General > Forum

To edit or not to edit

(1/2) > >>

Malek Deneith:
Okay, as you might have noticed by now Kornel disabled ability dor users to edit own posts. I don't think it is a right thing to do (there are always situations when you notice something that can be better done by quick edit than posting another message) but I wasn't able to convince him. So I'm putting it in a pool about it in hopes that enough pressure from you will make him break :P

Vote away :)

Kornel Kisielewicz:
First of all let me tell you that there's a courtesy period of 90 minutes for modyfing your own post.

The reason why I locked the ability to freely edit one's post is the fact, that modified posts don't show up as new -- meaning that someone may put some new and important information in his post, and others WILL NOT NOTICE THAT. So (by locking that) I encourage to post again, so people may notice what you added :).

Malek Deneith:
Usually if people edit posts it's either to fix typos or correct things like first-post FAQ or something.

Besides for example if I would be making a listing of every secret in DoomRL (I know there is only one, but let's assume for a second that there are more) it would be better to edit first post and give a short "update" post than spread the info along the whole topic.

Also no-editing or short editing time may lead to doubleposting, and we don't like needles double posts, don't we?

Kornel Kisielewicz:

--- Quote from: Malek on November 20, 2006, 12:00 ---Usually if people edit posts it's either to fix typos or correct things like first-post FAQ or something.

--- End quote ---
If they want to do something like that they'll get moderator status for the given board.

--- Quote from: Malek on November 20, 2006, 12:00 ---Also no-editing or short editing time may lead to doubleposting, and we don't like needles double posts, don't we?

--- End quote ---
I'd rather see double posting than miss an important information.

But please vote! I will enable unlimited editing if there will be more votes for than against.

JimmyJ:
I vote yes. PTTP

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version