Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 15:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: .exe file  (Read 5568 times)

NbnessRL

• Private FC
  • Guy
    • View Profile
.exe file
« on: July 31, 2010, 00:05 »

I am confused and have never even approached something as confusing as a .exe file in word pad... I cant understand anything its trying to say and I am wanting to try to program a shop into my custom version of Rouge but I cant figure out what the .exe means!!! Help please!
Code: [Select]
\\Little bit of stuff that confuses me...
s Ñæ.ÿ¤ž‘ƒÄ]ÃUƒì‹ì¸
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 00:17 by NbnessRL »

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Re: .exe file
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 00:17 »

Firstly, calm down.  Next, reorganise what you want to say, because I just looked at that mess of words and have no idea what you are saying.  Thirdly, if you are mixing memes, it's not working and I'm confused -- I seriously think those that may help you might be facing the same problems.
I computed, therefore I was.

NbnessRL

• Private FC
  • Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 00:20 »

Firstly, calm down.  Next, reorganise what you want to say, because I just looked at that mess of words and have no idea what you are saying.  Thirdly, if you are mixing memes, it's not working and I'm confused -- I seriously think those that may help you might be facing the same problems.
I am calm but if you take word pad or note pad or something with text editing and you open a .exe file, a bunch of random characters pop up and I just dont get it...

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 00:25 »

You should not be opening any .exe files with wordpad, seriously.

Are you even sure you know what you want to do here?  Have you done any programming before?
I computed, therefore I was.

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 00:36 »

Editting and creation of .exe files is done in wordpad or notepad by some, but you need a compiler to turn your code into a file that can be excuted by the computer.

For clarification: the odd symbols you see are your text editor trying to figure out what the 0's and 1's of an executable file mean in text. It will fail, since they're not text.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 00:41 by Tavana »
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

NbnessRL

• Private FC
  • Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 00:43 »

Where can I get a compiler??? and what language compiler do I need?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 00:44 by NbnessRL »

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 00:57 »

You can find compilers all over the internet. First you need to chose a language to write with. Then you can chose a compiler that works with that language. To help you along a little bit, Diablorl, Aliensl, and Doomrl are all written in Free Pascal, using the Lazarus compiler.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 03:14 »

We use computer languages to communicate with our machines. They are divided into high and low level languages. High level languages are very abstract, let's say that easily understandable by humans. Such language is Java for example. Here you have an example of a program that writes 99 beers of bottle http://99-bottles-of-beer.net/language-java-4.html

There are also low level languages. These are closer to the machine. Probably the lowest and most useful is assembly. Here you have an example program just as above but written in assembly http://99-bottles-of-beer.net/language-assembler-1158.html

Please do not try to understand them, just take a look.

What you see in your notepad when opening an .exe file is a machine code. You see, machines only communicate with each other using '0' and '1'. The assembly language is translated into such machine code. You can use a disassembly language if you want, put your .exe file there and you will get a similar out put like the 99 bottles of beer program written in assembly [;

Understanding the .exe file is a waste of time (unless you are a hacker or have a REALLY good reason to). As a beginner, you should read .exe files, you will become schizophrenic.

If you want to start to program, I think you should start with this: http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 07:48 »

I heh'd when I read the first post. :P
.exe files are compiled for a reason :D
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!
Pages: [1]