Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 13:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Is RocketJumping practical?  (Read 1930 times)

Toan

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Is RocketJumping practical?
« on: November 09, 2010, 03:44 »

If so, when would you use it? 6-36 dmg normally, 1/2 dmg = 3-18, 6-36%, and it gives extra knockback. I think 36% is a bit drastic, but that's if you're unlucky. I suppose you COULD use it to hit something right up close, if you don't have time to switch to another weapon...

At least, it saves me sometimes, because i forget I have it out, instead of my usual primary (I like my Rougelikes hard, fast and loose, even if they are turn-based) and it rocketjumps me, instead of blowing up in my face. (If i'm chain-firing.)

So, when is it practical? City of skulls?

Thanks.
Cacodemon Sergeant
[11/3/1/0/0]

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
Re: Is RocketJumping practical?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 04:39 »

I personally find the most use out of it at Hellgate. Great way to blow past the monsters there.

Rocket-jumping works out to one tile per point of damage taken, so you can get blown rather far on a single shot. MFa/TaN/armor all screw this up, however, because you're taking less or no damage.

I suppose you COULD use it to hit something right up close, if you don't have time to switch to another weapon...
There's no way it's worth the damage you're going to take (and the shot is probably not going to kill whatever you're shooting) and if 1.0sec is going to kill you, you probably set yourself up on that one.

Mind you, hitting an object with a rocket-jump attack doesn't actually propel you.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
Re: Is RocketJumping practical?
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 09:29 »

I never rocketjump... so useless. Maybe if you're under heavy attack by monsters and you ARE going to die in the next few turns unless you could escape that way, then, maybe it's useful as a very last resort. IMO, at least.
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!
Pages: [1]