Chaosforge Forum

• April 28, 2024, 02:55
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Monster reaction to noise  (Read 8357 times)

Kg

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Celestial Horizon
Re: Monster reaction to noise
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 06:22 »

Well in FPS doom monsters would see you from great distance if there's no obstacle, so Cyberdemon would pwn you right away on the arena. and in caves you would die in a second. If I recall correcly when you shoot, monsters become 'alive' (check out doom2 lvl 1, they are turned back, but this can't be done in DoomRL in a way allowing you to see which side they're turned). So if they are spawned they don't move at all until you make some noise or enter this room (I don't remember if opening other door would lure monsters from nearby rooms, but I don't think so).
Hell Baron 2nd Lieutenant
[22|11|4|0|0]
Latest: Eagerness Bronze

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 15:14 »

If nothing else it could be an interesting (and code heavy) challenge mode.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 22:05 »

If nothing else it could be an interesting (and code heavy) challenge mode.
It could even be a very simple version: monsters have no non-hostile pathing and ONLY react to either the player's presence or noise. That would, at least, make it change the gameplay enough to warrant the challenge option.

Also, the monster's limited line of sight is there for a reason right?
The line of sight also brings the intresting question of cateye, considering it would get hell of a nerf here.
Monsters have a limited line of sight for the same reason that players have a limited line of sight: there isn't much of a tactical anything if all objects in a given room are visible the moment you step inside. As it stands, there's an initiative to abuse the line-of-sight conditions within the game's parameters, something which is pretty "meh" as a tactical excuse (boring for me, at least). Cateye, in the most open of areas, is practically a hack right now: tiptoeing until you see an enemy and killing it before it has the chance to fire, cover be damned. The fact that other monsters do not notice that this is going on when it's in their line of sight troubles me.

Having monsters react to noise, when such a mechanic does not exist in the game at all, is probably way too ambitious of an idea for me to suggest. Monsters reacting to fire DOES exist, and monsters reacting to monsters that react to fire would also be something I'd like to see.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver
Pages: 1 [2]  All