Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 09:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dualgunner pistol builds - with or without whizkid, power or bulk?  (Read 2764 times)

C4Cypher

• Corporal
  • Clear Chamber, Load, Charge, Safety, Fire.
    • View Profile

You have to think carefully about choosing mods.  If I go whizkid, I try to get both power and bulk on my pistols (not so much agility because I LOVE my eagle eye). I feel that bulk mods are better for dual-gunner pistols if you're not going for a kata build, if you're going Gun-Kata, yeah, power mods because magazine capacity is a moot point.  However, without Kata ... dual-gunner fires fast, and you'll be getting an extra 2d4*2 damage before each reload (add 2 or 3 points for SOG), rather than the 2d5 averaged over the twelve shots, statistics and probabilities isn't my strong point, and I'm sure someone could prove statistically that power mods work out better in the long run ... *shrug*.
Cacodemon Warrant Officer
[12/6/1/0/0]

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile

Don't forget to factor armor into the equation. Bonus damage from power mods can be much more noticeable against highly armored targets:

2d4+2 (from SoaG 2) averages out at 7 points of damage, which is reduced to as little as 3, if memory serves, by the demons' armor.
Now, each power mod raises average pistol damage by 1. This is very nice when raising damage from 7 to 8, but is outstanding when raising it from 3 to 4.
Another thing to factor in is limited ammo - power mods are much more ammo friendly than bulk mods.

My $0.02 before I pass out.
'Night. :)

Fanta Hege

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Will it work? I HAVE NO IDEA
    • View Profile

Depends on your play style I'd say.
If you aren't going whiz, bulks might be more helpful but if you're experienced and playing careful, powermods are more useful
Power mods will also give you knockback chance for your guns!
i dont even know anymore

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike

...and I'm sure someone could prove statistically that power mods work out better in the long run ... *shrug*.
For the sake of simplicity, I'm going to run this on the assumption of using only one gun. Once we deal with DG and mods, things get more complicated due to the fact that mods only apply to one gun. I can do a complete analysis if you want, but this post will stick to a quick rundown so you get the idea of things.

Abbreviations:
DMG - damage (hereafter always considered by the average)
FT - firing time
RT - reload time
CS - clip size
DPS - damage per second

Pistols have the following stats: 5 DMG, 1.0s FT, 1.2s RT 6 CS. For a single pistol's DPS over a long period of time, we do the following calculation:

DMG / (FT + (RT / CS))

Plugging in our stats, we get 5 / (1.0 + (1.2 / 6)) = 4.167 DPS.

A single power mod changes the pistol's stats to: 6 DMG, 1.0s FT, 1.2s RT, 6 CS. Using the same calculation, we get 6 / (1.0 + (1.2 / 6)) = 5 DPS.
A single bulk mod changes the pistol's stats to: 5 DMG, 1.0s FT, 1.2s RT, 8 CS. Using the same calculation, we get 5 / (1.0 + (1.2 / 8)) = 4.348 DPS.

Since they are additive, additional power mods will add 5/6 or ~0.833 DPS (thus P2 gives 5.833 DPS and P3 gives 6.667 DPS).
Additional bulk mods will add less DPS after each mod, with an asymptotic maximum of 5 DPS (though practically, B2 gives 4.464 DPS and B3 gives 4.545 DPS).

So yeah, for sheer damage, power is the way to go. This sort of analysis doesn't take into account player tactics, however. Sometimes it's better to have a bigger clip, because you may have a way of safe or instant (read: MGK) reloading.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 09:19 by Game Hunter »
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

C4Cypher

• Corporal
  • Clear Chamber, Load, Charge, Safety, Fire.
    • View Profile

Thanks guys ... yall have more than answered my question, the bulk mod is a moot point if you can find cover to reload in, although I can still imagine using bulk mods if I got whizkid ... especially if I'm using a modified pistol alongside the Gramaton Cleric Beretta.
Cacodemon Warrant Officer
[12/6/1/0/0]

rchandra

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile

I like having tech mods after power, especially if dual-wielding with a unique.  Could probably get behind B PPP T.
0.9.9.1-4: Arch-Vile Br. General [25/25/17/5/1]
0.9.9.5-7: Hell Baron Major [ 21 16 12 4 1 0 ]
Pages: [1]