remaining untraceable," he added after a few moments' thought.

"What's the favour then, Alex? I hope you're not going to ask us to track down this anonymous tip - we're mech pilots, not investigators..."

Gargulec

• Local Inquisitor
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2010, 15:13 »

Alex shrugged. He looked troubled... older than he was.

'No, not...' he begun, before suddenly pausing for a few long moments.

'The tip is being investigated at this moment. But, yes, I'd like you to check something too... I have severe shortage of trustable man these days, friends...'

'You see, this girl may or may not be a dabbler... But the real danger lies in the books. Those tomes contain knowledge how to summon thing better left undescribed. And they are not fakes. That means that somebody in the city... in this den has access to lore that is more dangerous than any mecha could ever be. Worse yet, somehow, he... they? managed to smuggle them into my base. And this is really, really bad.'

Again a pause, followed by what appeared to be complete change of topic.

'Tell me, would you like to get a short leave? To get a little R&R outside the walls?'

That was not the Alex you remembered- straightforward, self-reliant men. Either something changed him, or he needed your help desperately.

S.K. Ren

• DiabloRL Beta Tester
  • Sergeant
  • You can hide... until there's nowhere left to run
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2010, 18:32 »

Asura had stayed towards the back of the room -disinterested- for most of the conversation. However at this latest comment his interest piqued.
  "I think the Major is right about this. I couldn't care less for someone caught with illegal possessions, intentional or staged. But if someone has tha ability to smuggle such goods without being detected, we have a serious problem."
(6:50:00 AM) Simon-v: How do you live in a world where Everything's Trying To Kill You?
(6:50:23 AM) xander_morhaime: Briefly.

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2010, 03:46 »

Zariny was about to yawn from boredom. Cults, secret tomes... Yes, they can summon something awful, but will we care about it? There are people who would care about it. If no, then she would probable be dead. Anyway, it's not her problems. But when Major said about going out and doing something different from boring walking around, all of her boredom was wiped out.

"That is going to be different from those boring patrols, right? Then I'm surely for the trip." - added Raziny.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

Xander Morhaime

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Colonel
  • Boot to the head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2010, 06:40 »

Kroenen swore quietly under his breath, shaking his head. "Rookie, the way this'll be different from patrols is that if things turn interesting, we're not going to have our mechs between us and incoming enemy fire," he pointed out without trying to hide the disapproval in his voice.

That said, he turned back to the commander. "Alex, we're pilots, not special forces. The only way we'd have of actually interfering with something like this without our mechs would be if whoever's pushing those books has no clue how to use them and no significant security forces. Bad habit to go into a fight assuming the opposition to be incompetent. Besides, I don't think Faust will appreciate the downtime..."

Gargulec

• Local Inquisitor
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2010, 15:36 »

Alex tried to smile, but he only managed to give you some sort of a... grimace, for the lack of the better word.

'I don't need any special forces for the thing I want you to do' he muttered. 'Besides- you are the only trusted personnel I have, and the thing is kind of, well, urgent- and as I said before, I don't want to contact OIS just now.'

He led you out of the interrogation room, back into the brightly lit, empty corridor. It did not escape your attention that there was no cameras or other surveillance device here- it was quite odd, considering the purpose of this section of the base.

'See, when this outpost was established, with a great effort, I managed to...' he paused, suddenly. 'Well, I just hope that this conversation will never reach outside of this walls, for what I have done may be considered a transgression of the law. I contacted and struck a deal with head honcho of the local Arcane Underground. He promised to keep an eye for anything really dangerous- like those books, if I did not interfere with his businesses. It worked- until now, that is. I contacted him few hours ago, and he agreed to meet with "someone trusted" in the city. Myself, I can't go, I can't leave my post. But you? You can get short leave for today's evening, go and see the man, and give me any information he gives you. Such books appearing on the market could not escape his notice- so it is likely that he will now the seller, or, better yet, a buyer.'

He shrugged.

'It should not be any dangerous. I know this man, he is sensible, he knows that if anything happens to you, I have his name, and I will unleash same on him sevenfold.'

Xander Morhaime

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Colonel
  • Boot to the head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2010, 16:10 »

"Vengeance is scant comfort to dead men," Kroenen pointed out soberly. "I don't like these secret dealings and arcane mysteries. For old times' sake, though... I suppose I can go meet with this contact of yours. If it goes sour, though, I am coming back to haunt you."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]