Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 06:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A small idea - Gender selection  (Read 5470 times)

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
A small idea - Gender selection
« on: August 17, 2010, 05:30 »

This is a very minor and unimportant thing, but lately I've found myself naming some of my marines after female characters...

http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php/topic,3262.msg28563.html#new

...so I figured it might be a good idea for Kornel to allow the player to set the gender of their character before they start, just so the morten doesn't say "he" when the marine was supposed to be a girl.

Again, it's a minor thing, but I think it'd be nice... Let the shirtstorm surrounding whether or not female marines are "Doomish" enough for inclusion begin!

UltimateChaos

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Arch-Vile Mjr. General
    • View Profile
Re: A small idea - Gender selection
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 17:45 »

I'm absolutely for including female chars, but I'm sure many would be annoyed at the extra prompt. 
[22/22/19/7/3]
Just completed Strongman Gold ^_^

Fanta Hege

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Will it work? I HAVE NO IDEA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 17:59 »

I find it pretty pointless really and I'm sure there was a discussion about it some time ago where people also came to conclusion that its pointless. =/
But if you're all to this then add a option for androgynes aswell and have them refered as "e".
i dont even know anymore

UltimateChaos

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Arch-Vile Mjr. General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 18:44 »

Could always use statements such as "They were an ass-kicking marine!" or "On level 35 they stormed the gates of hell."  No reason to discourage female players!
[22/22/19/7/3]
Just completed Strongman Gold ^_^

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 20:12 »

*coughcoughundoomishcoughcough*

It's always been DoomGuy.  Not DoomGal, DoomPerson, but DoomGuy.  His face has always been rather masculine in all the Doom games.  Also, space marines, toughest sons-of-bitches there are -- inadvertently male in the storyline.

Perhaps your female marine has a badassness of 15.0 on a scale of 10.0 and so she's masculine?  >.<
I computed, therefore I was.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 20:31 »

If this belongs anywhere, it should go in the .ini file. Not too hard to change a flag to select a female mortem finish.

I don't mind this kind of addition at all, but I don't think it should be that noticeable anywhere in the game startup, per se. There is almost no mention of masculinity to begin with (perhaps it's in the text intro, but that's an equally-quick fix) and I tend to think of myself as an "it" when playing the game anyway. Hard to empathize with an @, no?
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

rchandra

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 23:12 »

If this belongs anywhere, it should go in the .ini file. Not too hard to change a flag to select a female mortem finish.

but supposed you don't want all your Marines to be Marinesses?  I agree that en extra prompt is a nuisance, but perhaps you can put a flag in the name?  Like [f] Ripley would become "Ripley" but female.
0.9.9.1-4: Arch-Vile Br. General [25/25/17/5/1]
0.9.9.5-7: Hell Baron Major [ 21 16 12 4 1 0 ]

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 01:25 »

Let's be blunt here: Making the DoomGuy female brings little to nothing to the game. On the other hand, there was a suggestion in the Challenge Thread about a challenge where you played a female character. That brings something more. A difference in speed, better at some weapons, bad with others, damage and HP variations. In short - a different playstyle.

In other words, if something like this is ever added, I strongly suggest that it be more than just a difference in just gender.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 01:31 »

Let's be blunt here: Making the DoomGuy female brings little to nothing to the game. On the other hand, there was a suggestion in the Challenge Thread about a challenge where you played a female character. That brings something more. A difference in speed, better at some weapons, bad with others, damage and HP variations. In short - a different playstyle.

In other words, if something like this is ever added, I strongly suggest that it be more than just a difference in just gender.

For one, since I am thelaptop, I'd like to play as CyberDoomGuy, with mad aiming skills and no encumberance from all the things I wear.  Unfortunately, that also means that I cannot "upgrade" from the traits also.

;-)
I computed, therefore I was.

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 03:23 »

Perhaps your female marine has a badassness of 15.0 on a scale of 10.0 and so she's masculine?

Why would female marines neccessarily need to be ultra-mannish? Characters like Samus Aran and Lara Croft, even if they are becoming rather trite, oft-repeated examples do still, I think, prove that female characters can be badasses without being "mannish" in any sort of extreme... Actually, my favourite example is probably Samantha Carter, but that's just me...

but supposed you don't want all your Marines to be Marinesses?  I agree that en extra prompt is a nuisance, but perhaps you can put a flag in the name?  Like [f] Ripley would become "Ripley" but female.

Now that is a good idea... :)

Hmm... I wouldn't neccessarily be in favour of this, but it could work...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 03:35 by Captain Trek »

Angles of death

• Second Lieutenant
  • HOLD. DEVILS. POT OF TEA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 03:38 »

No,it is too small to even be concidered a change.
...........A...A....M...A.....V
......V.............@......A..>
........V....V..C....B....B..A
Take a look to the sky just before you die it's the last time he will!!!

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 04:26 »

Well, I am against it, since the female character would have significant advantages over DoomGuy. Game would be unfair
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 10:16 »

Well, I am against it, since the female character would have significant advantages over DoomGuy. Game would be unfair

Well this wouldn't happen if gender selection were simply a cosmetic choice as I originally suggested, rather than some sort of challenge mode...

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 11:58 »

Well, if you want a doomgirl, you can easily "implement" this feature yourself by changing some sfx in the ini. ;P
skulltag.wad (included with Skulltag, free Doom source port) has female marine sounds in it.. :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 12:00 by Mrazerty »
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!
Pages: [1]