Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 14:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Doom the Roguelike: The Album All-In-One Mega Thread  (Read 79268 times)

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Doom the Roguelike: The Album All-In-One Mega Thread
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2012, 10:56 »

I like it :)

GinDiamond

• First Sergeant
  • Warrant Officer-Mancubus, trying to get all Bronze
    • View Profile
    • GinDiamond Stuff
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2012, 12:33 »

My favorites are the Unholy Cathedral, Something Wicked, and the Brick Song.

I also like Dark Secrets. What special level is this for?

It sounds really great. I would have like it for Walls of Ice!
Do not muddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Simon-v

• Composer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Only Human
    • View Profile
    • The Life and Works of One Simon Volpert
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2012, 09:22 »

My favorites are the Unholy Cathedral, Something Wicked, and the Brick Song.

I also like Dark Secrets. What special level is this for?

It sounds really great. I would have like it for Walls of Ice!

Thanks!

I normally announce new tracks in a separate post in this thread. The relevant post is:
Without the usual long preambles (see previous posts if you wish to see what they were like) and completely missing the DoomRL 0.9.9.6G release, i present my misplaced attempt at the theme for The Vaults, aptly named Dark Secrets, for what happens to be peer review.

Of exactly one person.

Pity he won't be able to do it for a while.

(More details are to be found in the first post).

A fair warning: most of this track is "ambient", and there is some repetition. Some people find this sort of stuff "uninteresting". I can't help you with that, so just crank up the music volume, sit back and enjoy the ride while doing something else (like killing the resident mancubi and arkh-viles, for example).

You may use it freely, as long as you don't violate the — fairly lax — license terms (credit where credit is due, no selling it for money and derivative works licensed alike).

Thexare

• Elder
  • Captain
  • I think I need a new favorite gun now...
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2012, 00:26 »

I've been wanting to try making some music of my own, and I was wondering what program you use. I distinctly recall you answering this very question somewhere, but it's not in this topic...
Former Human Corporal
1/42 M, 7/60 S, 3/30 A
[ 6 / 1 / 0 / 0 / 0 ]

Simon-v

• Composer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Only Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2012, 03:57 »

I've been wanting to try making some music of my own, and I was wondering what program you use. I distinctly recall you answering this very question somewhere, but it's not in this topic...

This comes up fairly often. I guess i should make a FAQ entry or something.

My actual requirements are fairly simple. I need a MIDI sequencer of some sorts that can do some kinds of effects, a MIDI player/renderer that can write to WAV and a collection of high-quality samples for it. For a while now, these requirements were satisfied by TuxGuitar (which behaves a whole lot like GuitarPro (or so i heard), and also provides the benefit of being able to verify offhand that the composition will be playable on real-world instruments), FluidSynth for the rendering and Frank Wen's Fluid, release 3 as the soundfont.

Truth to be told, you don't need any kind of awesome software to create; All you need is enough inspiration and persistence to make a 30-second, four-instrument loop that doesn't suck. Later, when you improve so much that you grow out of your tools, you will know what you need to replace them with.

You're welcome. (I'll be adding a FAQ page on my website sometime soon and putting this one in it. Yeah, i better.)

GinDiamond

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • GinDiamond Stuff
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2012, 13:02 »

Does TuxGuitar take a MIDI keyboard?
Do not muddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Simon-v

• Composer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Only Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2012, 23:12 »

The forums claim that a plugin to do that is in development. Of course, there are always other programs, perhaps even more suitable for the job. (Rosegarden, maybe? Who knows. Didn't check it for years.)

Simon-v

• Composer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Only Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2012, 11:36 »

Without the usual long preambles (see previous posts if you wish to see what they were like) and making great use of Kornel being busy with things that are not DoomRL, i present my misplaced attempt at the theme for The (Un)Chained Court, aptly named Rage! for some kind of peer review.

(More details are to be found in the first post).

With that, we're back to metal-like stuff, i guess.
The track name is pronounced similarly to "RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!!!!!!111111111~" or somesuch. I don't insist that you pronounce it like that specifically, though. A single exclamation mark will do just fine.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2012, 13:19 »

Nice and doomy... I'll try it out in game to see how it fits. I guess that's a good excuse to postpone my attempts at a N! run and do an UV Conqueror run or something I should be able to do.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2012, 15:56 »

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!111111LOLOL
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2012, 19:26 »

Hmm, I dunno... It's kind of neat, but for something called "Rage!" it seems a little tame.

Simon-v

• Composer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Only Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2012, 01:42 »

Well, i'm sorry i couldn't blow your mind!

Thexare

• Elder
  • Captain
  • I think I need a new favorite gun now...
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 07, 2012, 02:41 »

It *was* in this topic? Weird. Could've sworn I read through every post. Clearly not. Thanks for digging it up.

Truth to be told, you don't need any kind of awesome software to create; All you need is enough inspiration and persistence to make a 30-second, four-instrument loop that doesn't suck. Later, when you improve so much that you grow out of your tools, you will know what you need to replace them with.
The problem with that (and the reason for asking) is that I've never had the first idea what programs are worth using even to start with. Yeah, one could test their look with a random program from a Google search, but finding a program doesn't necessarily mean you'll find one that's worth fucking around with; if you have no experience with something, you're not going to have the first clue what is and is not necessary for adequate results.
Former Human Corporal
1/42 M, 7/60 S, 3/30 A
[ 6 / 1 / 0 / 0 / 0 ]

Matt_S

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2012, 12:57 »

It *was* in this topic? Weird. Could've sworn I read through every post. Clearly not. Thanks for digging it up.
The problem with that (and the reason for asking) is that I've never had the first idea what programs are worth using even to start with. Yeah, one could test their look with a random program from a Google search, but finding a program doesn't necessarily mean you'll find one that's worth fucking around with; if you have no experience with something, you're not going to have the first clue what is and is not necessary for adequate results.
It can be difficult to find one that's featured and not buggy, especially if you're looking for open-source stuff.  There's quite a few projects, but most of them seem to be version 0.x.  Despite asking this myself a while back, I never got too heavy into the music composition stuff.

Besides TuxGuitar, another one that I've used a bit is Aria Maestosa.  Another one that might be worth looking into is Sekaiju, which seems pretty feature-heavy.  That's a good thing and a bad thing, because it might be kind of overwhelming and confusing with being able to directly control midi events.  That's partly why I haven't really tried it out.  Another one that looks fairly capable is Frinika, which can do more than midi but is at version 0.7.1.  I also specifically remember using a Java program a long time ago, but I'll be damned if I can remember what is was called, and google has failed me so far... EDIT: it was MidiSwing, and it hasn't been updated for around 2 years, and it's only at version 0.3.6b.  Would not recommend it then.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 13:03 by Matt_S »

GinDiamond

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • GinDiamond Stuff
« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2012, 07:08 »

What's the Rage! track for? A new special level?

Oh, and I'm trying to make tracks for special levels in Inferno.
Could you help with that?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8