Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 06:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Maze level type- is it really necessary to have them?  (Read 11162 times)

Fanta Hege

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Will it work? I HAVE NO IDEA
    • View Profile
Re: Maze level type- is it really necessary to have them?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 15:03 »

Okay you guys, I can understand the point of the suprises killing you in mazes... but why the hell can't you just, you know, scout a head? Like in every level type there is? Open routes up?
This should be possible in any challenge mode apart from AoPC and AoB.
I can understand mazes to be cheap in AoPC, in AoB mazes are however useful level types in early game atleast as enemies get less spread and you can get face to face faster.

You can easily corner shoot those corners in mazes, hell its actually easier than in other level types. You have less spread for enemies. They are easy picking for scouting considering you don't need to shoot in many directions to guess their specific locations.

The amount of cover provided by mazes is enourmous. You can easily always find a safe place to corner shoot.

Only real problem in mazes are mancubi due of the fireing volley bug, but with scouting a head, even they shouldn't be a problem.

I'm gona sound a bit mean; But if mazes kill you in standart game, you're pretty bad at this game, unless the beta has killed the corner shooting complety.

And I'm gona say it again; Caverns are far cheaper and deadlier than mazes will ever be.
i dont even know anymore

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 15:29 »

Fanta, I must disagree with your statement about mazes in AoB.

Mazes in AoB, if you are aiming for 100% kills, as I do, are a friggin' death-trap. You can scout ahead, but one ill-placed barrel with one ill-placed imp can kill you in rather unfair manner. And you can't dodge, and sometimes, you can't even bypass.
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.

Sereg

• Chaos Acolyte
  • Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Angel of Overconfidence
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 19:47 »

I also like mazes, they're among the safest of levels for me.

They do take awhile to navigate, but I can't really see that being a problem for anyone other then an AoPc, AoRa, or a Compet-N/Icarus game.

Going for 100% kills could be a problem, I suppose, but moreso for AoRa then AoB (at least as far as my experience would lead me to believe - AoB is always easiest in small, confined space[for me], but an AoRa trying to clear a maze level had better hope for Invulnerability).

Edit: After checking the current built-in challenges, AoHa and AoRa are the only Angels required to complete 100% kills. AoB/100% is strictly optional as far as I can tell.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 19:51 by Sereg »
[26|22|23|15|15|2]
Cyberdemon Chaos Colonel

Medals - DRL 27/43 | XA 16/31

Kashi

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • I'm going with the Alucard now
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 11:53 »

An alternative is to have a maze level full of teleports.  =D

Now, this is one interesting idea. We really need to see shit like that around the game.

Either way, having mazes helps to add to the creepy atmosphere the game should have, being a RL of DooM, people. And what would add to the creepyness factor than a series of thin mazes where unknown dangers lurk, eager and ready to jump at our necks the moment they see us. I vote for them to stay, but adding a secondary maze type, with the "bunch of teleporters" idea of thelaptop.

EDIT: Now that I'm playing Doom and Doom 2 AGAIN (For memory's sake, mostly, as those were some of my first games), I see that several MAZES exist on the levels. Yes, noodle-thin mazes with enemies, barrels and stuff like that. It's viable that they should exist, because they were in the original (And they still scare like hell when something that moves pops out of the blue.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 14:11 by Kashi »
0.9.9.5 - Archvile 2nd Lieutenant
[22][10][5][1][0]
"Tururu..."

mcz117chief

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • Eternal warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 06:33 »

Although at 1st i was completely against the maze levels, I think it would be better to keep them but make the corridors wide, like in the example from Game Hunter.
Pages: 1 [2]  All