Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 08:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: C.H.P.U. - Chaosforge Hackmaster Players United  (Read 5578 times)

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
C.H.P.U. - Chaosforge Hackmaster Players United
« on: July 28, 2010, 14:05 »

I'm posting this thread so that players interested in playing some Hackmaster - which is currently me, Tavana and SKRen - can organize some things. For anyone who stumbles upon this and wonders what the hell Hackmaster is:

Hackmaster is an AD&D spinoff. It started off as a parody of D&D used in Knights of the Dinner Table comic. Some time afterwards creators of the comic managed to acquire license from Wizards of the Coast and created actual game under the name. The system is essentially AD&D 1e/2e with some interesting additions (like Honor system), good deal of humor and leads itself nicely to old-school(ish) gameplay of "go to the dungeon, kill monsters, take their stuff" (though it can be used for more... ah... elaborate adventures - as always it's up to DM)

There. That being explained some points up for discussion:

1) GMing - the current idea is of having GMs do short-to-medium length adventures/dungeon crawls in rotation so that everyone gets to act as player a bit. Tavana agreed to the idea, so currently it looks like me and him will be swapping places, though if someone else wants to step into the rotations (*looks at SKRen*) then it's good - the more the merrier.

2) Character stats - 3d6 in order stat rolling is a harsh mistress. We could do what HM promotes and "let the dice fall where they may" or alternatively we could try the following (my idea): give everyone ability to roll three times for stats BUT have the last roll taken stand (i.e. I'm rolling stats. First set is crap, second one is average... I risk rolling third set and get crap rolls = I'm stuck with them, at least until my character dies)

3) Definition of "session" - while reading through rules I noticed a few things ("mulligans", some e.p. awards) that are timed "once per session". Since in PBF you can't really measure these I have three proposals how to handle it:
- Such things are checked once per week flat
- Such things are checked after current adventure ends
- As above + also checked every time party bails out of dungeon or wherever they are and gets back to nearest safespot to rest and restock

That's all at the moment :P
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
Re: C.H.P.U. - Chaosforge Hackmaster Players United
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 15:14 »

Me, me wants to AD&D !

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 16:17 »

Ah, such fun rules. It's not so much AD&D as "OMGWTFBBQD&D".
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 04:46 »

I maybe will possibly act if I will be able to find the rulebook. I like whensome boring stuff is spiced up with humor.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 05:49 »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT : Never mind, got already. Thanks for your attention.

Aerdan

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Winter Knight
    • View Profile
    • Inari
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 09:04 »

Hell, I'm in. I miss AD&D 2e...
A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. -- Engineer's motto.
Pages: [1]