Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 13:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [H|100%|AoPure|StWin|YAAM] Pure woman, pure awesome...  (Read 4149 times)

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile

--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (v.0.9.9.1) roguelike post-mortem character dump

Chaith*, level 11 Cacodemon Sergeant, defeated the Cyberdemon
 on level 25 of the Phobos base.
 She** survived 137733 turns and scored 161758 points.
 She played for 2 hours, 38 minutes and 58 seconds.
 She wasn't afraid to be hurt plenty.

She killed 653 out of 653 hellspawn. (100%)
 This ass-kicking marine killed all of them!
 She was an Angel of Purity!***

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

Medal of Prejudice
  Hell Champion Medal
  Inquisitor Bronze Badge
  Inquisitor Silver Badge

-- Graveyard -------------------------------------------------

###########################################################
  ............###........................###.........###.....
  ............###.............}|X........###.........#>#.....
  ....###.....###.............#|#........###.........###.....
  ....###...........###.......###............................
  ....###...........###.......###............................
  ..................###......................###...###.......
  ...........................................###...###.......
  ..........................###..............###...###.......
  ..........................###..............................
  ..........................###.......###....................
  ....................................###....................
  .....................###............###....................
  .....................###................................###
  .....................###................................###
  ........................................................###
  ###########################################################

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health 1/50****   Experience 58194/11
  ToHit Ranged +4  ToHit Melee +4  ToDmg Ranged +3  ToDmg Melee +3

-- Traits *5 ----------------------------------------------------

Finesse          (Level 2)
    Hellrunner       (Level 1)
    Tough as nails   (Level 3)
    Son of a bitch   (Level 3)
    Eagle Eye        (Level 2)

EE->EE->SoB->SoB->SoB->TaN->TaN->TaN->Fin->Fin->HR->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   modified onyx armor [4] (P)*6
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   modified plasma rifle (1d8)x6 [28/40] (P1)*6
    [c] [ Boots      ]   modified phaseshift boots [8/8] (86%) (P)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   Revenant's Launcher (7d6) [0/1]*6

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] modified chaingun (1d6)x4 [40/40] (A1)
    [b] 10mm ammo (x36)
    [c] rocket (x10)
    [d] rocket (x10)
    [e] rocket (x10)
    [f] rocket (x10)
    [g] rocket (x5)
    [h] power cell (x47)
    [i] power cell (x50)
    [j] power cell (x50)
    [k] power cell (x50)
    [l] power cell (x50)
    [m] power cell (x50)
    [n] envirosuit pack
    [o] envirosuit pack
    [p] thermonuclear bomb
    [q] agility mod pack

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

81 former humans*7
    81 former sergeants*7
    43 former captains
    111 imps
    64 demons
    118 lost souls
    29 cacodemons
    24 barons of hell*7
    1 Cyberdemon
    20 hell knights*7
    13 arachnotrons
    7 former commandos
    8 pain elementals
    10 arch-viles
    34 mancubi*7
    7 revenants
    2 bruiser brothers

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

She started her journey on the surface of Phobos.
  On level 3 she entered Hell's Arena.
  She left the Arena as a champion!
  On level 5 she stormed the Chained Court.
  On level 9 she found Hell's Armory.
  On level 15 she encoutered the Phobos Hellgate.
  On level 16 she found the Revenant's Launcher!
  On level 23 she entered the Lava Pits.
  She managed to clear the Lava Pits completely!
  Then at last she found Phobos Arena!
  On level 25 she finally defeated the Cyberdemon.

-- Messages --------------------------------------------------

Cyberdemon. The Cyberdemon hits you.
 Fire -- Choose target...   Boom! The missile hits the Cyberdemon. The
 missile hits the Cyberdemon. The missile hits the Cyberdemon. The
 Cyberdemon hits you.
 The Cyberdemon fires! You dodge! You hear an explosion!
 The Cyberdemon reloads his rocket launcher.
 You reload the plasma rifle with power cell.
 You stop running.
 Fire -- Choose target...   The missile hits the Cyberdemon. The missile
 hits the Cyberdemon. The missile hits the Cyberdemon. The missile
 hits the Cyberdemon. The missile hits the Cyberdemon. The missile hits the
 Cyberdemon. The Cyberdemon hits you.
 Fire -- Choose target...   The missile hits the Cyberdemon. The missile
 hits the Cyberdemon. The Cyberdemon dies. You feel relatively safe
 now. Congratulations! You defeated the Cyberdemon! Press <Enter>... Boom!

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

Before him 16 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
 15 of those were killed.

Some rumours though, say that the Cyberdemon was killed already!
 Is he immortal? 1 souls claim to have killed him...
 1 killed the bastard and survived.

* Ladies and gentlemen, meet Chaith, the world's first DoomGirl! That's right, folks, she a female marine! Now you might say, "blasphemy!", but I say, if she's got the moxie, a badass enough girl can weild a plasma rifle to just as much demon-melting effect as any "beserker packin' man and a half!" can!

** I've modified the mortem to display the correct gender... :)

*** Right now, I'm going through the challenge modes on HMP, seeing if I can't gather up all the bronze and silver medals for them. So far, though, I only have the silvers for this and shotgunnery...

**** Cybie came that bloody close to meleeing me to death, but ultimately that only served to make my victory all the sweeter for being so narrow... I somehow doubt that Chaith appreciated finding herself inside the Demios base with no medkits and only 2% health, however... In case you're wondering, I didn't have a BFG because I was at low health and with no medkits on the level on which the Halls decided to spawn and thus would've been unable to even get across the requisite four squares of lava (note that this was before I got the phaseshifts), even if not a single enemy in the Halls hit me, thus I was forced to skip it. The City of Skulls then decided not to spawn and left me BFGless and in a very tight spot when I entered level 25 with only a single large med-kit...

*5 A pretty ordinary and boring chain-gun build, except that, as you can see, I didn't get triggerhappy... This was an experiment to see wether it was worth losing the additional shots from the chaingun in exchange for wasting less ammo from superfluous plasma-rifle shots and getting TaN sooner. It actually worked surprisingly well...

*6 All three of these were helpful, but the first was an absolute godsend... It's really amazing what you can accomplish when you don't have to constantly worry about armour degredation, I can tell you... As for the other two items I've marked, well, I very much appreciated the Rev Launcher's extra damage and pin-point accuracy, while the additional speed and excellent lava protection offered by the modified phaseshifts, even if they did give me ocassional knockback problems, gave me a subtle but much needed advantage...

*7 Interestingly, we get a Hell of a lot of mancubi (who, by the way, couldn't seem to hit the broad-side of a barn and dealt little damage even when they did hit thanks to the Onyx armour and TaN) and the exact same number of humans and sergeants this game. We also still have the "problem" of there almost always seeming to be more barons than knights...

Overall, I reckon this was a solid, well-played run and one that was worth sharing... But what do you think?

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
Re: [H|100%|AoPure|StWin|YAAM] Pure woman, pure awesome...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 20:05 »

Right now, I'm going through the challenge modes on HMP, seeing if I can't gather up all the bronze and silver medals for them. So far, though, I only have the silvers for this and shotgunnery...
Have fun with that. Badge-wise, you'd be better off getting good enough until UV is enjoyably difficult, then work through the Golds there. I've only barely played HMP so I can't say much about how the scaling differs, but if you like it, by all means.

I somehow doubt that Chaith appreciated finding herself inside the Demios base with no medkits and only 2% health, however...
I'm confused here. According to your mortem, you had no "Entering level # (s)he was almost dead..." so you couldn't have gone into a floor with low health...unless it doesn't apply to Hellgate. (FYI, Hellgate is closer to Phobos Anamoly, E1M8.)

I didn't get triggerhappy... This was an experiment to see wether it was worth losing the additional shots from the chaingun in exchange for wasting less ammo from superfluous plasma-rifle shots and getting TaN sooner. It actually worked surprisingly well...
I'm not of a fan of TH (except as a means of procuring MAc or MCe) because, as you correctly point out, it can shoot out more ammo than you want it to. On MAc it doesn't matter because you'll never run out of ammo, but on most days I'd rather have to swap out for a combat or rocket launcher for my extra damage, instead of hoping that the extra ammo finishes the enemy off.

If I cared enough, I would probably do an analysis of the average # of plasma shots it takes to kill certain enemies and then decide, but I rarely play non-MAc rapid-fire anyway, so meh.

*7 Interestingly, we get a Hell of a lot of mancubi (who, by the way, couldn't seem to hit the broad-side of a barn and dealt little damage even when they did hit thanks to the Onyx armour and TaN)
Mancubi automatically fail at hitting you if you sidestep. This isn't to say that one of their side-hits doesn't hit anyway, but just saying.

Good run overall, HMP AoPu YAAM isn't an easy task. If you're looking for a good challenge mode to practice, AoMC offers possibilities through N! once you get good at it on easier difficulties. AoMr's a personal favorite of mine, while AoRA is pretty easy to handle using a shotgun build.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

UltimateChaos

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Arch-Vile Mjr. General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 20:47 »

Congrats, AoP is pure hell imo.  Then you had to go and get 100% off the top of that, very awesome.  Best of luck to you in your next game, you should try for UV!
[22/22/19/7/3]
Just completed Strongman Gold ^_^

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 03:06 »

I'm confused here. According to your mortem, you had no "Entering level # (s)he was almost dead..." so you couldn't have gone into a floor with low health...unless it doesn't apply to Hellgate. (FYI, Hellgate is closer to Phobos Anamoly, E1M8.)

Actually, I was referring to how the epilouge basically states, "You've cleared out the Phobos base, but now you've found the lost Deimos base and will have to fight through it too!" and how I was at 2% after killing Cybie. That being the case, I was merely sepculating that I doubt that Chaith would appreciate stumbling onto the Demios base (no doubt packed full of hellspawn) at 1 health and with no medkits... It's the roleplayer inside me that causes me to have such thoughts, you see...

Mancubi automatically fail at hitting you if you sidestep. This isn't to say that one of their side-hits doesn't hit anyway, but just saying.

Funilly enough, much of the time (particularly in the lava pits) I was just standing there and plugging away at them and they still seemed almost completely unable to hit me... Must've been because they were at maximum range I suppose...

Good run overall, HMP AoPu YAAM isn't an easy task.

Congrats, AoP is pure hell imo.  Then you had to go and get 100% off the top of that, very awesome.

Thanks guys, I appreciate that... :)

Really, once you've got your DoomRL basics down pat, winning games like this one tend to come down more to persistance than anything... That is, not getting discouraged after you come tantalisingly close to Cybie but ultimately die or suffer another embarrasing level 2 death because the RNG decided to have its way with you... I find that if you keep playing, games like this one will inevitably come up occasionally...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 03:11 by Captain Trek »

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 06:36 »

You do know that the Halls give you a Supercharge upon entry, right? Granted, I usually save that for the exit, but if you need the BFG that much, why wouldn't you?
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

UltimateChaos

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Arch-Vile Mjr. General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 08:02 »

On Angel of Purity, you're unable to swallow those delicious supercharge globes.  That came out a little wrong...

Anyway!  Yes, AoP is frustrating for many reasons, causing levels like Chained Court, Hell's Arena, and even The Wall (backpack is a powerup) to have diminished awards.
[22/22/19/7/3]
Just completed Strongman Gold ^_^

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 10:13 »

You do know that the Halls give you a Supercharge upon entry, right? Granted, I usually save that for the exit, but if you need the BFG that much, why wouldn't you?

On Angel of Purity, you're unable to swallow those delicious supercharge globes.  That came out a little wrong...
Yeah, what Chaos said, Tavana... :)

Anyway!  Yes, AoP is frustrating for many reasons, causing levels like Chained Court, Hell's Arena, and even The Wall (backpack is a powerup) to have diminished awards.

For that very reason, unless you've somehow managed to make yourself into an ultimate badass who can easily blow through the knights and barons with no trouble by the time you find the Wall, there's absolutely no reason at all to do it on AoP, something that, I think, should be addressed, with the rewards possibly chaging depending on challenge mode the way they do for Hell's Arena now (the Halls in particular come to mind)... If you want explorer and conquerer badges, you're probably better off getting them on a standard game.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 10:48 by Captain Trek »

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 16:17 »

Wow, somehow completely missed the AoPurity part of this thread. -.-
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.
Pages: [1]