Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 03:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A Bunch of Little Stuff  (Read 3015 times)

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
A Bunch of Little Stuff
« on: October 23, 2010, 00:25 »

1. The equipment screen is a little backwards. Whenever you try to select a slot that's already filled, it always seeks to unequip that equipment. I suggest that, if there are alternatives to put in the slot, there should be a menu (like using something) that gives you the option to equip any of those alternatives or to drop the equipped piece. Since you can already do the same thing from the inventory screen, it makes a lot of sense for it to go both ways.

2. Some of the coloring makes it really hard to notice what you're missing, particularly when you see so many different objects using that dark red color. Maybe switch up some of it? Barons and large med-packs could be pink, for example, and lava's red color should be bright red instead. All the bloodied tiles and bloodstone really obscure things.

3. It'd be nice if your stats screen factored in everything. Berserk modifications, for instance, have no obvious effect on the stats screen, but it's obvious that there's a speed bonus. (If nothing else, a little indicator with something like "Berserk State: +##% speed" would be awesome.) Also, current/total monster kill would make those min kill badges a lot easier to determine if you're anywhere near having a shot at completion.

4. Currently there's no choosing mechanic for multiple copies of quickkeyed weapons. If I want to select my power-modded pistol instead of my tech-modded pistol, the game only picks the top one from the inventory screen. Even more infuriating is trying to use another weapon with them.  Suppose I have a combat shotgun in the weapon slot and a pistol in the prepped, and I quickkey for my other pistol: the game just swaps my weapons and forgets about the other pistol. (This is remedied simply by not using the quickkey functions, I understand, but to have them there at all should imply they're functional whenever you need them to be.)

5. Whenever a homing phase device isn't going to work correctly, I suggest that there should be some kind of message to indicate thus (basically just Hellgate and Phobos Arena/HF, could apply to other stuff as necessary). "Cannot detect available exit. Phase anyway?" Also, do multiple exits (ala special/normal and Mortuary) provide a random exit, or is there an arbitrary given?

6. The 'wait' function always spends one second (10 turns), regardless of anything going on. I suggest that it contain an exception for approaching enemies: if the enemy comes into view during any turn of 'waiting', then it should end prematurely. Sometimes I wait and an Arachnatron still manages to approach AND fire a volley...that always seemed off to me.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
Re: A Bunch of Little Stuff
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 03:10 »

2. Some of the coloring makes it really hard to notice what you're missing, particularly when you see so many different objects using that dark red color. Maybe switch up some of it? Barons and large med-packs could be pink, for example, and lava's red color should be bright red instead. All the bloodied tiles and bloodstone really obscure things.
Large medpacks cannot be pink, because small medpacks are. To differentiate them from other red things, you would need to change them to an entirely different colour like light/dark green (envirosuits become white I guess). Lava already stands out because of its checkerboard red/yellow pattern.

Changing all health-related things to green would be a good idea, actually. Your HP could be displayed as green when above 50% and health globes could become light/dark green. (thus also differentiating them from berserk packs)

3. It'd be nice if your stats screen factored in everything. Berserk modifications, for instance, have no obvious effect on the stats screen, but it's obvious that there's a speed bonus. (If nothing else, a little indicator with something like "Berserk State: +##% speed" would be awesome.) Also, current/total monster kill would make those min kill badges a lot easier to determine if you're anywhere near having a shot at completion.

An improved stat screen is obviously required in 0.9.9.2.
I'm not sure about being able to see a monster count at any time, though. It might give the player too much information and devalue Intuition. What would be great though is a screen at the end of every level that showed your kill/powerup percentage and completion time similar to that of DooM/DooM 2.

6. The 'wait' function always spends one second (10 turns), regardless of anything going on. I suggest that it contain an exception for approaching enemies: if the enemy comes into view during any turn of 'waiting', then it should end prematurely. Sometimes I wait and an Arachnatron still manages to approach AND fire a volley...that always seemed off to me.

This would certainly have to mimic reaction time (i.e when a monster comes in to view, it stops waiting 2-3 turns later), otherwise a player with high firing speed would be able to abuse it.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 10:53 »

Large medpacks cannot be pink, because small medpacks are. To differentiate them from other red things, you would need to change them to an entirely different colour like light/dark green (envirosuits become white I guess). Lava already stands out because of its checkerboard red/yellow pattern.

Changing all health-related things to green would be a good idea, actually. Your HP could be displayed as green when above 50% and health globes could become light/dark green. (thus also differentiating them from berserk packs)
Large med-packs can be the same pink that Megaspheres are. Small med-packs are bright red, same as small healing globes and Bruiser Brothers.

However, changing around colors altogether, in an attempt to better mimic Doom's scheme, would probably be a step in the right direction. Assuming that Kornel is using something similar to EGA, we should have a few other colors to work with. For instance, gray and white could be used for small/large med-packs (as they were roughly that color in the old game, cross or no) and would therefore be really easy to spot. Then small/large healing globes are also the same color and Invulnerability Globes change to dark green (as per their original color).

There are a few options to go with, I suppose. I just think that there are enough colors that we don't need half the game dark red...it can be really confusing and stressful. Obviously this will be a moot point with the tiled version, but I figure this change isn't a big project, either.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 11:07 »

So the problem is that white blends into the doodads that describe the map, while gray has been singled out as the no-no colour for use on sprites on screen, as seen from the many "why not spectres?" threads due to visibility issues.

It is not the EGA model that is being used -- it appears that we are running on a more restrictive display model -- for instance, background colours other than black are frowned upon, and that immediately halves the entire combination of background/foreground colour combinations that can be used.  I might venture a bit more and claim we're running on a restricted VT100 model even.
I computed, therefore I was.

grommile

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
  • mmm beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 07:34 »

It doesn't help that the default palette for Windows console windows is shockingly poor. Dark blue is too dark, dark grey and light grey are too bright.
0.9.9.7: 22-15-10-0-0 22/43 62/67 (P 349, D 43/67) 36/40 (B19 A12 M5) Arch-Vile CPT

Armorer Platinum and Diamond should be abolished; the Dragonslayer taboo deserves every scrap of mockery it receives.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 08:20 »

It doesn't help that the default palette for Windows console windows is shockingly poor. Dark blue is too dark, dark grey and light grey are too bright.
Yeah, I fixed that by manually upping the RGB values by 32 (or was it 64?) to fix the gamma.
I computed, therefore I was.

C4Cypher

• Corporal
  • Clear Chamber, Load, Charge, Safety, Fire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 19:25 »

I just changed the color.ini so that power mods were red (to differentiate from exotic mods), and large medpacks/Health globes to bright green (helps to differentiate between the floor and berserk packs).  Barons aren't that hard to spot ... for me at least. The only thing I would wish to change would be the dark red lava, sometimes hard to distinguish from bloody floor, with painful results.
Cacodemon Warrant Officer
[12/6/1/0/0]
Pages: [1]