Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 02:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Berserk 7DRL - DAY 3  (Read 5760 times)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Berserk 7DRL - DAY 3
« on: October 19, 2006, 19:25 »

A little later than usual (because yesterday I didn't have time, and today I had a power outage), but here's the 3rd day (birthday day for me ^_^) release of Berserk:

http://chaosforge.org/files/berserk-day3-bin.zip

Official features:
-- knives and bombs! (under "k" and "b")
-- crossbow reload ("r")
-- energy consuming running mode ("TAB")
-- revised combat and knockback system

Unofficial features:
-- a new s-o-b monster

I'm interested especially in how the new combat and knockback systems feel. Any suggestions/opinions welcome. Also I would like to know wether the new monster is a challange despite it's really low speed. Note that this is the first release where the player can be knocked back! Also, look out for the bomb radius :).
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Fingerzam

• Local Inquisitor
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Berserk 7DRL - DAY 3
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 22:34 »

This version is easies and much more fun. Did you increase Gatts' damage, or lower the hitpoints of beasts?

Quoting: Kornel Kisielewicz
Also I would like to know wether the new monster is a challange despite it's really low speed.

Well, they are really easy to handle due to their low speed, but if they manage to hit you, you'r dead. This creates certain tension to the game, you have to run away from 'em to handle 'em alone.

Knives definitevily need something more to make them unique. Either higher damage or piercing perhaps? Haven't tried bombs yet.

Running mode rocks! Makes the game more tactical.

How exactly is the combat system revised?

My current record: 498 beasts, 79 bulldemons and 16 mandagores

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Berserk 7DRL - DAY 3
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 00:43 »

I agree with Fingerzam that knives lack something that would make them stand out - especially since there are only 5. As for bombs, they can be amazingly ineffective damage-wise at times

Very usefull

Apart from the game beeing a bit easier, and the player knockback, I didn't notice any changes. Also I must say I dislake player knockback - while I understand why you want this implemented, in effect it only gets frustrating

-- a new s-o-b monster

Actually Mandragoras didn't feel too powerfull for me - every time i fought them they went down easily, I'm still more on a lookout againts bulldemons, than mandragoras.
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Berserk 7DRL - DAY 3
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 02:52 »

Quoting: Fingerzam
This version is easies and much more fun. Did you increase Gatts' damage, or lower the hitpoints of beasts?

I changed the combat system altogether.
Quoting: Fingerzam
Knives definitevily need something more to make them unique. Either higher damage or piercing perhaps? Haven't tried bombs yet.

The main advantage of knives should be their versality -- you can't fire nor reload the repeating crossbow in close combat, but you can throw a knife. I think that knives might come in handy in situations where you are in close combat, but need to kill another more dangerous incoming monster. If you have any other ideas to up the knives then tell me. Strikethrough is absurd imho :/.
Quoting: Malek
Also I must say I dislake player knockback - while I understand why you want this implemented, in effect it only gets frustrating

Well, I would like to hear the ideas of others about it. I may reduce the amount of knockback on the player for example, restricting it to realy powerfull blows.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Berserk 7DRL - DAY 3
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 04:20 »

ROTFL, I just noticed that there was a bug in the defense code, that reduced the chances of monsters making a defense to almost zero :|.

I solved the knives problem, by making Knife damage dependant on Strength -- will be usefull in the future -- when stats will be modifible, and when strenght boosts will happen (eg. Berserk mode in which it will be the only aviable ranged weapon)
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Fingerzam

• Local Inquisitor
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Berserk 7DRL - DAY 3
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 07:54 »

Well, I would like to hear the ideas of others about it. I may reduce the amount of knockback on the player for example, restricting it to realy powerfull blows.

Didn't annoy me.

I solved the knives problem, by making Knife damage dependant on Strength -- will be usefull in the future -- when stats will be modifible, and when strenght boosts will happen (eg. Berserk mode in which it will be the only aviable ranged weapon)

Sounds good.

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
Berserk 7DRL - DAY 3
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 08:19 »

Just finished a few games, and I have some suggestions.

The first suggestion is based on the 25 pain and 50 damage Ms do, and the fact that I wouldn't touch on with a non-projectile.

So are you planning on making projectiles randomly appear/dropped by enemies soon? Because even if I only use them on Ms, I still run out rather quickly.

None of the enemies have ranged attacks, meaning even Ms would be a laughing stock with projectiles being spawned. Maybe you should implement these at the same time.

Give a bit more cover (maybe some doors), so you can use tactics to evade enemies more easily.

Beasts are a joke. When fighting them one at a time (which is usually the case as I try to make sure I only fight one at a time) you take no damage except in the rarest of cases, as you usually kill 1 hit, and they usually miss.

Will the game always be played like this, rather than a normal roguelike? Not that that's a bad thing, as it's quite short and fun.

The aiming system needs the *s between you and the X, I need them! D:
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Fingerzam

• Local Inquisitor
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Berserk 7DRL - DAY 3
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 11:13 »

Quoting: Thomas
The first suggestion is based on the 25 pain and 50 damage Ms do, and the fact that I wouldn't touch on with a non-projectile.

They are so slow that you can do this: hit, retreat, hit, retreat, hit, retreat, and so on. They won't get a chance to hit you.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Berserk 7DRL - DAY 3
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 17:54 »

So are you planning on making projectiles randomly appear/dropped by enemies soon? Because even if I only use them on Ms, I still run out rather quickly.
Will the game always be played like this, rather than a normal roguelike? Not that that's a bad thing, as it's quite short and fun.

Give a bit more cover (maybe some doors), so you can use tactics to evade enemies more easily.

This will be tackeled in a separate post.
Beasts are a joke. When fighting them one at a time (which is usually the case as I try to make sure I only fight one at a time) you take no damage except in the rarest of cases, as you usually kill 1 hit, and they usually miss.

They're supposed to be the meat that makes the arena a bloodbath :D
The aiming system needs the *s between you and the X, I need them! D:

I can do that, but it will be buggy :|
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Pages: [1]