Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 12:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: DoomRL typos  (Read 68175 times)

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
Re: DoomRL typos
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 15:20 »

Okay, time to look through the help file... (p means paragraph)

Bold words are to be added, Stricken words are to be removed.

General: There are a lot of "--" in the document. Often they are used appropriately, but there are instances where punctuation would get the job done, making the paragraphs easier to read through.
Getting Started, p1: Show Player screens are far more than 3 now, more like 10
Getting Started, p2: "Corporal" -> "Private First Class"; space missing just before left parenthesis
Getting Started, p6: perks probably doesn't need quotations; "levelled" -> "leveled"
Getting Started, p7: "Advanced Traits" is proper but "master traits" is not, pick one
Getting Started, screenshot: player's name is supposed to be light blue instead of dark
Getting Started, p10: "sob" should probably be capitalized and/or dotted to emphasize acronym
Getting Started, p11: two instances of -- and one of -, choose one for consistency (applies to any future uses, Find & Replace works wonders for stuff like this)
Getting Started, p12: after quoting each tactic once (since these are words being used in a proper context anyway), future quotes are unnecessary; levelling -> leveling; ...descending to the next level.
Getting Started, p13: no mention of armor #s; ...the number in bracketsparentheses indicates...
Getting Started, p14: need space between Kill and 'em; "rock landscape" appears in other areas, should probably change parenthetical to "such as on the first level"
Getting Started, p16: "u" is also used for pulling levers, may want to mention the priority
Getting Started, p18: needs a mention that the alt-fire button is "F"; "special" from special fire probably does not need to be in quotes
Getting Started, p19: "special" from special reload probably does not need to be in quotes; "Reloading is automatic if you have the proper ammo in your inventory." <-- confusing statement, there is no non-automatic reload, perhaps reword so it is obvious that you will reload as much as the ammo in your inventory will allow
Getting Started, p22: callback to p13, at the very least keep the two paragraphs next to each other (if already fixed in p13, p22 can likely be removed)
Getting Started, p33: "Try to check out the "@" screen...", alternatively, use "character" screen and make note of the button you need to press after
Getting Started, p34: callback to p18, at the very least keep the two paragraphs next to each other (if already fixed in p13, lever mention can be removed; could stand to mention water/acid/lava
Getting Started, p36: "Common - Hmm... thisThese items are..."; "Most of them can beare generated randomly, others are dropped by enemies using them, and still otherswhile some of them will appears in certain places..."; armor/boots can only hold one mod without WK
Getting Started, p37: mentioning unique before they are defined is a bit haphazard; "...usually more powerful versions of standardcommon items,..."; exotics hold the same mods as commons (two for weapons, one for armor/boots)
Getting Started, p38: Uniques -> Unique; (I'm just going to rewrite this while keeping the message clear.) "The rarest and most powerful type of items. Most are fantastic upgrades to their common counterparts, and some carry very interesting properties, including regeneration, penetration, and absolute destruction. Unique items can only be encountered by chance, although certain special levels have a higher chance of one appearing. Modding a unique depends on the specific item involved."
Getting Started, p39: put this somewhere closer to the various other item mentions (like powerups and consumables)
Getting Started, p40: put this somewhere closer to the various command mentions
Getting Started, extra: missing any mention of artifacts, even if vague. Example: "Artifact - Items of this category are revered as the best in the game. It can only appear on certain special levels, after overcoming a great challenge. There are only two known artifacts so far."

Whew. That's the big section: I'll hit the other areas later. (Introduction has no problems, by the way.)
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

rchandra

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 17:24 »

levelled / leveled is a British/US choice, though both forms are generally acceptable world-wide.
0.9.9.1-4: Arch-Vile Br. General [25/25/17/5/1]
0.9.9.5-7: Hell Baron Major [ 21 16 12 4 1 0 ]

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 17:42 »

Kornel is polish, so to polish up the writing, maybe we should use something that is more... American in spelling?  I'm assuming that most of the people are comfortable with American spelling, also brevity (we save one more character for some words given the difference between AmE and BrE forms).
I computed, therefore I was.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 23:21 »

Just a general note - I try to adhere to US english.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 00:03 »

Just a general note - I try to adhere to US english.
I've studied in the US for three years of my life, and I still write the way I write.

Gave my TA a lot of grief.  But the community partners whom I worked with were very delighted with the alternative spellings and phrases that they were seeing in the reports, so I think it was win-win.

Anyway, we all heard the God Hand.  AmE it is.
I computed, therefore I was.

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 01:07 »

One a side note, I've somewhat changed the manual a bit already. I'll take a look at it again shortly.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2010, 12:46 »

One a side note, I've somewhat changed the manual a bit already. I'll take a look at it again shortly.
If you think an editor would help the process, I'd be glad to take a look at the revised copy (that is, if there's an easy way to send it). Again, the focus would be on syntactic and semantic edits, but I could whip up entirely new descriptions at request.

grommile

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
  • mmm beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 16:04 »

Another one that's been nagging at me for years:

"You don't have enough place in your backpack." should be "You don't have enough space in your backpack."
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 00:35 by Tavana »
0.9.9.7: 22-15-10-0-0 22/43 62/67 (P 349, D 43/67) 36/40 (B19 A12 M5) Arch-Vile CPT

Armorer Platinum and Diamond should be abolished; the Dragonslayer taboo deserves every scrap of mockery it receives.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2010, 16:51 »

Another one that's been nagging at me for years:

"You don't have enough place in your backpack." should be "You don't have enough space in your backpack."
lol that's kinda like a literal translation from Dutch, "Je hebt niet genoeg plaats in je rugzak".
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2010, 19:41 »

Getting Started, p38: Uniques -> Unique; (I'm just going to rewrite this while keeping the message clear.) "The rarest and most powerful type of items. Most are fantastic upgrades to their common counterparts, and some carry very interesting properties, including regeneration, penetration, and absolute destruction. Unique items can only be encountered by chance, although certain special levels have a higher chance of one appearing. Modding a unique depends on the specific item involved."

I'm quite sure that no unique can be modded. The reason exotics were added was to make the not-so-fantastic moddable uniques a bit more common and in a defined class of their own.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

rchandra

• Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2010, 21:02 »

Cybernetic Armour (like normal armour) and Railgun (once only, irrespective of whizkid) can be modded.  Perhaps others can?
0.9.9.1-4: Arch-Vile Br. General [25/25/17/5/1]
0.9.9.5-7: Hell Baron Major [ 21 16 12 4 1 0 ]

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2010, 22:51 »

I'm quite sure that no unique can be modded. The reason exotics were added was to make the not-so-fantastic moddable uniques a bit more common and in a defined class of their own.
Cybernetic Armour (like normal armour) and Railgun (once only, irrespective of whizkid) can be modded.  Perhaps others can?
In addition, Railgun allows for a single modification to it. (Although I suppose this could be a bug.) Not really sure about the others, although it's true that the modding capabilities of all uniques together are really low. I would revise my original statement to say the following: "Allowed modifications on unique items are exceedingly rare, though this is to be expected for items of such high quality."

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2011, 22:38 »

A minor error, but since no one's mentioned it...

In the "more" text for Nightmare Cacodemons, it says "If a normal cacodemon wouldn't be bad enough...  These creatures seem a nightmarish version of the imp."

Looks like somebody copy+pasted the text from nightmare imps and forgot to change that one word.  :)

And if you want to be a *real* stickler for details, I think it reads better if you change "wouldn't be" to "isn't"

The description should be completely changed in 0.9.9.2. If not, and I'm crazy, it will be changed for 0.9.9.3 - Tavana
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 00:49 by Tavana »
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Nameless

• First Sergeant
  • Proud owner of 22/22 bronzes: "It's a start!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2011, 18:08 »

There's an error in the description of Shockwave Packs: 'useful' should be spelled with one L.

Changed. - Tavana
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 01:43 by Tavana »

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 01:22 »

This is kind of like a typo.
Blue arrows appear in the player screen to show you that you can scroll upwards if there's a bit of text above your current position in the screen.
...but there's no coresponding downward arrows, so it's not very obvious whether there's any text below your screen or not.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9