Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 01:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New Level Event: PORTALS!  (Read 4043 times)

Xander Morhaime

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Colonel
  • Boot to the head!
    • View Profile
New Level Event: PORTALS!
« on: January 04, 2011, 16:12 »

"The barrier between worlds seems to be particularly weak here..."

A level littered with many, many teleports. Hidden ones. As if ones you could see weren't bad enough... Though I suppose it would at least be fair to mark down one portal's location once it's been stepped in.
12. A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
Re: New Level Event: PORTALS!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 16:47 »

That sounds like a very evil idea. :>
But... I dunno. Sounds kinda too annoying, actually even frustrating to me.
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 17:24 »

I like the idea, though it should be either rare or a special level.

In fact, I think I'll make a prototype right now...

Fanta Hege

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Will it work? I HAVE NO IDEA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 17:37 »

Sounds kind of anoying if you ask me, I wouldn't mind if they were visible though.
I just don't find the idea of randomly walking, woop thrown here, taking another step, woop thrown somewhere else too fun.

Would also be extreemly pain in the arse for speed runners.
i dont even know anymore

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 01:24 »

Reminds me of a particular level in ADOM leading up to getting into the Assassin's Guild.

For me: 90% visible, 10% invisible could be a workable option. I'm not sure if I endorse the idea, though.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 01:34 »

Reminds me of a particular level in ADOM leading up to getting into the Assassin's Guild.
Yeah, and wasn't that level one of the most annoying places in ADOM? And that's not even counting the fact it's a high corruption zone. sorry, it's the level BELOW it that is...

In DoomRL as it is now, this sounds like it would be a death trap. When you step in a trap they get to take a potshot at you before you go (test in the spider's lair if you don't believe me).

Maybe if you remove the 1 second delay for teleporting from a still hidden trap...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 01:47 by Deathwind »
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 23:42 »

I liked that level...

And I like my level too!

Unfortunately there's a hard limit of about 120 or so items on the floor at a time, and teleporters count as items (a shame since the level is best with about 500).  If any modders know how to move the player directly than I can work around that.  Lastly, this level helps to illustrate just how annoying hidden teleporters can be, but they certainly aren't limited to blank rooms.  With a few minor tweaks the teleporter generator could be made to work in mazes, city levels, and lava pits--teleporting the player into lava being optional.

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 05:37 »

I thought it would be annoying, but with the example I see - it would be really cool. Maybe if we add monsters into the level it would be the death trap, so it will need some balancing, but still, it's great level.

Also, 120 is a good amount. 500 would be too much I suppose. And it would be cooler if teleporters would stay hidden. It would be even more a death trap if we add monsters, but it would more fit into the level message, given in the first post.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

Simon-v

• Composer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Only Human
    • View Profile
    • The Life and Works of One Simon Volpert
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 06:36 »

The prototype is awesome.

Just add some non-littering monsters and some loot instead some of the teleporters and let them free roam and avoid the teleporters (easy with the hazard flag) and a more-or-less obvious exit and we're good to go.

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 08:06 »

Okay, maybe I'm a bit more masochistic with my teleporters for wanting 500...

ZZ: The teleporters could stay hidden, but only if I defined them to be the same color and character as a regular floor tile, which is less than ideal in a real level.  Alternatively, if someone knows how to move beings in Lua, the reliance on teleporter items can be removed, and all sorts of fun things can be done.

I'll think I'll try applying the code to a 'real' level to see how it would work with monsters.

yaflhdztioxo

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
  • Lost Sole
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 12:01 »

Here's an example of a 'teleporter' level as described by the topic poster.  It contains a static level (since modders don't have access to the level generation features yet) that I copied from an earlier run and litters it with random teleporters.  About 120 to be exact.

It's to give you an idea of what this room type *could* be like.  As such it was hacked together a bit more clumsily :).  There are a few issues; I didn't spawn monsters which carry things due to the item limit, and they don't *quite* activate teleporters correctly.  There's also a lot of 'You hear an explosion' spam but I don't think that's my fault.

Overall it's a pleasant level.  Teleporters aren't an overbearing feature; they're more like a tool to help you escape from enemies or occasionally surprised by them.  A minor inconvenience, and sometimes an asset.  Overall I feel it's a good 'rare' room type, and with some of the modding changes that are reportedly already implemented, a 'proper' design that doesn't have any of the limitations I mentioned will be possible in the future.

Play long enough and you'll probably notice a pattern in the teleporter generation (a logical one; it means no impossible levels with little computational cost).  Oh; there's a 'secret' teleporter that exits the level (presumably to go somewhere special) in addition to the stairs.  And if you get TOO annoyed with the teleporters I marked them.  Doomguy must have a sixth sense because he won't just run into a teleporter...  But play it properly the first time and see what you think.
Pages: [1]