Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 07:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Stars & Salvage PBF - IC Thread  (Read 45728 times)

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Re: Stars & Salvage PBF - IC Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2010, 09:31 »

- "Asteroid mining sounds rather tendious, I'd leave this and low-pay transport contracts as last option if everything else fails. At the same time I don't think we should start off with high-risk transports or pirate hunt either..." - Doran considered the options aloud - "...so unless someone has any counter arguments I'd say we try our luck with missing ships. With any luck we'll manage to do it without running into any trouble, and if not... well let's hope we can handle them."
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

UltimateChaos

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Arch-Vile Mjr. General
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2010, 09:29 »

"My thoughts exactly.  I would prefer to make an actual earning instead of a small amount of funds that may or may not cover the cost of maintenance and fuel.  I wouldn't know where to begin tracking down pirates and our ship would assuredly take damage bringing them down possibly negating the reward, making it a pointless venture.  Our vessel is ill suited as a bulk transport ship or luxury passenger vessel, so it seems that looking for the missing ships is our best course of action."

The Parthia system and missing ships...  It may be completely unrelated, but it would be a good area to start my personal search as well.

Smiling at a private thought, Vince continues "Being a recent posting, the events surrounding the missing ships will likely be fresh, surely aiding in an investigation.  While the risk may be high, with proper caution and our diverse skill sets it ought to be something that we can handle."
[22/22/19/7/3]
Just completed Strongman Gold ^_^

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2010, 14:22 »

By the time the rest was discussing matters of buisness, Yurij did everything he could do to familiarize himself with the ship, beginning with finding himself a place to sleep, saving his equipment there and putting down the armor. After a quarter of furnishing his new den, he leaves the cabin - wearing fresh clothes and a traditional duelling hide, carrying around his legacy blade attached to a belt. He whistles happily as the door seal, lights a cigarette, then takes a walk around the Blue Crow's deck, his steps echoing through the corridors.

After some time, he arrives back on the bridge. With a smile, he says:
"Zhe ?????? iz right, ???????????. Let uz take care ov thoze lozt ships, at leazt the bounty zeemz vorth ze rizk. Yet az for piratez, I don't think zhat ve should dizdain zis one completely. Let uz keep it in mind juzt in caze ve met any ov zhem during our voyagez, ????"

Xander Morhaime

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Colonel
  • Boot to the head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2010, 08:04 »

"Statement: Tracking down the ships themselves may be difficult, captain. The offer has been up for six days, the vessels themselves have been missing for thirteen. The locals have shown no interest in the considerable amount of money, and Federation authorities have apparently been unable to locate the ships in question thus far. Summary: Unconventional methods of searching may need to be employed," Carrion explained, then paused for a few moments.

"Statement: I have completed acquiring available information on the ships in question. There is not much of it. As jump-capable vessels, they did not use the gate to enter the system and so precise information on their point of origin is unavailable. System control has recorded four simultaneous events matching jump-exit with a signature matching the missing vessels, thirteen standard days ago, but the ships themselves never docked at the local station. There have been no jump-entry events recorded since then, so it is reasonable to expect they are somewhere within system, however. Ship specifications are classified, but communication signatures and visual ID data have been provided."
12. A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2010, 13:50 »

"Well if they registered the ships appearing in system, then there should be possible to roughly estimate where they appeared. And that's some starting point... but not a strong one sadly. If anyone has some ideas other than going into that area and trying to scan area around it in hopes of finding something to lead us to the ships, I'm all ears."

UltimateChaos

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Arch-Vile Mjr. General
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2010, 12:17 »

"Well, let's take a look at what we know.  First of all, the locals have shown no interest in a large sum of money.  Greed is a base trait of all humanity, only trumped by survival.  The locals know or suspect something but are unwilling to volunteer that information to the Federation.  Secondly, why is the Federation getting involved?  The locals obviously didn't ask for their help in finding the missing ships, so what possible desire would the Federation have for locating them?  Thirdly, they jumped TO this system captain, TO this system.  They must have been expected somewhere."

Mental gears whirring, Dr. Shelder started to pace back and forth.  "Now, what do we get when we tie all these clues together?  Keep in mind that they offer was only posted six days ago while the vessels have been missing for thirteen.  Obviously, the vessels were expected to arrive within 7 days to their destination or no bounty would have been posted.  I suspect an organization large enough to cause the locals to be afraid and entrenched enough to have eluded the Federation and reduced them to hounds sniffing after ships."

Federation hounds, those damned Federation curs!  They will pay dearly for their betrayal. "In fact, I suspect this job is a bit more dangerous than we initially realized.  However, our best bet is to find their approximate entry point based off of their jump-exit signatures and find any docking points within a seven days travel.  Then we investigate those points, that is clearly the best course of action."

"Carrion, could you let us know if you detect their communication signatures at all during our search?  There's a good chance at least one of these ships will be giving off an SOS signal if foul play befell any of them.  "

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 17:52 by UltimateChaos »
[22/22/19/7/3]

Xander Morhaime

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Colonel
  • Boot to the head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2010, 13:24 »

"Confirmation: I will alert you to any transmissions received. Warning: It should be noted that the ship's sensors are on an extended array, and while this provides an improved scanning range and performance while extended, they are far less effective while retracted... and fast movement with them extended has a 93.21% chance of causing serious damage to the array. Summary: It is unlikely we will simply overhear a lifeboat beacon while travelling around," Carrion explained.
12. A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2010, 13:29 »

- "Well, assuming we can figure out their intended destination we could plan our search route with stops along the way in places that would allow us to do full scans of the area. It'd be slow, and still far from perfect, but it's better than relying on lower efficiency of on-the-move scans." - Doran responded - "What bothers me is lack of information. The classified ship specs, the fact that Doctor just mentioned that Federation got involved AND tried to keep the whole thing quiet until they decided they need help. This whole deal begins to stink."

UltimateChaos

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Arch-Vile Mjr. General
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2010, 19:57 »

"The greater the stink, the easier it is for the nose to follow." Vince responds, seemingly unconcerned with the growing danger of the operation.

"Carrion, if you will, could you give us the approximate jump-exit coordinates of the missing ships as well as all viable docking berths within seven days travel from the jump-exit signatures at a standard speed?"
[22/22/19/7/3]

Xander Morhaime

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Colonel
  • Boot to the head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2010, 16:34 »

"Calculating... Result: Displaying jump-point navigation beacon," Carrion said, the holographic display of the system being enriched by a blinking dot, a good distance "above" the orbit planes of the system's planets. "Travel time from current location: one hour, twenty three minutes. Known docking berths: Parthia IV station, Lyskel jump gate, Estiad jump gate. Other possibilities include planetary surface landings or unregistered asteroid stations. Report ends."

"Summary: If the ships in question have docked anywhere in this system, they have not done so at any registered and monitored site. Further orders?"

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2010, 14:22 »

- "Is there any indication in data we have available that this system wasn't the final destination of the ships? If not, then our best guess would be that they planned to dock at the station and start scanning from approximate entry point towards it"

Xander Morhaime

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Colonel
  • Boot to the head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2010, 17:32 »

"Course to Parthia IV jump-site buoy plotted, engaging engines," Carrion calmly stated, the faintest vibration felt through the hull of the ship as the engines kicked into gear. "Statement: I am afraid the ships' assignment in system is also classified."

With that matter dealt with and a long flight ahead of you, there was some time to get to know the ship and its accommodations a bit better. The previous owners had only seemed to use 8 of the staterooms as actual living quarters. The rooms were sparingly furnished and devoid of decorations, though that could be attributed to the ship being used to repay some debts. There was a bed, complete with a 0G harness, a table and chair attached to the floor by magnets, basic sanitary facilities... So far only one stateroom had been claimed - third from the front on the starboard side, where miss Ernal was currently getting her beauty sleep, the others were still up for grabs.

The other four staterooms had been repurposed for other uses - the second one from the front on the starboard side had been made into a kitchen, though the supplies you'd been provided with at the station were quite cheap and could only be called food by the most generous (at least it contained nutrients and was intended for human consumption). Its opposite number on the port side was a social room with a bigger table and a few more chairs, while the two foremost staterooms... well, whatever furnishings had been there had already been removed, so the rooms themselves were pretty much bare.

Should anyone be watching the bridge and controls, they would eventually see the Blue Crow arrive at the jump-point for the Parthia system. The view here was uninteresting in the extreme - far above the orbital planes and away from the system star, it had an overabundance of clear open space, taken up only by a buoy that processed incoming and outgoing jump coordinates. With no ships in sight, those on the bridge could watch as the sensor suite was deployed and the holographic display cycled through a number of profiles before settling on one. Within a minute of arriving at the jump-point, the word "SCANNING" appeared in big letters on the bridge display.

It was at least another hour of nothing exciting at all before the first results started coming back. The "SCANNING" message shrunk down a bit, and the bridge display began to scroll columns of letters and numbers. Those with a bit more grounding in the sciences might recognise chemical symbols, mostly various metal elements. Over time, the numerous readings got filtered, a few entries being marked out if only for a few moments. Survey work only really got interesting once something was found...

As the scanning went on, a small display of the Parthia system was visible in the corner, a vague cloud spreading over it as the scanner added possible results to the map. The most obvious was the thick ring-like cloud, no doubt the system's asteroid belt... a few larger clouds signified planets, and a few more tiny clouds away from the planets could probably be attributed to rogue asteroids, comets, and other such space junk. Another hour passed by as the scans became more precise, the clouds on the display fading, becoming replaced by faintly glowing spheres, then eventually by brightly glowing dots.

Finally, the ship intercom sparked to life with Carrion's usual voice: "Request: Crew report to bridge."

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2010, 10:24 »

'What the...' mumbled Elizabeth as the intercom pulled her from the sleep. Reluctantly, but hastily, she squeezed into the sealant sheathe, hoping that the sudden alarm from the ship's AI does not herald any troubles. 

She made her way to the bridge, only to find it empty- to her surprise, she was the first to get there. She took a look onto the holographic display, trying to make a sense out of what it displayed, but quickly decided that it was not her part to fiddle with it.

'Hmm... Carrion, right?' she asked after a while of hesitation. 'Does this ship have any interstellar communication? I have a few messages to send...'
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 07:18 by Gargulec »
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2010, 09:38 »

A few moments after Elizabeth appears on the bridge, the Russian comes also, clad in his combat equipment. He still wears his family sabre, though.
"Yurij reporting for zervice -oh, pardon me, ???????. Thought ze ??????????? vould already be here.", he announces with a slight smile. His eyes seem to be a bit bloated - appears that he had slept heavily. What would psychically tire him so much?
One's thoughts quickly get confirmed, as last Morgov yawns broadly, covering his mouth with a fist.
"???????? ????.", he says.

Xander Morhaime

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Colonel
  • Boot to the head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2010, 15:17 »

"Statement: The ship is capable of interfacing with FedNet for purposes of long-range communications. However, I suggest waiting with any outgoing calls until more pressing business has been dealt with," Carrion replied.

Once the rest of the crew had gathered on the bridge, Carrion moved on to explain the situation.

"Statement: I believe I may have found the location of the missing ships. If you will direct your attentions to the system map," the AI said, adjusting the bridge display so that the system map was much bigger and plainly visible to everyone. The scan results were still overlayed on the map, ranging from the vague cloud marking out the asteroid belt and planets, to several bright dots... one of them in close proximity of a planet, a few more scattered around the asteroid belt, and a somewhat larger one some distance above the orbital plane. "Explanation: I have taken the liberty of adjusting the survey suite to scan for concentrations of refined metals that might be found within ship hulls. We may safely disqualify the signal here," the dot near the planet-cloud faded out, "as that will be the Parthia IV station. The readings from the asteroid belt may be worth following up, but they are just as likely to be unregistered stations or mining ships. Therefore, I suggest that the reading here," the larger bright spot removed from the rest of the system flashed red, "would be our best bet of locating the missing ships at the moment. I have already calculated a course, we are 26 minutes' flight from the site. If the captain approves, I will set us off on that course."

Though the AI didn't have a proper body, or even a face, you got the impression it was watching you expectantly and waiting for a decision.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8