Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 06:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Pain filled lessons from DoomRL, a newbie's survival guide.  (Read 12209 times)

mcz117chief

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Eternal warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Pain filled lessons from DoomRL, a newbie's survival guide.
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 10:36 »

A question: Does "The Army of Darkness" affect EVERY shotgun ? Including the special ones, like plasma or supershotgun ?

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 10:57 »

A question: Does "The Army of Darkness" affect EVERY shotgun ? Including the special ones, like plasma or supershotgun ?
A good question. I know it works with Jackhammer and super shotgun from experience. My guess is that MAD modifies shrapnel damage coming from you to have full armor penetration, but it could be hard-coded to each weapon specifically. If the former, plasma shotgun wouldn't be affected, but then again, that's one of the huge, natural advantages of using a plasma shotgun in the first place.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

ultimania92

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2010, 22:29 »

The more technical answer is that the combat shotgun has a tighter grouping (and thus less spread) than the double shotgun.  Given the current bugs with LOS, you might prefer a double shotgun when shooting from doorways to either side of an alley due to the better spread than the combat shotgun, but be aware of the reloading times and the fact that damage resistance from armour is applied on all three dice rolls.

Notably though, getting the Army of the Dead perk nullifies the armor rating on those rolls, correct me if I'm wrong.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 01:35 »

Notably though, getting the Army of the Dead perk nullifies the armor rating on those rolls, correct me if I'm wrong.
You are not wrong.  But usually, if you can reach the stage where you get MAD, you don't really need to worry if you are using the double shotty or the combat shotty.  Since this is mostly a guide for newbies, I thought it was useful to remind them of the armour issues of the double shotty.
I computed, therefore I was.
Pages: 1 [2]  All