Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 12:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Welcome to ChaosForge Forums!  (Read 37335 times)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Welcome to ChaosForge Forums!
« on: November 20, 2006, 10:05 »

Welcome to chaosforge.org forums!

This new forum is based on the excellent SMF Forum engine. It is far superior to the old minibb engine, and in my opinion better then the everyewhere-present phpBB.

Forum options and skin has been a little modified to suit my vision, althought there will be undoubtely more changes in the future. If you have any requests or ideas post a reply to this topic!

Please keep in mind that I'm a little psycho about how the forum looks like :-). On the old forum there were pre-made postcount based avatars, and I was realy proud of how "tidy" the forum looked like because of that. To preserve that tidiness I'd like you to follow a few guidelines:

• Please do not put images in your signatures.
  • Avatars are disabled, but if you want one (and have at least 10 posts) then you can apply to the moderators to set you one up. To maintain forum tidiness I would want to ask you to have the avatar meet the following criteria:
    • be black and white (eventualy sepia or with a slight coloring)
    • be 64x64 in dimension (maybe change that to 80x80?)
    • be not outright silly (no homer simpson with his naked ass please)
  • Smilies are disabled, but you can still write them as the world created them ;]
  • DO NOT OVERUSE FORMATTING. Plain text is good for almost everything. Boldface and italics are fine, but increasing font size and changing color without good reasons is not.

P.S. The memberlist was moved too, so you can login with the minibb username/password. If you experience problems with this, please notify me on the IRC channel, or send an e-mail to Kornel.Kisielewicz at gmail dot com.

have fun, and post your comments!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 10:13 by Kornel Kisielewicz »
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Santiago Zapata

• Temple Guardian
  • Backer
  • First Lieutenant
  • Roguelike Developer
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
Re: Welcome to ChaosForge Forums!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 14:40 »

Dont know if it is just me, but seems the background image is not loading completely on long threads? I mean, it is not repeating fully (see the First victory thread from fortunato)
Slash (Castlevania, Metroid, Drash, ZeldaRL)
Temple of The Roguelike
Slashie.net

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 14:44 »

Yeah I know, it's a bug with the skin. I'll fix it someday :-P
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Santiago Zapata

• Temple Guardian
  • Backer
  • First Lieutenant
  • Roguelike Developer
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 14:47 »

Yeah... other than that, it is looking awesome ;)
Temple of The Roguelike
Slashie.net

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 14:50 »

Okay, I made a temporary fix of that... by making the backgroud fixed :>. You may need to force-reload to catch the new stylesheet. BTW, update your profile :>
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Santiago Zapata

• Temple Guardian
  • Backer
  • First Lieutenant
  • Roguelike Developer
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 15:07 »

Ok, done...

Also, the frontpage of chaosforge says froum.chaosforge.org , I think you meant "frown"
Temple of The Roguelike
Slashie.net

JimmyJ

• Major
  • Integrated Circuit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 18:41 »

I like these new forums , gj kornel :)
Howdy.

Santiago Zapata

• Temple Guardian
  • Backer
  • First Lieutenant
  • Roguelike Developer
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 14:18 »

Is it possible to change the "New topics"/"No new topics" icons to be a bit more different? the look too similar here :P
Temple of The Roguelike
Slashie.net

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 14:28 »

Is it possible to change the "New topics"/"No new topics" icons to be a bit more different? the look too similar here :P
Yeah I know -- but they're just a placeholder till I make my own. I need a logo for ChaosForge btw :-P

Spoiler: Spoiler Test (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 14:44 by Kornel Kisielewicz »
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 21:22 »

Nice spoilers

Santiago Zapata

• Temple Guardian
  • Backer
  • First Lieutenant
  • Roguelike Developer
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 06:42 »

I will never be spoiled.I will never be spoiled.
Temple of The Roguelike
Slashie.net

Andrew Freeman

• Corporal
  • "ah-AH-CHOOOO!!!"
    • View Profile
    • Andrew's Spiffy Arts Page
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 07:56 »

Hey there, haven't been around for a really long time (due to school, work, and overall procrastination), so I thought I'd say hello here.

Hi.

Kornel, I just downloaded the latest version, and I'm just blown away! I'm really sorry I didn't stick around through all the beta testing.  I'm really impressed with all the additions.
[insert clever sig here]

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 23:44 »

Addendum:

If you have an account here, you must post some small number of posts in order to avoid an accidental culling of your account when we clean out the various 0-post spam accounts from time to time.  As the killing is automated, we are unable to separate the guilty from the innocent in the mass murder.

We have no fixed schedule on when we might want cull out the 0-post accounts, so try to contribute to the community as soon as you can to show that you are not just a spammer in disguise.  We will, however, cull posts that are obviously spammy in nature with the intent of evading this culling.

Once again, welcome to the ChaosForge Forums.
I computed, therefore I was.

Radagast

• First Sergeant
  • Cogito ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 08:08 »

Hi there, didn't know where to post but here goes. :)

Just wanted to express at least in a few words how thankful I am that this roguelike has become so good during the last years. :) It's probably my favorite at this point.

It has been developed in a great way, constantly improving and I have to say I'm a sucker for graphic tiles in such games where gameplay and difficulty/challenges is more or less the first priority. With that tile addition I was actually sold completely.
But what really counts is the atmosphere of the old doom, sound effects etc. You did manage to preserve it. Not a small feat. This is the best part of this roguelike IMO.

Ofc as you guessed I've been a doom fan during my early years of gaming as a kid, the music of this game still haunts me to this day (well in a good way, hehe), still love it for all it's worth.  The fact that I always loved RPGs too, also helps a bit.

I had played DoomRL a bit 1-2 years ago or so and had quickly quit it due to the difficulty I "thought" I saw in the game (silly me), but recently after months of trying different rogue-likes, more months of FTL-ing (I'm sure you at least heard of that game) and a pal's suggestion, I've recently revisited it mainly with 0.9.9.6G and I must say the polish I found is truly astonishing and remarkable for a RL.

Starting on HNTR I lost a few times till I understood the mechanics better, visited the forum and wiki many many times, and gradually went to HMP games and even managed to win once in AoMC in UV with some untouchable badges in the end.
Playing AoShotgun now on UV once again. Nightmare is still a no-no ofc. I guess it's kinda masochistic the idea of constant respawning, it's probably a difficulty only for a select few people and truly ruins the "fun" part of this game, at least in my eyes. I prefer to have fun. HMP/UV are pretty much up my alley for this. xD Challenge games are all intriguing.Great ideas there.

As a side note I thought the game was huge in terms of content for a coffee-break RL, too many challenges and things to do which is however a good thing for RPG veterans and people with too much free time on their hands.

But then this update comes... More special levels? More rebalancing? And loads and loads of other stuff and additions? Can't believe you guys found even more time to improve this game. (and make us lose even more hours/days of our lifetime :P ) The AI changes are more than welcome, such a game can ALWAYS use better AI to raise the difficulty. Always a good thing. The same goes for rebalancing items and crafts in such games, since not all are really useful etc.

I've been a silent user in this forum this last month or two (at least till now) but I decided to make an account after all. Oh well.

So, HAIL to all doomguys there. :)

PS : Since I practically play 2 hours or so almost every day, I might post a mortem or two sooner or later. Might even help with the wiki at some point if I can find the time.
[0.997G] Hell Baron, Lt. Colonel
SP:56/67, ASB:36/40, Medals: 28/43, Badges: 20|17|12|5|2|0
Games: 37 -- Wins: 0/2/3/5/0, best game so far: AoSh/UV/YAAM
Now trying: Arch-Vile/Colonel (11k kills, 150 melee kills, 3 Gold to get)
Pages: [1]