Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 22:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22

Author Topic: The Horrible Ideas Thread  (Read 130088 times)

Kashi

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • I'm going with the Alucard now
    • View Profile
Re: The Horrible Ideas Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2011, 16:12 »

And it should summon Lady Gaga. Or at least flood the level with something if you pull it repeatedly.

Oh, god. I'm no fan of Lady Gaga, but I would really laugh my ass off if I see in the next version that this ends happening. Yes, the lever idea implemented, with the effect of spawning a monster based on Lady Gaga.
0.9.9.5 - Archvile 2nd Lieutenant
[22][10][5][1][0]
"Tururu..."

Nameless

• First Sergeant
  • Proud owner of 22/22 bronzes: "It's a start!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2011, 18:58 »

To be balanced, add a new lever effect with the identical message "The smell of a massacre..." that instagibs you instead of enemies. Do not include this change in the version notes.

From now on, playing on ITYTD move will automatically colour your marine pink. Instead of blood, you leave trails of flowers. Hits are replaced with 'distance hugs' and deaths with 'just remembered they were late for a meeting'. Guns are friendship beads (2d6 damage to meanness). The full ending is unlocked by showing the cyberdemon your Thermonuclear Bomb Protest Sign and accepting his invitation to tea with his best friend Jesus Christ.

Arachnotrons are wussy in melee, give them a touch of death attack that bypasses armor and invulnerability.

Killing the cyberdemon with a melee weapon splits it into two fully healed cyberdemons.

Barons of hell can now pick up and activate nukes.

Splash damage from explosions will now detonate rockets as well as barrels. This includes any in your inventory. The damage stacks.

Megaspheres are now ten times more common, but have a 90% chance of being a trap and spawning up to 8 arch-viles around you.

Vulnerability globes. They tire you out, reduce your health to 1, unload all of your weapons and dump your entire inventory and equipment on the floor. On the upside they can remove cursed armor, but they cease working when less than half of the level's enemies remain.

Paint mod pack. It doesn't increase any stats, but your flaming decal BFG has never looked so cool.

Jumbo med-pack. It heals you up to 200%, but you immediately vomit and are left helpless for ten game seconds. Consuming more than one increases all your speeds by .05 each use.

New unique: Antimatter Bomb. It destroys the entire planet, leaving you floating in space until your invulnerability wears off you and splatter. Partial victory, I guess?

New unique: Home-ing Phase Device. It resets your experience and sends you back to phobos base. It tires you, but isn't destroyed upon use. Unique hoarding time.

Special level: Hell's Lavatory. It's like the lava pits, only with acid and no enemies or rewards. It replaces Hell's Armory with a 50% chance.

Angel of 1000. Expect JC caves by level 150.

Angel of 1. For those with really short coffee breaks. Oh, and the one level is phobos arena.

Angel of Apollo: You begin with a (cursed) nano-modded rocket launcher, red armor and plasteel boots. You may swap armor, but if the set you are wearing is ever completely destroyed you instantly suffocate.

... wait a second, that last one sounds awesome.

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2011, 19:56 »

I approve of:

- The changes to ITYTD (kids mode!)
- Paint mod packs. I'd use 'em.
- Angel of Apollo. Even if it would be really easy.
- Angel of 1 and 1000. Oh god, JC and nightmare cyberdemon caves.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2011, 20:35 »

Why are people approving things in the horrible ideas thread?!

Something must be wrong in the world today...
I computed, therefore I was.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2011, 22:08 »

Here, I'll try to make sure the ideas go back to being horrible:

Angel of Nothing
"This quote left intentionally blank."

This is, quite literally, nothing. Once you accept this challenge you won't be able to do anything. In fact, we'll crash the game FOR you, just to make sure you don't think there's anything to do. Don't press this unless you're too lazy to go back to the main menu.

New enemy: Ghost
Spawns from corpses (chance equivalent to N! respawning), making the corpse unreviveable. Ghost is invisible, phases through solid objects, cannot take damage, and cannot deal damage. Locks on to your position at all times. When it is on your tile, it will make a haunting noise really loudly and say "BOO" in the message screen. Happens on all difficulties.

New consumable: Opium (common, way too common)
Causes you to be unable to die, even if your health hits zero. Vision drops to zero, cannot fire weapons, and you will move randomly (or not at all). You will die instantly if you consume more than one at a time. Lasts for 40 actions (normal time).
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

AStranger

• First Lieutenant
  • Cyberdemon Blade
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2011, 22:35 »

New consumable: Opium (common, way too common)
Causes you to be unable to die, even if your health hits zero. Vision drops to zero, cannot fire weapons, and you will move randomly (or not at all). You will die instantly if you consume more than one at a time. Lasts for 40 actions (normal time).
No, this sounds very reasonable. Instead of making the player blind, it'd be more accurate to make every action take twice as long. Then give the player a breathe command and if they go to long forgetting to breathe, they die. It's very important for breathing not to display any messages, so there is no way to tell how long it's been since your last breath.
[24|23|20|18|13] v.0.9.9.3
[17|10|8|5|2] v.0.9.9.2
[15|11|10|6|3] v.0.9.9.1
[18|17|14|10|6] v.0.9.9

Kashi

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • I'm going with the Alucard now
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2011, 05:17 »

Paint mod pack. It doesn't increase any stats, but your flaming decal BFG has never looked so cool.

Better yet: "Red paint mod", which makes your guns fire/armor movespeed THREE times faster/, because you think it's possible! Clap your hands if you believe, indeed.
0.9.9.5 - Archvile 2nd Lieutenant
[22][10][5][1][0]
"Tururu..."

Kamikaze14

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2011, 05:18 »

"Da red wunz go fasta!" :D

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2011, 08:21 »

Better yet: "Red paint mod", which makes your guns fire/armor movespeed THREE times faster/, because you think it's possible! Clap your hands if you believe, indeed.
Not right... red armour makes you slower.

Green, on the other hand...
I computed, therefore I was.

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2011, 08:36 »

No, thelaptop, you do not understand.

Red wunz go fasta!

[/Wh40k reference ends here]
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2011, 10:59 »

I was wondering where that came from...
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2011, 17:01 »

Mod Tactical Armor so that it turns you red.

Make red armor black instead.

That should fix it.

Also, I'm reasonably sure Kids Mode could be activated in part with some clever typing in some of the lua files. Make enemies bleed flowers and turn back into peaceful humans when shot!

Edit, to avoid double post:

It strikes me that this is a terrible idea, since DoomRL is more rogue-like than a lot of rogue-likes claim, and is further a coffee break rogue-like, but Angel of 100 got me thinking.

I'd kind of like to see Doomband or something similar. Uses DoomRL's combat system, but perhaps with monster difficulty and numbers tweaked, the dungeon perhaps extended, though not to Ao100's extent, and ways provided to go from the 'dungeon' back to town, where you can hoard mods and uniques at your home and spend the bounty plundered from monsters on a new trait, healz and armor repair, or the exorbitantly expensive nuclear plasma gun and firestorm mod that just appeared in the Black (Exotic) Market. Maybe explain it away as the first level of the base being held by your buddies and used to manufacture some equipment.

It'd be kind of nice to dive into a difficult, populous level without worrying as much about conserving health or ammo... playing at a more relaxed pace, in an environment more Angband-like than Rogue-like. It's sort of hard to explain.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 17:34 by Ander Hammer »
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2011, 11:38 »

Trash Medals. Awarded for doing extremely foolish and downright shameful things.

Turd on a Stick - Awarded when getting killed on dlvl1 at itytd or hntr.
Big Red Button trophy - Awarded for getting killed as a result of pulling the wrong lever in a state of Denmark level. "They told me I shouldn't press that nice juicy looking button, but I just HAD to do it... :("
Avarice medal - Awarded for getting killed with over 5 large meds in your inventory.
Molten tin soldier - Awarded for getting severly hurt or killed as a result of aiming a rev launcher or bfg10k at a square just next to you, with the intention of just shooting in a certain direction.
Golden bomb belt - Awarded for killing yourself with a nuke or angel arm on a level other than 25 and 26 without invunerability.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 11:40 by Mrazerty »
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2011, 12:03 »

Avarice medal - Awarded for getting killed with over 5 large meds in your inventory.

Oh geez, the number of these that I'd have would be downright shameful, I'm sure.

Dr. Strangelove Badge: Died to a nuke playing Angel of Impatience
Trophy of Clumsiness: Died on a floor that had already been cleared
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

AStranger

• First Lieutenant
  • Cyberdemon Blade
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2011, 00:28 »

Molten tin soldier - Awarded for getting severly hurt or killed as a result of aiming a rev launcher or bfg10k at a square just next to you, with the intention of just shooting in a certain direction.
Been there done that, on level 100... up and murdered myself for apparently no reason. It'll only happen once though.

Trophy of Clumsiness: Died on a floor that had already been cleared
Ugh, done that too and unfortunately will probably do it again.
[24|23|20|18|13] v.0.9.9.3
[17|10|8|5|2] v.0.9.9.2
[15|11|10|6|3] v.0.9.9.1
[18|17|14|10|6] v.0.9.9
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22