Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 02:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A bit of a slump.  (Read 2460 times)

grommile

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
  • mmm beer
    • View Profile
A bit of a slump.
« on: October 05, 2010, 15:14 »

Trying to decide what to try next, given the following:
  • There's nothing left to do on ITYTD that would feel like any kind of actual achievement (I've got Scavenger Gold and Strongman Silver, after all).
  • I'm quickly getting tired of levels 1-3 on HMP (out of 25 HMP games on 0.9.9.1, only five games got further than L3; the tally of deaths includes two cases of "zoned into L2 in the middle of a lost soul room")
  • Beating HNTR with Ammochain wouldn't feel like much of an achievement given that I've beaten it on AoSh.
  • I don't really enjoy melee games on HNTR and above because of the dependency on giftdropping.
  • My pistol technique breaks down a short way into Hell on HNTR. (Ao100 best: 19, with pistols. AoMr best: 19.)
  • AoLT/AoI/AoH/AoP/AoRA/AoPc/AoMs don't appeal. (Ao100 does, partly because it doesn't have the Hellgate, but it's a bit on the long side...)
  • I hate the Hellgate level and am sometimes tempted to go back to 0.9.9 so that I don't have to put up with it.
0.9.9.7: 22-15-10-0-0 22/43 62/67 (P 349, D 43/67) 36/40 (B19 A12 M5) Arch-Vile CPT

Armorer Platinum and Diamond should be abolished; the Dragonslayer taboo deserves every scrap of mockery it receives.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
Re: A bit of a slump.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 16:16 »

Why, specifically, do you hate the Hellgate?

grommile

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
  • mmm beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 17:04 »

On reflection, it's not so much that I hate the Hellgate itself, as that I hate the Hellgate being level 15. I disapprove of the mid-game boss being harder than the standard endgame boss (easier than the bonus boss, though...)
0.9.9.7: 22-15-10-0-0 22/43 62/67 (P 349, D 43/67) 36/40 (B19 A12 M5) Arch-Vile CPT

Armorer Platinum and Diamond should be abolished; the Dragonslayer taboo deserves every scrap of mockery it receives.

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 00:18 »

Start having a crack at ultra-violence games? The things you learn from ultra-violence are practical for any other game-type (and happen to be about my level of playable-ness right now). Also, getting 3 shotguns on level 1 is a blast for some builds.

Ammo-chain away if you need to. Once you get used to UV, try some other builds. It basically makes the other skill levels seem a lot easier (other than N! of course).

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 05:02 »

On reflection, it's not so much that I hate the Hellgate itself, as that I hate the Hellgate being level 15. I disapprove of the mid-game boss being harder than the standard endgame boss (easier than the bonus boss, though...)
Quite odd that you would find the hellgate so troubling. Do you bring along a rocket launcher?

It's pretty much "the wall but several times easier", which admittedly also describes the final boss.

Quick Edit: Oh, I get it, you're playing on AoMr. Yeah, that'd make it pretty tricky.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 05:05 by Thomas »
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40
Pages: [1]