Chaosforge Forum

• April 25, 2024, 11:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dual guns and mods  (Read 4241 times)

DarkVoid

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Dual guns and mods
« on: October 09, 2010, 17:10 »

Question.
How do mods work with the two pistols for Dualgunner?
Are mods on both pistols taken into account? Will they stack if you have the same one on each gun?
Also, what would be the best ones to use? (I'm trying a build with 3SoG, DG, 3SoB and maybe EE).
Thanks in advance.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
Re: Dual guns and mods
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 17:51 »

For shot 1, the mods for pistol 1 count. For shot 2, the mods for pistol 2 count.
To answer your second question, my DoomRL experience got a little outdated, but I always liked to use damage and speed mods on pistols (speed is great against archviles later on).
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

DarkVoid

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 17:54 »

Ah well, that's simple. Also, by damage and speed did you mean "damage on one, speed on the other" or "damage or speed on both"?

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 17:59 »

I'd say, balance it a bit. Apply mod #1 to pistol one, next to pistol 2, next to pistol 1 again, and so on.
I say again, I'm speaking from personal not-so-educated experience :P But that seems fine.

EDIT: A pistol modded with a damage and a speed should be pretty good.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 18:01 by Mrazerty »
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

DarkVoid

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 18:21 »

Wait, does that mean I need Wizkid?

rchandra

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 18:33 »

you would need whizkid, so you'll only be able to finish the build late into Phobos Hell.  You can either store mods as you go or get WK before SoB.  One thing I do sometimes is get Finesse after DG, then get WK if I'm finding good mods or SoB if I'm not.  Finesse is good anyway, though not as good as SoB by itself.
really all of the mods are decent on pistols, though accuracy isn't ideal - they're already pretty accurate, and a level of Eagle Eye goes farther.
0.9.9.1-4: Arch-Vile Br. General [25/25/17/5/1]
0.9.9.5-7: Hell Baron Major [ 21 16 12 4 1 0 ]

DarkVoid

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 19:04 »

On an unrelated note, how does one survive Hellgate with a pistol build. In fact, how does one survive Hellgate at all? I usually use a homing phase device to get past the initial ambush, but the BBs kick my ass even if I try to run past them.

DarkVoid

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 19:44 »

Hehe...Nevermind.
Apparently, 2 power mod pistols + 3 son of a gun + 1 son of a bitch make Bruiser Bros seem like oversized imps. I still didn't know how to deal with the initial cluster**** of lost souls and stuff. I usually try to clear them out with a double shotgun or random chainfiring, but it's obviously not an option in AoMr.

rchandra

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 20:31 »

I think for my AoMr win I used a phase device to get out of that, then came back to kill them a few at a time.  Running (tab) to get to cover is the other option, a bit easier for Gun Kata builds.
0.9.9.1-4: Arch-Vile Br. General [25/25/17/5/1]
0.9.9.5-7: Hell Baron Major [ 21 16 12 4 1 0 ]

Kamikaze14

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 11:08 »

For the first group of enemies, I went to running mode to run back into the starting room and use the doorway as a chokepoint.  You will lose some health, but should be okay.

Misc note: Speed mods affect both pistols when dual wielding because the pistols' speeds are averaged together before the extra 20% time is added.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 17:04 »

On an unrelated note, how does one survive Hellgate with a pistol build. In fact, how does one survive Hellgate at all? I usually use a homing phase device to get past the initial ambush, but the BBs kick my ass even if I try to run past them.
Hellgate, given no restrictions, requires a certain weapon to be made rather simple. If you need a vague hint, it's the same weapon that makes a lot of areas simpler. This particular weapon doesn't help much on N!, but then again, no weapons helps on Hellgate N!...

For AoMr, my particular strategy involves blowing open the opposite door and running toward the opening once the enemies pop out. You don't take too much damage, and it gives you a decent bottleneck to work off of afterward. Bruisers are either kill with high offense or avoid with MGK (usually).

Misc note: Speed mods affect both pistols when dual wielding because the pistols' speeds are averaged together before the extra 20% time is added.
If you'd like to get technical (what a pun) about it, the speed increase will only affect each gun half as much. You still end up taking the average of both guns' firing speed.

Seems like a lot of people have questions when it comes to pistol builds these days.  Maybe I should do a write-up or something.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 20:46 »

I actually might add that to the trainer save post I've got going. A MGK save and a non-master build for both the Hellgate and the Mortuary (oh boy is the mortuary one going to be hard to put together, I'm not that crash-hot at pistol builds myself).

Probably on HMP, AoMr (UV might be a bit out of my league for a decent savegame for people to practice with). A standard game is a bit of un-conventional door making practice and you're done. Pistol build or not.

On mods, a tech or power or agility or bulk is usually best. In that order of preference. No bulk for MGK builds though. And I agree with the "run-for-the-door" technique in the Hellgate. There's armour, life and a little bit of ammo to help you out in the start area. With MGK try and get the occaisional free reload off skulls/daemons, otherwise just run and defend your little base at the start area.
Pages: [1]