Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 03:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 22

Author Topic: The Horrible Ideas Thread  (Read 130030 times)

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Re: The Horrible Ideas Thread
« Reply #165 on: March 04, 2012, 09:50 »

Angel of Modern FPS Games
Apart from the last few points involving money, this smells like a mod waiting to be made!

O.o
I computed, therefore I was.

HexaDoken

• Sergeant
  • The Shotgun Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 04, 2012, 11:03 »

An invisibility sphere that allows you to wander around unnoticed. If you hit a monster, it notices you, but has -4 to hit.
Great for Angels of Berserk and Pacifist.
2nd Lieutenant Hell Baron, Body Count: 43879
Wins:[1|7|1|0|0] Deaths: [7|90|26|16|2] Badges:[18|10|4|0|0]
Highest Score: 214763
Currently Doing: AoB HNTR

snusnumrik

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 04, 2012, 20:51 »

if 4 barrel shotgun was rejected
then maybe a 10 barrel one will be accepted
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 01:41 by snusnumrik »

ih8regin

• Captain
  • You dodge! The Cyberdemon dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 05, 2012, 03:44 »

Invis-sphere? Yes I say, but maybe not in this implementation, and some of the monsters should still be able to see you under the invis.
0.9.9.6: Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant, wins 3|5|3|2|0, badges [22|17|7|1|0]
0.9.9.7: badges [21|17|17|10|1|wow,1], quest: UV each challenge (9/16)

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 06, 2012, 01:54 »

I can't believe this topic has to be necro'd.

Special Stopwatch
Usable item (once if random drop/exotic, perhaps more than once as a special reward for a level (that doesn't exist yet))
OR
Powerup (soulsphere/invul/megasphere level?)

A fancy pocketwatch befitting a gentleman or lady.

On use, makes a certain set number of Doomguy's actions take 0s - no monsters can move or attack.

Items can be picked up as normal. Optionally, no ranged attacks launched will actually fire until time re-starts, as they all happen in the same instant.
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

ih8regin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 06, 2012, 04:02 »

I'd say this should be an exotic one-time item, like a phase device. Well, this thing is pretty much overpowered, while being easy to implement, just add ~15000 energy to player, and let him work it out with actions. About missiles not firing - it's a lot harder to make, as they are now resolvable on call, while just prohibiting the Doomguy to fire ranged weapons could do, it shouldn't be IMHO the intended effect.

Hamster

• Elder
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 06, 2012, 04:06 »

That reminds me American McGee's Alice...

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 06, 2012, 04:12 »

Hmmm.. if it is supposed to stop time, it should also prevent N! respawning, hold off lava and acid waves (halls of carnage), pause nuke timers, stop the shambler's regeneration, stop regeneration gained by some of the armours, stop health decay (either when boosted without badass or from level feeling)... probably a bunch of other stuff that I haven't thought of. Not se easy to implement.

It could have the effect of freezing only enemies, which would not require the above stuff, and should allow you to still shoot missiles as well.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

ih8regin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 06, 2012, 04:21 »

if I understand game mechanics correctly, the next turn does not start while there is a creature with more than 5000 energy, and each action decreases the acted creature's energy count by its length in milliseconds. So, in case the Doomguy will receive a 15000 energy boost, he will have free actions while his energy will be above 5000, and the turn counter won't advance, and any turn-aligned special procs won't work, be it nuke, lava/acid wave, N! respawning or monster regen. Player armor regen uses player actions count, so it WILL proceed - but it's logical, as the time is not stopped for the player, the same with health decay, while I'm not sure which event triggers deadly chill. So if there is no trimming for the current energy value, this is VERY easy to implement. ;)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 04:44 by ih8regin »

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 06, 2012, 04:24 »

OK, I guess that's fair. I'm still quite proud of myslef for the list of stuff that I thought would cause problems =)
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 06, 2012, 09:27 »

Hehehe, I actually came up with a very similar idea last night that I was going to post.  Except instead of giving you extra energy, you got to act until you got zero energy, then you'd have to wait for the energy to climb back up.  It wouldn't just be a single-use item though, maybe something like a staff.

Ander Hammer

• Elder
  • Major
  • burst laser rifle (2d10)x7 [80/80] (H1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 06, 2012, 10:05 »

Quote from: ih8regin and other people
a bunch of technical stuff

I tried to avoid going into too much detail, but I think I underestimated the DoomRL forum's ability to not choke on obtuse concepts like granting Doomguy infinite energy and having his turns still take time, but happen instantly, with the end result being timed things still happening to him and things he's manipulating - allowing powered armor to regenerate or weapons to be reloaded or medpacks to be picked up - while nothing else can move - nukes or lava crawls or monsters. Or bullets, which would stop once they left the gun barrel, pointed at the thing he was shooting, primed to fly forth and all miss due to being out of LOS hit at the same time as the other fifty in the volley.

For bonus points, the next action of anything in sight range would pretend Doomguy was still standing in the same spot when time resumed. Somewhat handy if you're surrounded by Barons or something and want a cheap laugh.

I think a consume+carry would either be too weak to be useful or a free boss kill, though...
Hell Baron Major
[25|20|11|2|0]
Quest: bronzes/silvers i guess
[Inferno] ITYTD Win

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 06, 2012, 12:44 »

if I understand game mechanics correctly, the next turn does not start while there is a creature with more than 5000 energy, and each action decreases the acted creature's energy count by its length in milliseconds. So, in case the Doomguy will receive a 15000 energy boost, he will have free actions while his energy will be above 5000, and the turn counter won't advance, and any turn-aligned special procs won't work, be it nuke, lava/acid wave, N! respawning or monster regen.

All of this is true, because it's all based on turn timers.  However...

Player armor regen uses player actions count, so it WILL proceed - but it's logical, as the time is not stopped for the player, the same with health decay, while I'm not sure which event triggers deadly chill.

This is time based, not action based.  Running will slow down health decay, so it would completely stop like acid/lava waves stop and monsters stop.  But that's not all...

Player armor regen uses player actions count, so it WILL proceed - but it's logical, as the time is not stopped for the player,

You'd THINK this would be the case... but it's not.  If the action takes less than a turn, it doesn't count as an action.  Testing shows that if you have a ridiculous speed rating or you're messing with the energy counter directly, armors STOP regenerating because your actions aren't actually using turns (also applies to auto-recharging weapons).  The reason for this is to prevent abuse with Juggler's instant weapon swapping.
Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.4)  [26!/8/3/1/0]

Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant (0.9.9.6)  [22/12/3/0/0]
M:16 S:43 (126) A:17

ih8regin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 06, 2012, 23:23 »

oh, that's even better, as it comes closer to what the Stopwatch designer intended! And thanks, it's always good if some mechanics is explained.

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #179 on: April 07, 2012, 08:45 »

Former Scientist f
25 HP
Random Weapon (Always fully loaded)
Random Ammo Stack (Always maxed out)
Minimum DLevel: 12
Ammo Stack does not have to match Weapon
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 22